NOW ABBOTT MUST THINK WE’RE ALL DRONES

Just heard on the news that Abbott has announced, with the liberal opposition leader by his side, that the new fleet Triton Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (common referred to as Drones) are to be based at RAAF Edinburgh. Supposedly it will bring a $100 million benefit to the state.

Now let’s see.  These aircraft carry out only one function during peacetime, surveillance, and one of the reasons they were purchased was to keep lookout for refugee boat.

But hang on Edinburgh is in Adelaide, but the boats are North West of Darwin, half a content away.  So it’s a 6000 km round trip before they get to do any surveillance.

So logic dictates that they should have been based somewhere up north, with Tindal coming to mind.  So why base them in Adelaide.

Next Saturday is Election Day.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: NOW ABBOTT MUST THINK WE’RE ALL DRONES

I thought the boats had stopped anyway? Seems a bit extravagant Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket
Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

Well there's one less drone in this area..... and....one more piece of flotsam in the pacific

http://www.nambuccaguardian.com.au/story/2145446/images-from-moving-tribute-feared-lost-at-sea/?cs=7...

A DRONE and camera containing irreplaceable footage of a memorial service for a local resident has gone missing - and it’s hoped that beachgoers or surfers might find it.

On Saturday, March 1, family and friends gathered to honour the life of  Henry Ryffel (of Gove and Eungai) by participating in a ‘paddle out’ off Grassy Head beach.

Family friend and photographer, Margot Taylor, was capturing the event using her DJI Phantome Drone with a Go Pro Hero 3 Black and water housing.

Unfortunately, due to rain and a quick battery change, the GPS signal went out and it was last seen heading out over the ocean.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

its only a pause. waiting for the navy to be needed elsewhere, or for the patrol boat fleet to thin out a little more. apparently one class of patrol boat is having problems with wear and tear. they have 10 i think.

it is monsoon season, but i', not sure its a factor to the extent it was .. climate change has effected the timing and duration etc.

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/tony-abbott-defends-decision-to-not-invite-jay-weath...

So abbott makes the drone announcement, in SA, invites the leader of the opposition, conveniently ignores the Premier.

I reckon that sums him up pretty well, a vindictive, petty, win-at-all-costs lightweight. 

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

silverfaun
Community Member

A good idea that will save the taxpayer millions of dollars in the long run and much more accurate than the over the horizon radar we have now and all the patrol boats churning up millions of gallons of fuel.

What I don't understand is that all the $millions Labor wasted, ending in no result, why would all on here cheer and deride any attempt to secure our borders against people smugglers and deny the fact that PM Abbott's strategy has stopped the unfettered flow of illegal people smugglers.

Yes folks, stopped the people smugglers! what's that all about? it's hard to understand the derision.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

lifeboat1.jpg$46000

Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

lifeboat2.jpg2 x$4600 = $92000

Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

lifebaot3.jpg

3 x $46000 = $138000

10 x 46000 = $460 000

100 x $46000 = $4 600 000

I wonder how much Indonesia will eventually charge us for the clean up bill.... who owns those boats ???

Scott would already know....... more later than sooner the rest of us will foot the bill...then there's the diesel, the wages..... oh and the badwill .... cost... immeasurable???? or priceless ???

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

oooh a doubler

The government is believed to have bought 16 of the Chinese made high-visibility lifeboats for about $46,000 each last month.

Gee that's a big boat in front

lifeboatdoubler.jpg

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

@colic2bullsgirlore wrote:

lifeboat1.jpg$46000

$46000??

I think they were purchased for a lot more than that considering what they're equipped with. The "unsinkable" orange lifeboats can carry up to 90 passengers and are air-conditioned, fitted with safety and navigational equipment and stocked with food and water.

The idea is that any attempts to sabotage these lifeboats would most likely fail.

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply