NBN ANYONE?

I don't care who fixes the problems the NBN is having - but I do wish they would get of their collective backsides and do something.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-23/what-happened-to-superfast-nbn/11037620

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

NBN ANYONE?

Yep, they sure do   .... Ours is hopeless here, as we are no where near the node plus every time they do an upgrade we lose our home ph service 'n I dont own a mobile ph, so have top hope no emergency takes place during that time. Yeah, I could go 'n buy a moby ( more expense ), but why should I need to do this, when I didnt want the NBN in the first place.

Message 41 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

they have layed the fibre cables to every neighbourhood, so now they need to start putting fibre cables as far as the curbside.

then let the home owner choose to pay to have fibre put from the curb into the house.

id see a NBN tech comming to your home and looking at the situation as to where the cable needs to run.

and then the home owner can decide weather they pay someone to come dig up their property, or do the digging themselves.

then get a company come lay the cables ect.

or hire 1 company to do the lot.

or stay with the copper for the run into the house.

Message 42 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Sorry haven't read the thread.

Anyone know if you have cable, do you need to switch to NBN ?

yes we do Kopes... but we have a bit of time on our side to sort it out.. for my suburb I think it's May 2020

Message 43 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@icyfroth wrote:

@debra9275 wrote:

chameleon so you're saying that you like your NBN service because it's fast.. but that most peolole don't need it to be fast??

I don't think anyone wants to be upgraded to a slower service than they had previously.. maybe that's why so many complain about it

omg...lol.

what's up Icy?? 

didn't understand my post??

Message 44 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

Just found out.

Telstra says cable customers have no need to reconnect to NBN but they will be supplying a new modem to be compatible to the new tech. I am guessing cable just shifts over to the NBN fibre optics without changing lines at the house from a node.

Apparently cable is virtually as good as the new NBN lines therefore no need to change that part.

image host
Message 45 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

We have cable, Kopes.

No-one mentioned that info to us.

We're changing shortly.  Not looking forward to it, as we have extra fast downloads already.

And people said it was supposed to be extra cheap too?

Our plan for the same service,  is a whole 5c month cheaper!!!

Message 46 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

Good you were able to get that info Kopes, sounds a bit easier   

My plan costs me the same as before BUT I now don't have to pay for calls to mobiles, so that saves me a heap of $$$. 

Message 47 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Just found out.

Telstra says cable customers have no need to reconnect to NBN but they will be supplying a new modem to be compatible to the new tech. I am guessing cable just shifts over to the NBN fibre optics without changing lines at the house from a node.

Apparently cable is virtually as good as the new NBN lines therefore no need to change that part.

that sounds good Kopes.. the cable we have for foxtel and broadband is called HFC (hybrid fibre coaxial) and it sounds like they can use that for NBN with some sort of a splitter box I wonder what happens to your land-line phone though

the whole thing is totally confusing.. at our place we have a Telstra pit out in the street , but we also have another Telstra pit on our property where the HFC runs down the side of the house. this house was once owned by the council and they had a big switchboard here when we bought it 

I've tried googling HFC conversion to NBN but the info is just totally confusing

nbnโ„ข Hybrid Fibre Coaxial explained

All types of nbnโ„ข broadband access network connections that utilise a physical line running to the premises are considered Fixed Line connections.

An nbnโ„ข Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) connection is used in circumstances where the existing โ€˜pay TVโ€™ or cable network can be used to make the final part of the nbnโ„ข access network connection. In this circumstance an HFC line will be run from the nearest available fibre node, to your premises.

HFC connections require an nbnโ„ข access network device to be installed at the point where the line enters your home. This device requires power to operate, and can be installed by an approved nbnโ„ข installer or service provider. 

Message 48 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

when you switch to NBN you get a new modem, your landline phone plugs into that.

i presume the cable people will also get a new modem device where the phone will connect.

mine works fine, cept i had to move my phone base station into the bedroom next to the computer/modem and put the remote phone out in the kitchen.

Message 49 of 50
Latest reply

NBN ANYONE?

ah  OK thanks David

Message 50 of 50
Latest reply