Meanwhile, back at the ranch

can anyone advise me on hanging plants. No, not hanging my plants - they have done nothing wrong - I meaning plants that hang.

I have a retaining wall. I would like to plant some plants at the top of the wall and 'train them' to fall down to cover the retaining wall.

Are there such plants or would I have to plant some at the bottom of the wall and let them grow up the wall?

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Rabbit, if you don't answer the questions put to you, we are not able to help correctly.

There are many plants that will grow down a wall, most that grow upwards need some support to climb, except IVY, that will cling to anything, anywhere and become a nuisance to control.

The right description of your retaining wall will get you the right answers.

Erica

Message 11 of 64
Latest reply

Does Wisteria grow in QLD temps? I thought it was more of a cold climate plant.

Message 12 of 64
Latest reply

I can't grow it here.
Message 13 of 64
Latest reply

go with geraniums. plant at the top of the wall let them grow down, you can get them in lots of colours, they are very hardy too
Message 14 of 64
Latest reply

Is there a 'hanging' geranium type?

Message 15 of 64
Latest reply

If you live in Qld, Wisteria will grow there, Ivy geraniums can also be planted along the top of the wall and will trail down it
Message 16 of 64
Latest reply

Japanese wisteria will only grow in the colder parts of Qld.
There is a native wisteria that will grow here but it is hard to find in nurseries.
I tried to grow several Japanese ones without success as it always died when summer hit.
Message 17 of 64
Latest reply

ipomoea horsfalliae

8.jpg  gt.jpg

I don't use common names, but the common name for this is Cardinal creeper.  I have grown it and it is beautiful, very showy.  You can train it to grow where you want it. 

Message 18 of 64
Latest reply

Strange re Wisteria, cpl of my friends live in Brisse and have no problems growing it
Message 19 of 64
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:
Japanese wisteria will only grow in the colder parts of Qld.
There is a native wisteria that will grow here but it is hard to find in nurseries.
I tried to grow several Japanese ones without success as it always died when summer hit.

you mean hardenbergia? the purple one  grows biggish the white and pink ones grow small and wouldn't cover much. bunnings sells it.

Message 20 of 64
Latest reply