Melting Swiss Glaciers Give Up Their Secrets

Melting glaciers in Swiss Alps could reveal hundreds of mummified corpses

Swiss police say hundreds of bodies of mountaineers who have gone missing in the Alps in the past century could emerge in coming years as global warming forces the country's glaciers to retreat.

Alpine authorities have registered a significant increase in the number of human remains discovered last month, with the body of a man missing for 30 years the most recent to be uncovered.

Rescue teams in Saas Valley in the Valais canton were called last Tuesday after two climbers retreating from an aborted ascent spotted a hand and two shoes protruding from the Hohlaub glacier.

Rescuers spent two hours freeing the body with icepicks and their bare hands before a helicopter flew the remains to Bern. Forensics experts matched the DNA to that of a German citizen, born in 1943, who had gone missing on a hike in 11 August 1987.

The discovery comes less than a week after the bodies of a Swiss couple, missing for 75 years, were found in the Tsanfleuron glacier in the same canton. Marcelin and Francine Dumoulin had disappeared after going out to milk their cows in a meadow above Chandolin on 15 August 1942.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/melting-glaciers-in-swiss-alps-could-reveal-hundreds-of-mummifie...

Anybody still not believing Global Warming?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Melting Swiss Glaciers Give Up Their Secrets

it twas aliens what tooked em

it twas aliens who brung em back n hud em in dat ice!

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I can understand climbers, soldiers fighting in the alps etc might die there and be found in ice later, but I find it very strange that 2 people who simply went out into the meadow to milk cows disappeared and were found there. That sounds like foul play to me.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Yeah, every knuckle-dragging right-winger...........It's "fake" news, and they'll keep that mantra up until the rising oceans fill their mouths.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I can understand climbers, soldiers fighting in the alps etc might die there and be found in ice later, but I find it very strange that 2 people who simply went out into the meadow to milk cows disappeared and were found there. That sounds like foul play to me.

springyzone, obviously you have never lived in the Alps during a snowstorm.

75 years ago a war was raging in Europe and rescue facilities were mediocre compared what rescue is today.

During a snowstorm crevices get covered and a person practically walks blind. I have trudged home from School during snowstorms. Thank goodness I did not have to cross any crevices.

Erica

BTW; Eastern Europe is cooking with over 40 degree celsius.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Yeah, every knuckle-dragging right-winger...........It's "fake" news, and they'll keep that mantra up until the rising oceans fill their mouths.

No need for name-calling thx bandcamp.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

From the OP's link -

Marcelin and Francine Dumoulin had disappeared after going out to milk their cows in a meadow above Chandolin on 15 August 1942.

Can't imagine there were any blizzards in France in August of any year.

When I first read of this couple being found, the children were left at home,

and they said it was unusual for the mother to go with the father to milk.

It seems they were the victims of an accident - falling into a crevasse

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/bodies-found-75-years-after-couple-goes-missi...

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

No need for name-calling thx bandcamp.

Name calling is common amongst "left wingers" who find it easier to iissue insults and threats rather than factual arguments.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

As Donald Trump has so aptly demonstrated........

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I don't care for Mr Trump any more than I care for others who employ this tactic.

The fact is, when one resorts to insults one has already lost the argument.

My observation is that left wingers constantly employ this arrogant and futile tactic and are subsequently not worth debating with on any subject.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply