It's getting closer ....

The Melbourne cool change ......... tis 39.8  bayside but it has dropped 9 deg already in Geelong whoo hoo and on its way.

The dogs and I  can't wait .        ☺ 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: It's getting closer ....

Wowee it's now dropped to 32 in Melbourne.   I'd prefer a little less but this will do.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

So now I don't have to water the inverter anymore.     Have to laugh,   keep having to water the courtyard plants,  and then keep the inverter cool.  I noticed in the extreme heat my aircon was struggling then read that if the inverter gets full sun you have to keep it cool.New one on me, but now it's covered with a big sheet that I constantly water, and I do think it makes a difference.   Woman LOL  

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

33 over my way, wind is starting to come up now, didnt know that re the inverter, makes sense, I guess, one of mine only gets the morning sun, the other one is on the back verandah, so never in the direct sun  

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

My son is staying at our remote farm keeping an eye on the stock water. It was 46 there earlier today. The extreme heat has seen a number of fires start. Luckily they are a distance from our property at the moment so fingers crossed. If they get into the scrublands there will be no stopping them as temperatures are forecast to be extreme out there for the next week.

Son is working in the local pub in the evenings doing bar work so he might be rather busy tonight. I will load the firefighting equipment onto the ute tommorow and may head out there if the fires get closer.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Just checked the CFS website. Another fire has just started in the region in the last few minutes. There is nearly half a dozen fires going now over an 80 km. distance. that sounds a like a big distance, but in that arid country there is a lot of scrublands that run for up to 150 km. or more with scattered properties and cleared ground in between. If the fires get in the scrub they can move very quickly when temperatures are extreme and scrub is dry......The nearest fire is probably only 30 km. from our farm....... Its all a bit of a worry.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Eight fires going now, some not reported on the CFS website. Phoned my sister who lives on farm on the edge of the scrublands. Her husband has climbed to the top of the big windmill tower and he can see three fires within 20 km of his place on two different sides. Its still around 36 degrees out there now......       They have thier own 8000 litre water tank on a large 6wd army truck and neighbours have similar equipment, so they are very well equiped........ but..........

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Bit of a worrying time for you and those who live/farm in that area, hoping they can get the fire/s under control asap.  

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks bushy, It sounds like a couple of the fires are in the scrub and burning uncontrolled with no appliances etc. in attendance. The CFS website shows another grass fire on the edge of the cleared ground is burning uncontrolled with no appliances in attendance. It looks like the CFS are concentrating on the ones nearer homes etc. and just leaving the more remote fires to burn out of control. .

Theres nothing anyone can do with the scrub fires at night. During daylight they can use earthmoving equipment to make breaks and then back burn. Occasionally they send in the water bombing planes to assist........Thankfully its cooling down quite a bit now........Guess we just wait until morning and see what tommorow brings.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

26804737_933704703455478_3338646619052223104_n.png

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply