Meanwhile, back at the ranch

can anyone advise me on hanging plants. No, not hanging my plants - they have done nothing wrong - I meaning plants that hang.

I have a retaining wall. I would like to plant some plants at the top of the wall and 'train them' to fall down to cover the retaining wall.

Are there such plants or would I have to plant some at the bottom of the wall and let them grow up the wall?

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Meanwhile, back at the ranch

Hi, Rabbit, good to see you back.

There are lots of great suggestions for your wall. May I add a couple I just thought of that would grow in your conditions.

AcalyphaHispida.jpg

Acalypha - Chenille plant, interspersed with Trailing Lobelia.

Lobelia.jpg

lipstick.jpg

Lipstick plant and Trailing Violets

violet.jpg

Once the plants are established, they will grow well in part shade.

Bunnings have such a great variety of plants that will grow well in your region, and very helpful staff to advise you on the right choice.

Good luck with the gardening. Please show us a photo of the end result.

Errica

Message 61 of 64
Latest reply

@lind9650 wrote:

Hi, Rabbit, good to see you back.

There are lots of great suggestions for your wall. May I add a couple I just thought of that would grow in your conditions.

AcalyphaHispida.jpg

Acalypha - Chenille plant, interspersed with Trailing Lobelia.

Lobelia.jpg

lipstick.jpg

Lipstick plant and Trailing Violets

violet.jpg

Once the plants are established, they will grow well in part shade.

Bunnings have such a great variety of plants that will grow well in your region, and very helpful staff to advise you on the right choice.

Good luck with the gardening. Please show us a photo of the end result.

Errica

you can't rush these things ya know. It took 3 years to finish the wall - well, actually it's not finished yet - about 95%.

I remember I said to her-indoors, I'll have it finished by xmas - but, I didn't say which xmas. I think it will be finished by THIS xmas, but don't hold me to it.

Thanks again for the great ideas.

Message 62 of 64
Latest reply

I have one of those Chenille plants.   Looks just like that pic.    But........

you have to cut it back reasonably hard each winter to get that many

flowers back on it for spring/summer.

Everyone who visits wants to steal it

Message 63 of 64
Latest reply

I love that chenille plant, wish I could have it here but it would be just more food for the possums, the little critters eat anything that moves in my courtyard, flowers, green plants,  spiky succulents, it's an uphill battle

In fact I think I'll start another thread asking ppl what they do to deter them.

Message 64 of 64
Latest reply