NBN ANYONE?

I don't care who fixes the problems the NBN is having - but I do wish they would get of their collective backsides and do something.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-23/what-happened-to-superfast-nbn/11037620

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

NBN ANYONE?

I,ll simplify the post to two setences for you.

If the idea really was to provide Australia with a modern technology platform, setting us up for the future, the plan to run cables to every home in the country was the wrong way to do it. The money should have been spent on satelite technology.

Spoiler
Of course, if the plan was really about cynical pork barreling on a scale never seen before in this country, the idea of having a new, you buet, super cable to every persons telly and computer is a lot more sexy than some metalic invisible bird in the sky.

Spoiler
The really sad part is, there are enough voters dumb enough to fall for the whole thing that politicians are justified in treating us like the stupid mushrooms we obviously are.
Message 21 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@chameleon54 wrote:

The whole idea was simply dreamt up as a vote buying excercise. Labor voters loved it and so the Liberals had to come up with a "me too plan' or risk losing an election to voters who,s main interest was playing computer games or watching movies on their big screen tellies from Mr. Harvey. 

The whole thing has just been plain dumb from start to finish.

Labors original idea was looking at a concept for the long term future as does the rest of the world, unfortunately the Liberal idea of the future is the next election

Message 22 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@tezza2844 wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

The whole idea was simply dreamt up as a vote buying excercise. Labor voters loved it and so the Liberals had to come up with a "me too plan' or risk losing an election to voters who,s main interest was playing computer games or watching movies on their big screen tellies from Mr. Harvey. 

The whole thing has just been plain dumb from start to finish.

Labors original idea was looking at a concept for the long term future as does the rest of the world, unfortunately the Liberal idea of the future is the next election

In fairness, you are probably right about this part of your statement. Not all politicians are by nature bad people ( even Labor ones ....Smiley Very Happy   )  Many people go into politics out of a genuine desire to serve their communities and try to make long term changes for the better. 

Unfortunately once they get entrenched in the party system a lot of that goes out the window and the ruthless, cynical, political games set in.  Virtually all politicians, regardless of colour begin to only concentrate on the next election cycle and getting re-elected.

Thats why we got an NBN that was based on running cables to everyones television and computer instead of the much better but much less sexy satelite technology. The voters can see the trucks rolling down the street and get the knock on the door from the NBN technician asking where you want your connection box put. Its tangible and in your face.

A satelite is invisible, unseen, unheard and unknown...................... It might be vastly superior ( and cheaper ) in the long run, but theres no votes in it.

Message 23 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

and when do you suppose satelite technology will ever deliver better than fibre optic cable at a price afordable to us ordinary people?

i bet if you had a choice of satelite NBN or staying with your old ADSL (i'm presuming you had adsl) knowing satelite would cost you double or tripple and you would get frequent drop outs and a measly 50 or 80 GB of download before getting switched to speeds similar to dial-up.

you'd be saying screw NBN i'll stay with my old ADSL. (which of course you wouldnt get the choice)

but here you are telling us how wonderful your Fibre to the HOME NBN is, the way labor planned it for all of us, thats a bit rich.

if anyone deserved the NBN fibre to a node several kilometres from their house its YOU!

Message 24 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

If the government had spent $90,000,000,000 on satelite technology instead of running trucks with teams of blokes leaning on shovels, putting cables underground right across the country, your NBN satelite speeds, price  and reliability would be a heck of a lot better than the overstreched, overused, under -resourced satelite system we have now. Surely even you can see that David. Sheesh..

Message 25 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@davidc4430 wrote:

and when do you suppose satelite technology will ever deliver better than fibre optic cable at a price afordable to us ordinary people?

i bet if you had a choice of satelite NBN or staying with your old ADSL (i'm presuming you had adsl) knowing satelite would cost you double or tripple and you would get frequent drop outs and a measly 50 or 80 GB of download before getting switched to speeds similar to dial-up.

you'd be saying screw NBN i'll stay with my old ADSL. (which of course you wouldnt get the choice)

but here you are telling us how wonderful your Fibre to the HOME NBN is, the way labor planned it for all of us, thats a bit rich.

if anyone deserved the NBN fibre to a node several kilometres from their house its YOU!

Well said David ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 26 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@chameleon54 wrote:

If the government had spent $90,000,000,000 on satelite technology instead of running trucks with teams of blokes leaning on shovels, putting cables underground right across the country, your NBN satelite speeds, price  and reliability would be a heck of a lot better than the overstreched, overused, under -resourced satelite system we have now. Surely even you can see that David. Sheesh..

Perhaps if you were a little less condescending, stopped talking down to people and implying they aren't as bright as you, you "may" be taken a little more seriously  ......  

Message 27 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@chameleon54 wrote:

do you really think our govt spending 90 billion dollars on satelite technology would deliver us a reliable internet via satelite service?

do you not watch tv or listen to radio or use a mobile phone?

all services now delivered accross our nation via the 'airways'

and so damnd unreliable, tv pixulates and drops out often, radio comes and goes, phone calls just drop out regularly!

billions have been poured into all these areas world wide, and still they cant fight mother nature, atmospheric disruptions, which cause signal loss.

i'd love to say satelites are the future, but, i cant.

a solid wire (or fibre cable) is the best option, no break from point A to point B.

if satelites were the future counties much more tech savy than ours would be pouring billions into it, but they are not because they know its not going to ever solve that problem of 'signal loss'

Message 28 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

Perhaps if you were a little less condescending, stopped talking down to people and implying they aren't as bright as you, you "may" be taken a little more seriously  ......  

And maybe I was simply responding to the last line of Davids previous post

ie - " If anyone deserved the NBN fibre to a node several km from their home its YOU "........

Childish comments such  as this not only drag the discussion down, they show a lack of intelligence and respect to debate the issues rather simply attacking the person who is raising genuine concerns about the way a good idea ie universal broadand has been trashed by blatent politicising and pork barreling by all involved.

Having said that at least David had the decency to return with a more thoughtful and constructive response at a later time.

Message 29 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@davidc4430 wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

do you really think our govt spending 90 billion dollars on satelite technology would deliver us a reliable internet via satelite service?

Yes !

do you not watch tv or listen to radio or use a mobile phone?

all services now delivered accross our nation via the 'airways'

Mobile phones are principally delivered by a network of towers

and so damnd unreliable, tv pixulates and drops out often, radio comes and goes, phone calls just drop out regularly!

Free to air TV pixilates and drops out regularly, but again it is underfunded and overloaded BECAUSE it is free to air. No one has invested properly in it.

billions have been poured into all these areas world wide, and still they cant fight mother nature, atmospheric disruptions, which cause signal loss.

True, billions have been poured into it. But not the $90,000,000,000 that has been spent running cables around the country. . I doubt very much that the U.S military satelite misile guidance systems or communication systems regularly drop out. You get what you pay for !!!

i'd love to say satelites are the future, but, i cant.

a solid wire (or fibre cable) is the best option, no break from point A to point B.

A solid wire from point A to point B will never be the future simply because it ignores the MOST IMPORTANT POINT .......The vast majority of people have ALREADY shown they DONT WANT to recieve their information technology from a socket in the wall and attached to a cable. They expect to recieve information technology where they are, whenever they want from mobile devices. THAT IS THE FUTURE !!! Cable will never be able to deliver this, so is obsolete before it is even laid.

if satelites were the future counties much more tech savy than ours would be pouring billions into it, but they are not because they know its not going to ever solve that problem of 'signal loss'

Very few " Other Countries " that have advanced universal broadband delivery have to contend with the vast distances and sparse population that Australia has. Many European countries have a larger population than Australia, crammed into countries the size of one of our states. In this situation it is at least ecenomically feasable to run cables everywhere. BUT Australia is simply not like that. What works in compact countries in Europe isnt necessarily going to work here.

Australians rightly or wrongly pride themselves with being inovative and world leaders in some areas of future technology ( think global warming and green energy ). The NBN would have been a great opportunity to show some foresight, vision and leadership and develop a non cable based NBN. 

Message 30 of 50
Latest reply