Mental Health Week

Mental Health Week commences today with World Mental Health Day on October 10th. To those of us with mental illness and those who have loved ones with mental illness, this is a week that  will,hopefully,  continue to break through  stigma and raise awareness, as well as supporting our wellbeing. The message this year is "Mental Health begins with me." Stay safe and be aware that there could be triggers throughout the week.

http://www.mentalhealthcommission.gov.au/media-centre/events/mental-health-week.aspx

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 94
Latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Mental Health Week

To me the poster that Jess put up, grates with me.  It is "Too bright, too young, too schmalzy".  

it came from here -  

http://www.mentalhealth.asn.au/our-resources/stress-less-art-and-resources

for anyone who may be interested

in printing one out.

its the 2011 poster, i think they are

all great Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

@*julia*2010 wrote:

I still think a lot of what 's on that poster is trite.

And I have been through  a lot with mental illness in my family.  I'm no stranger to it by far . 

stress can have a huge effect on mental

health.  it causes depression, anxiety and

many other anxiety related disorders.

if you look at the triggers - they usually

include stress.

it is very important to know how to manage

it.

If you're talking to me I think on reading my post you will see I said ....I am no stranger to it by far.

So I don't need enlightening thanks.

If it's just a general observation go for it. 

Message 32 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

i was actually specifically replying

to your comment about the content of 

the mental health poster.  stress is very 

often the underlying cause of mental 

disorders so the message  in that poster

is important. 

Message 33 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

So you go on like a dog chewing its tail.  Is that all you got from my post?  

Yes we've got your message...  3 times.

Message 34 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

Is that all you got from my post?  

no.  i only commented on the part i disagreed

with.  you get that on a discussion forum....

nothing personal.

Message 35 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

Meanwhile, if a motivational quote helps a person get through their day, then so be it. If it gives one person a glimpse of hope or put things back into perspective when that has been lost, then, it is a good thing. Please do not minimise or trivialise mental illness. There is no easy fix - if there was, we'd have done it and all be "cured"

If you have never been in deep depression, then you really have no idea. If you have never experienced full blown mania, then you have no idea. if you have never experienced psychosis, then you have no idea, same with the other many symptoms, unless you have experienced it, then you have no idea. Unless, of course, you have cared for someone who has, then you do have a very good idea.

If you have questions, then ask, being open is the best way to cut through the stigma and misconceptions but please don't belittle anyone for what helps them to keep breathing..

Even though symptoms are shared under the umbrella of mental illnesss, we all experience them differently and we all have our own story.

Message 36 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

csm_2015_Mental_Health_A2_Poster_260815-page-001_3f5755b68a.jpg

Message 37 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

@jessicadazzler wrote:

@ecar3483 wrote:

I feel like my "Story" is so ordinary. I'm not about to be interviewed by the ABC for some Sunday night special.

I am, as the character Hannibal Lecter put it, a boring, run of the mill manic depressive.

I was terribly unhappy for a long time, interspersed with bursts of inexplicable and on the whole unfocused enthusiasm for projects and undertakings that had a very short lifespan, determined as much by my mood as anything.

As I said, run of the mill.

I'm never going to be a poster boy for mental health. In my more cynical/sarcastic moments I like to say that the best I'll ever do is serve as a cautionary tale.

Smiley LOL

Look at the bright side... being manic depressive is more fun than being ordinarily depressed Smiley Very Happy

Yeah it is real fun to be manic depressive....such fun that you think you are Jesus Christ, burn your car and end up curled on the footpath in the fetal position.

My daughters fiancé has bi-polar and believe me it is no laughing matter. He also spent 9 mths in hospital after that severe episode and received electro-shock therapy.

He has not had an episode in almost three years, he knows his triggers very well and seeks professional help as soon as he starts to feel overly happy or depressed.

I showed him your postcard and I will not repeat what he said...he has been ill for 26 years now and has no time for trite catchphrases....and that is the polite version.

So maybe think before you type in future.

Message 38 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

Thank you, but I have already been put down by a few other people. Thanks so much for your input too 😛

It's all very well saying that people like your daughters fiancé are able to seek professional help, but there are countless people who have had 'professional help' for months or years on end and they are feeling no better. Doctors, counsellors, psychiatrists and psychologists can't do much for them.

So perhaps it is also worthwhile acknowledging that what works for some people doesn't work for others.
Message 39 of 94
Latest reply

Mental Health Week

you have that insight yet you still feel your 'joke; was appropriate.

mmmk. Smiley Indifferent

Message 40 of 94
Latest reply