Lighting up Uluru

Fifteen tonnes of solar-powered lights are behind a visually spectacular art installation by artist Bruce Munro at Uluru, set to open on April 1.

• Weighs approximately 15 tonnes
  • Comprises more than 50,000 stems with frosted-glass spheres
  • Takes up an area the size of four football fields
  • Has travelled more than 19,000 kilometres around the world
  • Transported to Australia over 32 international and domestic flights

The project is Munro's largest incarnation of Field of Light, which has previously been installed at London's Victoria & Albert Museum, as well as across the United Kingdom, the United States and Mexico.

Although the project debuted abroad, the idea was actually conceived at Uluru in 1992.

Munro said he always dreamed it would one day be installed at the iconic Australian rock.

"Field of Light was one idea that landed in my sketchbook and kept on nagging at me to be done," Munro said.

Bruce Munro at Field of Light Uluru

"I now have the honour and privilege of returning to create an iteration of this artwork for the place that inspired it.

"A work conceived in the red desert returns to its birthplace springing from the dry ground."

The exhibition, aptly named Tili Wiru Tjuta Nyakutjaku or 'looking at lots of beautiful lights' in local Pitjantjatjara, will be in place for a full year throughout the desert's distinct seasons, and will close on March 31, 2017.

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOO

Well, I dunno.  I've never been there, but I believe Nature's Skylights are a highlight of the Uluru experience.

DEB

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Lighting up Uluru

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I've been there, Deb.   A spiritual experience that all Aussies should have.

Pity the photo doesn't show the rock though.  What's the good of a field

of lights around the rock, if ya can't see the rock.

Had a look around - found these ones -

Field of Light Uluru

Field of Light with Uluru in the background

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-22/uluru-lights-up-with-spectacular-art-installation/7266890

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Lighting up Uluru

Thanks for filling in my Source and additional photos, Stawka.

I wonder if the lights will be seen from Space.

DEB

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Lighting up Uluru

Hope the Aussie tax payer is not footing the bill.............................Richo.

Notice the date is April 1st.lol.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Lighting up Uluru

I was thinking the same Richo.  

Someone has paid for all the gear to get to Uluru.  Cost to set up.  Year's rent to the owners of the "paddock".

Now, if the light display had been announced on April 1, I would have said "Oh yeah, pull the other one, it lights up like a xmas tree"

DEB

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Lighting up Uluru

Maybe, maybe not.

Bruce Munro has done some huge light installations in the name of art

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bruce+munro+artist&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiesbuAotb...

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Lighting up Uluru

I don't think he will be given permission from the Indigenous ownrs to fix the lights all over the Rock. It would mean to drill holes and damage Uluru.

The lightshow from the ground may look spectacular, like wild flowers glowing in the night, but nothing can compete with the colour change of Uluru that nature provides evry 24 hours.

Sunrise and sunset produce different colours and so does moonlight, especially a full moon.

No artficial light will ever outdo nature.

Erica

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply