Lookin' at my phone

Pete Denahy - Looking At My Phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGVa1mS4IbU

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Lookin' at my phone

Yes, that would apply to about 90% of people today.

Message 2 of 41
Latest reply

Lookin' at my phone

haha, so true.

I had a surreal experience (well, to me anyway) a few years ago. I went into the city-Melbourne- by train. Been many years since I did that and back in the old days, the peak hour people would all be reading their newspapers. I looked around me that day though and noticed that just about every single person there now had their head in either a phone or an ipad.

I felt like I was a time traveller, the only one with a book.

And when my kids & their partners visit, it is only a matter of time till some of them whip out their smart phones. I feel like asking-am I boring you?

Even friends who have such phones-though they won't go web surfing when we are together-are almost paranoid about getting to their phone if they hear the ding of a message coming through and quickly answer it. 

How did they ever survive back in the days when going out meant being out of touch for a few hours?

Message 3 of 41
Latest reply

Lookin' at my phone

@springyzonewrote:

haha, so true.

I had a surreal experience (well, to me anyway) a few years ago. I went into the city-Melbourne- by train. Been many years since I did that and back in the old days, the peak hour people would all be reading their newspapers. I looked around me that day though and noticed that just about every single person there now had their head in either a phone or an ipad.

I felt like I was a time traveller, the only one with a book.

And when my kids & their partners visit, it is only a matter of time till some of them whip out their smart phones. I feel like asking-am I boring you?

Even friends who have such phones-though they won't go web surfing when we are together-are almost paranoid about getting to their phone if they hear the ding of a message coming through and quickly answer it. 

How did they ever survive back in the days when going out meant being out of touch for a few hours?

In the olden days (!!) train travellers would read their newspapers then leave them on the seat for the next commuter to read.  Very handy that was sometimes.

I am continually amazed at the desperation people have to get to their phones when they ring.  It's only in the past year that I have gone from the old Telstra wall phone to a cordless one (family bought it for me due to health concerns....it wasn't my idea).  If I'm really busy doing something and it rings I may choose to ignore it.  I haven't seen that happen with those members of the family with smart phones.  It must be the phones that are smart - it certainly isn't the owners.  I've also seen several near car accidents as a result of mobile phones in cars.

Message 4 of 41
Latest reply

Lookin' at my phone

When they make a phone that will tell indian call centre fools to &#%@* off without me doing anything, then i'll call em SMART phones.

until then they are just phones with anoying features i dont need

Message 5 of 41
Latest reply

Lookin' at my phone

I switched phone providers when the NBN came in.  Since then I've been hassled by foreign sounding Telstra call people trying to sell me 'great deals'.  Ha.  That's what I wanted when I had to go on the NBN...but their lowest package was more than I'd need and too expensive. 

I'd been a Telstra customer since I first got a phone.  After I gave them the boot they phoned and I explained why I was no longer a customer and I was told there was a better deal I could have had.  Yeah right, since it was never offered to me at the time. 

Now they can stick it....but they keep phoning drat it.

Message 6 of 41
Latest reply

Lookin' at my phone

Register your phone number on the Do Not Call Register

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/consumers/register-your-numbers/

Message 7 of 41
Latest reply

Lookin' at my phone

@imastawkawrote:

Register your phone number on the Do Not Call Register

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/consumers/register-your-numbers/

Won't make much diffence as it doesn't/can't cover calls coming from outside Au

Message 8 of 41
Latest reply

Lookin' at my phone

Maybe not, but if they are representing Telstra, then Telstra cops a fine when you dob them in.

They're supposed to check the register before phoning

Message 9 of 41
Latest reply

Lookin' at my phone

@imastawkawrote:

Maybe not, but if they are representing Telstra, then Telstra cops a fine when you dob them in.

They're supposed to check the register before phoning

These calls are being made from call centres outside Au, they may claim to be from Telstra but they aren't, so in reality they have nothing to do with Telstra

Message 10 of 41
Latest reply