Mental Health Week

Mental Health Week commences today with World Mental Health Day on October 10th. To those of us with mental illness and those who have loved ones with mental illness, this is a week that  will,hopefully,  continue to break through  stigma and raise awareness, as well as supporting our wellbeing. The message this year is "Mental Health begins with me." Stay safe and be aware that there could be triggers throughout the week.

http://www.mentalhealthcommission.gov.au/media-centre/events/mental-health-week.aspx

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 94
Latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Mental Health Week

@*julia*2010 wrote:

@bright.ton42 wrote:

Jessica no offense but I don't think Mental Illness is something to make light of in this case.  I could be wrong but I thought you implied somewhere that you have had such issues yourself,  so surely you should know better.   And your Tips to Stress less has nothing whatsoever to do with mental illness.  There are people on these boards and all around us who are wondering if they will make it to the next day.   No laughing matter.

look at the bottom of that poster.

it has the name of the website it came from.

it is very helpful.

stress can have a huge impact on mental

health.

Yes it's all been dealt with.  See my response above.

I still think a lot of what 's on that poster is trite.

And I have been through  a lot with mental illness in my family.  I'm no stranger to it by far . 

I have lost two close ones because of it. 

Those who struggle with it day by day have my compassion. 

Message 21 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

Yes it's all been dealt with.  See my response above.

will do.

Message 22 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

I still think a lot of what 's on that poster is trite.

And I have been through  a lot with mental illness in my family.  I'm no stranger to it by far . 

stress can have a huge effect on mental

health.  it causes depression, anxiety and

many other anxiety related disorders.

if you look at the triggers - they usually

include stress.

it is very important to know how to manage

it.

Message 23 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

@bright.ton42 wrote:

@jessicadazzler wrote:

@bright.ton42 wrote:

Jessica no offense but I don't think Mental Illness is something to make light of in this case.  I could be wrong but I thought you implied somewhere that you have had such issues yourself,  so surely you should know better.   And your Tips to Stress less has nothing whatsoever to do with mental illness.  There are people on these boards and all around us who are wondering if they will make it to the next day.   No laughing matter.

You can actually download the poster on the Mental Health website, it's a resource they use at this time of year.

OK I missed that, my apologies then Jessica. 

That's alright.

I read on another one of your posts that you have lost loved ones to mental illness. I'm very sorry to hear that, I know this time of year (when mental health awareness is going on) must be hard.

Message 24 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

@jessicadazzler wrote:

@bright.ton42 wrote:

@jessicadazzler wrote:

@bright.ton42 wrote:

You can actually download the poster on the Mental Health website, it's a resource they use at this time of year.

OK I missed that, my apologies then Jessica. 

That's alright.

I read on another one of your posts that you have lost loved ones to mental illness. I'm very sorry to hear that, I know this time of year (when mental health awareness is going on) must be hard.

Jess,

With all due respect losing someone is hard - all the time.

Message 25 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

Oh, I don't doubt it. I'm so sorry if it came across like that, that wasn't what I intended 😞

I simply meant that at this time of year, when people seem to pay particular attention to mental health, it must be that little bit harder.
Message 26 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

@jessicadazzler wrote:
Oh, I don't doubt it. I'm so sorry if it came across like that, that wasn't what I intended 😞

I simply meant that at this time of year, when people seem to pay particular attention to mental health, it must be that little bit harder.

Know what you mean Jess.

But no day is easier than the rest.

Message 27 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

To me the poster that Jess put up, grates with me.  It is "Too bright, too young, too schmalzy".  

It may appeal to the "young" who are experiencing or acknowledging their mental health issues. Excellent.  

In my opinion, the bedroom is not the place for those "go get 'em, deal with 'em" ideas on a poster.  The bedroom should be the place of rest - as mentioned in the poster.

Take care everybody.Heart

DEB

Message 28 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

@lloydslights wrote:

To me the poster that Jess put up, grates with me.  It is "Too bright, too young, too schmalzy".  

It may appeal to the "young" who are experiencing or acknowledging their mental health issues. Excellent.  

In my opinion, the bedroom is not the place for those "go get 'em, deal with 'em" ideas on a poster.  The bedroom should be the place of rest - as mentioned in the poster.

Take care everybody.Heart

DEB

And the need for constant reminders - oh sheesh.

Message 29 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

When you loose someone you love

The hardest times are the special times

The hardest is the anniversary of their death

After a few years this  fades and their birthday

Takes over

Then christmas , easter, mothers day, fathers day

And as much as you try to move on there's an

Alarm clock inside your head that goes off prior

To these.events