Meat-Eaters: Defend why you eat meat.

Message 1 of 131
Latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: Meat-Eaters: Defend why you eat meat.

@icyfroth wrote:

@siggie-reported-by-alarmists wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

As humans are Omnivores.......we actually have more in common with carnivores than herbivores...........

Early humans were eating meat  over a million years ago and  possibly as far back as 2.6 million years go.

Yeah but they died out.

If they died out.........we wouldn't 't be here.......... sigh.........

The term "hominid" is also used in the more restricted sense as hominins or "humans and relatives of humans closer than chimpanzees".[2]

In this usage, all hominid species other than Homo sapiens are extinct.

A number of known extinct genera are grouped with humans in the Homininae subfamily, others with orangutans in the Ponginae subfamily.

The primatological term hominid is easily confused with a number of very similar words:

• A hominine is a member of the subfamily Homininae: gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos and humans (excludes orangutans).

• A hominin is a member of the tribe Hominini: modern humans and their extinct relatives.

Homo sapiens (Latin: "wise man") is the scientific name for the human species. Homo is the human genus, which also includes Neanderthals and many other extinct species of hominid;

H. sapiens is the only surviving species of the genus Homo.

Modern humans are the subspecies Homo sapiens sapiens, which differentiates them from what has been argued to be their direct ancestor, Homo sapiens idaltu.

Anatomically modern humans first appear in the fossil record in Africa about 195,000 years ago, and studies of molecular biology give evidence that the approximate time of divergence from the common ancestor of all modern human populations was 200,000 years ago.

From Wikipedia

Ok but the question is, did humans eat meat back then?

Yes of course they did. You eat pretty much anything to survive. Bugs, snails, whatever you can catch or kill. Ask Bear Grylls. There would have been long periods in earth's history where it would have been difficult to grow food or harvest it from nature.

The point is, humans are not naturally meat eaters and can survive, even thrive on a vegetarian diet.

Humans can also manage the ingestion and digestion of meat quite well but cannot live exclusively on meat without serious health issues such as bowel and heart disease.

By all means enjoy a good hearty steak or roast (I do) but don't kid youself that a diet high in animal products is good for you.

A good  barbeque is appropriate for today's ANZAC day holiday, I think, pity it's raining.

Human evolution

This article is about the divergence of Homo saapiens from other species.

For a complete timeline of human evolution, see Timeline of human evolution. For other uses, see Human evolution (disambiguation)."Evolution of Man" redirects here. For the album by Example, see The Evolution of Man.Human evolution is the evolutionary process leading up to the appearance of modern humans. While it began with the last common ancestor of all life, the topic usually covers only the evolutionary history of primates, in particular the genus Homo, and the emergence of Homo sapiens as a distinct species of hominids (or "great apes").

The study of human evolution involves many scientific disciplines, including physical anthropology, primatology, archaeology, ethology, linguistics, evolutionary psychology, embryology and genetics.[1]Genetic studies show that primates diverged from other mammals about 85 million years ago in the Late Cretaceous period, and the earliest fossils appear in the Paleocene, around55 million years ago.[2] The family Hominidae diverged from the Hylobatidae (Gibbon) family 15-20 million years ago, and around 14 million years ago, the Ponginae (orangutans), diverged from the Hominidae family.[3] Bipedalism is the basic adaption of the Hominin line, and the earliest bipedal Hominin is considered to be either Sahelanthropus or Orrorin, with Ardipithecus, a full bipedal, coming somewhat later. The gorilla and chimpanzee diverged around the same time, about 4-6 million years ago, and either Sahelanthropus or Orrorin may be our last shared ancestor with them. The early bipedals eventually evolved into the australopithecines and later the genus Homo.

Consider what evolution means Icy.....lol.

no argument from me on this point siggie...lol

after millennia, humans have still not evolved to carnivores, though.

Woman LOL

That's because humans are omnivores.......both carnivores and omnivores eat meat....... herbivores do not......Woman Wink

in reply to poddster

Because, as a human, I have a carnivores  mouth and digestive tract.... not a herbivores.

There are major differences between the two.......humans are designed to eat meat.....so I do....:womanvery-happy:

Are you saying you're not entirely human? Cat Wink

Woman LOL

By all means eat all the meat you like. It's your colon.

As I said........ humans are designed to eat meat......... so I do..........Woman Happy

If you feel you have more in common with a ruminant......... I would understand that......lol.

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 111 of 131
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

As humans are Omnivores.......we actually have more in common with carnivores than herbivores...........

Early humans were eating meat  over a million years ago and  possibly as far back as 2.6 million years go.

Yeah but they died out.

The term "hominid" is also used in the more restricted sense as hominins or "humans and relatives of humans closer than chimpanzees".[2]

A number of known extinct genera are grouped with humans in the Homininae subfamily, others with orangutans in the Ponginae subfamily.

The primatological term hominid is easily confused with a number of very similar words:

• A hominine is a member of the subfamily Homininae: gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos and humans (excludes orangutans).

• A hominin is a member of the tribe Hominini: modern humans and their extinct relatives.

Homo sapiens (Latin: "wise man") is the scientific name for the human species. Homo is the human genus, which also includes Neanderthals and many other extinct species of hominid;

Modern humans are the subspecies Homo sapiens sapiens, which differentiates them from what has been argued to be their direct ancestor, Homo sapiens idaltu.

Anatomically modern humans first appear in the fossil record in Africa about 195,000 years ago, and studies of molecular biology give evidence that the approximate time of divergence from the common ancestor of all modern human populations was 200,000 years ago.

From Wikipedia

Yes of course they did. You eat pretty much anything to survive. Bugs, snails, whatever you can catch or kill. Ask Bear Grylls. There would have been long periods in earth's history where it would have been difficult to grow food or harvest it from nature.

The point is, humans are not naturally meat eaters and can survive, even thrive on a vegetarian diet.

Humans can also manage the ingestion and digestion of meat quite well but cannot live exclusively on meat without serious health issues such as bowel and heart disease.

By all means enjoy a good hearty steak or roast (I do) but don't kid youself that a diet high in animal products is good for you.

A good  barbeque is appropriate for today's ANZAC day holiday, I think, pity it's raining.

Human evolution

For a complete timeline of human evolution, see Timeline of human evolution. For other uses, see Human evolution (disambiguation)."Evolution of Man" redirects here. For the album by Example, see The Evolution of Man.Human evolution is the evolutionary process leading up to the appearance of modern humans. While it began with the last common ancestor of all life, the topic usually covers only the evolutionary history of primates, in particular the genus Homo, and the emergence of Homo sapiens as a distinct species of hominids (or "great apes").

The study of human evolution involves many scientific disciplines, including physical anthropology, primatology, archaeology, ethology, linguistics, evolutionary psychology, embryology and genetics.[1]Genetic studies show that primates diverged from other mammals about 85 million years ago in the Late Cretaceous period, and the earliest fossils appear in the Paleocene, around55 million years ago.[2] The family Hominidae diverged from the Hylobatidae (Gibbon) family 15-20 million years ago, and around 14 million years ago, the Ponginae (orangutans), diverged from the Hominidae family.[3] Bipedalism is the basic adaption of the Hominin line, and the earliest bipedal Hominin is considered to be either Sahelanthropus or Orrorin, with Ardipithecus, a full bipedal, coming somewhat later. The gorilla and chimpanzee diverged around the same time, about 4-6 million years ago, and either Sahelanthropus or Orrorin may be our last shared ancestor with them. The early bipedals eventually evolved into the australopithecines and later the genus Homo.

Woman LOL

That's because humans are omnivores.......both carnivores and omnivores eat meat....... herbivores do not......Woman Wink

in reply to poddster

Because, as a human, I have a carnivores  mouth and digestive tract.... not a herbivores.

There are major differences between the two.......humans are designed to eat meat.....so I do....:womanvery-happy:

Woman LOL

As I said........ humans are designed to eat meat......... so I do..........Woman Happy

If you feel you have more in common with a ruminant......... I would understand that......lol.

It always amazes me how little people understand evolution.  Humans are not designed. We adapted thru our enviornment in a process call natural selection. Eating meat gave us a survival advantage in our homonid history .

Message 112 of 131
Latest reply

@matthew_mark_luke_and_bob wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

Yeah but they died out.

From Wikipedia

Human evolution

Woman LOL

in reply to poddster

Woman LOL

It always amazes me how little people understand evolution.  Humans are not designed. We adapted thru our enviornment in a process call natural selection. Eating meat gave us a survival advantage in our homonid history .

Don't like the word design?....lol.

Then substitute with your choice of synonym..... 

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 113 of 131
Latest reply

Dear Icyfroth,

I appreciate your kudos but must inform you that you are on the wrong side of the argument. Humans are not herbivores and neanderthaler interbred with humans so that bits of their (male only) DNA can still be found in modern humans.

Message 114 of 131
Latest reply

well, that's how most modern humans reproduce

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 115 of 131
Latest reply

As I said........ humans are designed to eat meat......... so I do..........:womanhappy:

If you feel you have more in common with a ruminant......... I would understand that.....

Not all herbivores are ruminants - elephants, for example, only have one stomach, and so do rabbits. he one thing that suggests any creature is or was at one time herbivorous is the length of the gut- you need a long gut to digest plant material successfully - and humans have a very long gut. Another clue to our herbivorous past is our (now redundant) appendix. We have adapted to being omniverous but our digestive system is still that of a herbivore. Conversely, the giant panda was once a carnivore and has a very short gut. The bamboo on which it lives goes straight through it's digestive tract and it has to eat massive amounts of it to obtain enough nourishment. I suspect one reason humans adapted to eat meat was biological economy - you need comparatively little of it to obtain sufficient protein.

Message 116 of 131
Latest reply

@kennedia_nigricans wrote:

Dear Icyfroth,

I appreciate your kudos but must inform you that you are on the wrong side of the argument.

It's nice you appreciate the kudo's. I  dont' give them as a personal compliment but simply as a token that I agree with a given comment.

No need to flatter yourself.

Humans are not herbivores

neither are they carnivores

and neanderthaler interbred with humans so that bits of their (male only) DNA can still be found in modern humans.

Can you post some links to show how you come to this opinion please.

Message 117 of 131
Latest reply

kennedia_nigricans wrote:

Dear Icyfroth,

I appreciate your kudos but must inform you that you are on the wrong side of the argument.

It's nice you appreciate the kudo's. I  dont' give them as a personal compliment but simply as a token that I agree with a given comment.

Originally I wanted to say that I am embarrassed that you gave me kudos (wouldn't mind if it had been spot or so to give me kudos) but then I thought it might sound like an interpersonal dispute so I posted the nice thing.

I never claimed that.

and neanderthaler interbred with humans so that bits of their (male only) DNA can still be found in modern humans.

Well, you see it's not an opinion, it's a fact which is not something that changes just because some people  don't believe it (just like water at 20 degrees celsius is wet no matter how much one might claim that it is in fact dry).

Message 118 of 131
Latest reply

This is my defence

Capture.PNG

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 119 of 131
Latest reply

Dear Icyfroth,

Originally I wanted to say that I am embarrassed that you gave me kudos (wouldn't mind if it had been spot or so to give me kudos) but then I thought it might sound like an interpersonal dispute so I posted the nice thing.

I never claimed that.

Well, you see it's not an opinion, it's a fact which is not something that changes just because some people  don't believe it (just like water at 20 degrees celsius is wet no matter how much one might claim that it is in fact dry).

Then why bother at all?

Message 120 of 131
Latest reply