NOW ABBOTT MUST THINK WE’RE ALL DRONES

Just heard on the news that Abbott has announced, with the liberal opposition leader by his side, that the new fleet Triton Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (common referred to as Drones) are to be based at RAAF Edinburgh. Supposedly it will bring a $100 million benefit to the state.

Now let’s see.  These aircraft carry out only one function during peacetime, surveillance, and one of the reasons they were purchased was to keep lookout for refugee boat.

But hang on Edinburgh is in Adelaide, but the boats are North West of Darwin, half a content away.  So it’s a 6000 km round trip before they get to do any surveillance.

So logic dictates that they should have been based somewhere up north, with Tindal coming to mind.  So why base them in Adelaide.

Next Saturday is Election Day.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: NOW ABBOTT MUST THINK WE’RE ALL DRONES

some will end up doing a two way trip. i wonder how long before one is found back here.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

@lakeland27 wrote:

some will end up doing a two way trip. i wonder how long before one is found back here.

How? Serious question, I don't know much about them at all.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

@**meep** wrote:

@lakeland27 wrote:

paint it dark blue, fuel and supplies.. and push it back into the sea.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

@lakeland27 wrote:

@**meep** wrote:

@lakeland27 wrote:

paint it dark blue, fuel and supplies.. and push it back into the sea.

you don't think that would have been taken into consideration?

i read somewhere the lifeboats had tamper proof engines and could not be refuelled without special equipment.  i have no idea what that special equipment could be....am curious though..

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

nothing mechanical is tamper proof.  i could do it, i'm certain a third world innovator could.

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

silverfaun
Community Member

I believe the boats are taken by the Indonesian authorities and returned to the  Australian navy.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

How would you know that when Scott says....????

https://www.google.com.au/#q=operational+matters+scott+morrison

SCOTT MORRISON:

Well, Leigh, as you know, we don't comment one way or the other on reports of things of that nature that go to

maritime operations

The only reports I have read tell of the locals stripping the boats, the motors and anything else salable then leaving them where they found

them on the shoreline, that they do become a bit of a tourist attraction and a source of novelty for the local kids.......

I do know this and it is/was widely reported

Abbott had left SBY no alternative.

"He ordered co-operation with Australia halted across a wide range of

activities including Operation Sovereign Borders.

That is where it remains today."

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

As ex –military I understand the cost benefits that drones provide, particularly when it comes to surface targets and surveillance.

My point was this, the operational area is off the north coast of Australia, but the drones are the located over 3000 km away in Adelaide.  This means a 6000km round trip to get to the area of operation and return to base.  Now do the math on the amount of extra fuel expended and maintenance costs incurred as district to having the aircraft bases somewhere closer to the operational area, such as say Tindal.

That is there is no rational reason for these aircraft to be based in Adelaide excepting one - the state election.  This means we have a PM who on the one hand preaches austerity, but then, when it suits his political agenda, is prepared to splash money around like a drunken sailor in a bordello.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply