Midweek Pondering: Why is not wanting to date a particular race not considered racist.............

But not wanting to have a particular race as friends is?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Midweek Pondering: Why is not wanting to date a particular race not considered racist.............

I haven't got any Arab friends bob,but I'd like some:) Breathtaking and a.message with the last image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teZjzLvHrfI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

I didn't know that it was considered racist & i don't think it should be.I like who i like & take individuals as they are.I will not feel pressured to be friends with someone just because of public opinion or the race card.

I'm only answering because in my very short experience on the C.S board,i like that you ask interesting/odd questions.Probably not a good time to ask this one,the boards are very angry my friend & this question is fraught with danger.Someone probably rip me a new one with what little I've said.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Hey, sookie,  I'm selling a bridge.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Where's your listing & I'll bid on it? Thanks for the sarcasm however,Whatever.Why don't you add something constructive to the post about racism?

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Having a different race as a friend has very little impact on either people in terms of friendship.Your values don't need to go beyond choosing a cafe or a movie.

But once you form a union, get married, have kids, it is a different story. If you have a strong culture and if you are religious your values can sometimes be completely alien to each other.

I'm Italian married to an Aussie. Not much of a race difference there and neither of us are religious. But still, if we ever argue it will be over values related to culture. And it s always the simple, dumb things like trying to make him understand that not leaving a wedding party until the bride has left or the brides family will cause offence that will ripple through my family for decades.

And even though I am not religious, religion has caused some issues for me in the past. I may be atheist (as is hubby) but my parents are strong Catholics. So decided to get the kids baptised caused us a lot of angst.  In the end, we baptised both to appease my family. But luckily neither of us had strong opposing religions or it would have caused huge rifts.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Having a different race as a friend has very little impact on either people in terms of friendship.Your values don't need to go beyond choosing a cafe or a movie.

But once you form a union, get married, have kids, it is a different story. If you have a strong culture and if you are religious your values can sometimes be completely alien to each other.

I'm Italian married to an Aussie. Not much of a race difference there and neither of us are religious. But still, if we ever argue it will be over values related to culture. And it s always the simple, dumb things like trying to make him understand that not leaving a wedding party until the bride has left or the brides family will cause offence that will ripple through my family for decades.

And even though I am not religious, religion has caused some issues for me in the past. I may be atheist (as is hubby) but my parents are strong Catholics. So decided to get the kids baptised caused us a lot of angst.  In the end, we baptised both to appease my family. But luckily neither of us had strong opposing religions or it would have caused huge rifts.

You do realise you can have people of different race living in the same culture and same religion et c etc. 

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

It's a while since I was in the dating gameSmiley Happy  And the proliferation of nationalities was not available in those days either.  

More recently in life, I became friends with a lot of races due to the area in which I worked and lived.  Very multicultural.  

I never thought of the word racist whilst I was talking with them.  My only thought was how strong in willpower they were to live in a foreign country and leaving loved ones behind and having to learn the English language.  I felt that by talking with them, they were increasing their verbal skills and I was learning about their homeland culture.

Because some other Aussies saw me associating with the "foreigners", those Aussies became more tolerant and some joined in with the conversation.

I have worked for Chinese, and  Indian employers.  I have had Maltese, Italian and South African neighbours.  I have had amongst others, Irish, English and Kiwi employees

Yes, they have been friendships only.  But the world is becoming more cosmopolitan.  No month-long trek over the hill to the other valley.  And as integration becomes the norm, hopefully racism may eventually die out.

I have 2 relatives who married other "races" producing the most amazingly featured children.  (See: Spots "eyes")

We are all Man.

DEB 

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

matthew_mark_luke_and_bob wrote:

i-need-a-martini wrote:

You do realise you can have people of different race living in the same culture and same religion et c etc. 

My parents are of the same race and religion.  And there was a minor conflict, I believe, when baptism was discussed.
Due to very different teachings  within the same religious order, one parent was a true believer, the other a vehement disbeliever.

DEB

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

don't think anyone answered the question. 

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply