Julia Banks challenged to live on Youth Allowance

Liberal backbencher Julia Banks challenged to live on Youth Allowance payments after 'insulting' comments

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/liberal-backbencher-challenged-to-live-on-$40-a-day/9720950

these 'challenges' have been made in the past to well off politicians with big mouths, usually they run and hide.

i suspect julia will do the same.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

agreed, a proper test must be putting the loud mouthed pollie into the shoes of a person on youth allowance.

at least 4 weeks.

i'm sure finding someone to swap places wouldnt be difficult

swap pay packets too! of course.

Message 21 of 36
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

How working for free went mainstream

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/what-job-ads-reveal-about-the-rising-internship-culture/971391...

we have 'work for the dole' and 'internships'

how many other free workers positions are out there?

I dont buy the argument that  work for the dole is " free labour ".  While there are valid arguments that people on " work for the dole " are not being properly recompensed for their labor, they are being paid for that labour through the dole. Some are gaining valuable work skills that they then use in other regular paid employment.

There are simply not enough jobs to go around and low skilled workers are being impacted more by technology changes than skilled workers. While we can argue about the finer points of the scheme, what is wrong with the basic tenant that governments will provide these unemployed workers with part time work in exchange for the dole ? There are plenty of things that contribute to society in general, that are not currently done by public servents.

Or are there some on the dole who feel they are entitled to a living wage, paid for by others who are working, but dont believe they should contribute anything in return ?

well heres an idea, if your on the 'dole' and you put your hand up to do 'work for the dole' and you are accepted, every day you 'work for the dole' you get paid minimum wage? or the wage a person doing what ever your being required to do would get in the real world.?

that would seem fair to me and i bet a lot more people would be putting their hands up (not that they get a choice) and most of the negative publicity would go away.

Again it appears we have found some common ground David.

ABC radio interviewed a senior university finance proffesor a couple of weeks ago in response to the Greens proposal that every adult be given a basic living wage. He stated that the Greens proposal would cost $42,000,000,000. He also stated that total government spending was $48,000,000,000, so obviously it is a ridiculous idea.....BUT.....The proffesor did go on to outline a proposal almost identical to your statement above David.

Basically the dole would be scrapped and anyone who was unemployed would be offered genuine part time work by the government at around 20% ABOVE minimum wages up to an annual income of $24,000. A figure which is higher than the current dole and which gives a person some hope at least of living a modest lifestyle. He stated he had done extensive ecenomic moddeling of the idea and if this was introduced in place of the current dole it would cost around 2% of GDP. A figure which is affordable and would go some way to alleviating the ecenomic and social poverty that accompanies the current dole system.

With technology continuing to replace low skilled jobs, and other low to medium skilled jobs being exported to low wage countries it is probably time for Australia to seriously consider, re-configuring social policy to accomodate those who are being left behind in the jobs market.

Message 22 of 36
Latest reply

i think hell will freeze over before this govt gives the unemployed a rise in payment.

whenever the subject comes up we get the same old carp, the country cant aford it, the best way for the unemployed to get more money is to get a job yadda yadda yadda.

then they head into the parliment restuarant and put the feed bags on.

we dont see too many starving pollies do we?

i dont expect the unemployed to get paid the basic wage, but i do expect everyone on the public purse (pensioners, the disabled and the unemployed) to get a payment they can live on!

Message 23 of 36
Latest reply

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/02/newstart-embarrassing...

Let's hope if Shorten gets in he'll do something about it because this lot certainly won't. In fact I think they'll do their darndest to make life even harder (if that's possible) for those on Newstart.
Message 24 of 36
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/02/newstart-embarrassing...

Let's hope if Shorten gets in he'll do something about it because this lot certainly won't. In fact I think they'll do their darndest to make life even harder (if that's possible) for those on Newstart.

Dont hold your breath. Labor have been in government for most of the last decade and they didnt do anything then. The leader may have changed ( again ) but it is most of the same faces standing behind him who had plenty of opportunity while in power to increase the various social payments and they did absolutely nothing.

Message 25 of 36
Latest reply

oh ye of short memory

yes they were in power but only by a slender thread.

getting anything done during that period of govt was almost impossible.

remember tony 'i'm against it' abbott was leader of the opposition.

and didnt he have a field day opposing and blocking everything and anything GOOD or BAD.

and lets be frank (or betty) raising the youth allowence was an easy target to get the sheeple to think was a BAD idea, because as we all know anyone on newstart is a

DOLE BLUDGER

and the disabled and pensioners are almost as bad, sucking of the hard workers of australia.

give them a raise! are you CRAZY!

this is something that needs support from both sides IMO

Message 26 of 36
Latest reply

Admittedly Labor has done nothing to alleviate the hardships that Newstart recipients go through,however all the draconian measures to punish those on benefits were introduced by the Libs over the last 2 decades. Those divisive policies started under Howard.
On the subject of the cost to the taxpayer re unemployment,who privatised the CES? How much do all those private job networks,who don't do a thing to help the unemployed find a job,cost? Substantially more is my guess.
Message 27 of 36
Latest reply

On the subject of dole bludgers (scammers), read up on John Howard's father Scammer extraordinaire

https://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-secret-howard-plantations/2006/06/10/1149815326249.html
Message 28 of 36
Latest reply

"...had plenty of opportunity while in power to increase the various social payments and they did absolutely nothing."

Rudd increased the aged pension by $30 per week,the largest increase in years maybe decades.
Message 29 of 36
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
"...had plenty of opportunity while in power to increase the various social payments and they did absolutely nothing."

Rudd increased the aged pension by $30 per week,the largest increase in years maybe decades.

and from memory the opposition said we couldnt afford it. and opposed it.

Message 30 of 36
Latest reply