Keep your money in a tin or savings account. It appears that no one is safe any more.

I got robbed yesterday.
$1000.00 was swiped for my debit card. Sure glad I didn't have more in their.

$60.00 , $200.00,  $200.00, $200.00, $200.00, $200.00 all in a row.

You would think this would have made some alarm bells go off.

Since I fell for a PayPal phishing scam 12 years ago I have been watertight where emails and phone texts are concerned. Pretty sure my card was skimmed when I shopped ( physically ) in a new store yesterday.
I thought they couldn't get the CCV but...

"The printed CVV on your card is embedded in the card's magnetic strip. The chip has a digital CVV equivalent called the Integrated Chip Card Card Verification Value (CVV). So when you use your card in person, whether you swipe or insert the chip, your CVV will still be confirmed."
The bank ( NAB ) says the investigation will take 3-5 weeks.

No indication as to whether I will get my money back.

They gave me a pile of bs saying that criminals can make up the numbers but it's a bit of a stretch to generate a card number, expiry date and CCV
Does anyone know if I can get the cops to pay this shop a visit ?

Golden rule from now on is to only maintain a balance for day to day and PP's.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Keep your money in a tin or savings account. It appears that no one is safe any more.

Cash is good

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Re: Keep your money in a tin or savings account. It appears that no one is safe any more.

My thoughts are with you fixnwear.  It happened to me several years ago with my NAB card  Only discovered when I tried to pay in shop and was declined.  Fortunately not that much money and eventually was repaid by NAB several weeks later.  It makes you feel so sick and trusting nobody.

Hope it all turns out well for you.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

That is awful news.We have had a few times when there has been an unexpected charge on a credit card and we have had to cancel. I've got to the stage I prefer to pay by paypal now online, but I use my debit card a lot and I think you've just convinced me not to.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Absolutely sure it's going to be all good according to the T's & C's of the card.

I did absolutely nothing wrong.

I hope they nail the fraudster.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

UPDATE:

ALL GOOD.
Received a call from the NAB today.

All my money will be back in my account within 3 business days.

Apparently someone used my card details at an EFTPOS terminal.

Still have no idea why 5 x $200.00 + 1 x $60.00 transactions in quick succession ( I assume
because there were no time stamps on them ) weren't flagged by the NAB.

They wouldn't say in which shop the terminal was but I have my suspicions.

Not sure how long it will take to wear off but since the event I have been holding my breath

when paying at the supermarket...lol

No more large balances for this little black duck.

Now to find out how to set up a separate savings account.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Excellent news! The only thing that would make it better would be if an arrest ( of the perpetrator) was made!

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply