Multiculturism

sssaau4
Community Member

What is it?

Say I come here and i am asian.

I can speak my language at home to my family, I can cook the food i like at home (or anywhere) I can do my rituals to my gods, no one will care.

So what is that multiculturalism all about?

it seems like empth words to me.

i don't understand.

i come from a different culture, english is my 2nd language.

i cook my countries food at home and hubby puts up with it or i cook him something else if it's too much of an aquired taste.

i speak english (foreign) to other people in the shops because no-one would understand a word if i spoke in my native tongue.

so what exactly is multiculturalism?

is it some ideal where i could talk in my native tongue here and expevt other people to understand me?

is it the freedom to cook my "foreign" meals as i please?

can someone please enlighten me what it actually means?

Message 1 of 136
Latest reply
135 REPLIES 135

Re: Multiculturism

Multiculturism is a failure in Australia. It hasn't worked and wont ever work.

Message 2 of 136
Latest reply

Not sure what it is exactly. However I love all the different foods. Sure beats meat and three over cooked veggies everyday.
Message 3 of 136
Latest reply

It might be more interesting to hear your definition of what you perceive it to be ๐Ÿ™‚

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 4 of 136
Latest reply

Cultural and ethnic diversity.

Message 5 of 136
Latest reply

I think" Multiculturism" in Australia started with the first fleet
Message 6 of 136
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

Multiculturalism spreads and starts with the initial immigrants.  

Mother and father may find it hard to completely integrate but they still manage to share a lot with new friends and new traditions and cooking.

Their children will share the best of both worlds and hopefully they will share the old and new with their children in the future and they can share it with their friends too. Happy world it would be if there weren't so many bigots around.

Joono
Message 7 of 136
Latest reply

Multiculturism in title. Multiculturalism in the opening post (that is correct).

Message 8 of 136
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Cultural and ethnic diversity.

what does it asctually mean?

I come from a different culture.  your culture is often very alien and weird to me.

as i said  i cook my country food at home and i buy things from ebay from home because rhey are better quality.

apart from that i like to go to pubs and eat burgers or schnitzel and unles i open my mouth no-one would guess that i am foreign.

so can you give me an example?

does "multiculturalism" just mean that i am allowed to cook my own food at home or what?

does it mean that i have the right to talk to Australians in my native tongue and expect an elaborate answer? (unlikely, i know, sorry i am just exploring every possibiliy)

Message 9 of 136
Latest reply

What is it?

the opposite of argentina

Signatures suck.
Message 10 of 136
Latest reply