New free-to-air 24-hour movie channel is coming to Australia

imastawka
Honored Contributor

A new free-to-air 24-hour movie channel is coming to Australia and will feature more than 700 different films a year. 

SBS announced on Monday it will be launching the channel dedicated to international cinema, which will include free to air and HD offerings, on July 1.

The 24-hour channel has been developed to build on the network's catalogue of films from around the globe - with an emphasis on diversity and multilingualism.

'We're excited to further evolve this offering and make it available to all Australians for free this July.'  

SBS World Movies will broadcast in HD on channel 32 alongside SBS’ existing channels, SBS, SBS VICELAND, SBS Food and NITV. 

More here -

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/tv/new-free-to-air-24-hour-movie-channel-is-coming-to-austra...

Gotta love a free movie channel.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I hope SBS nicked a few movies from Turner Classic and World Movies which are now defunct in Australia. Those channels provided some golden oldies and foreign films which I really enjoyed. I find a lot of foreign films provide a more human element to the stories, rather than the Hollywood ideals. There is a bit of a joke in my family where we ask each other how come the star in the movie didn't get shot by the 50 bullets, cut to pieces when he jumped through the glass window, or break his bones when he crashed through the huge door. Very obviously it's because he is an American LOL (no disrespect intended).

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

I dont really need another one, i cant keep up with all the movies on netflix

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I'll take all I can get - especially for free.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I dont watch enough TV to make it worth while

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Will it be as exciting as SBS Viceland was, last night, when they showed The Fifth Element four times in a row?

Talk about good value! Ha ha...

🙂

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Gotta love a free foreign movie channel.
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@ecar3483 wrote:

Will it be as exciting as SBS Viceland was, last night, when they showed The Fifth Element four times in a row?

Talk about good value! Ha ha...

🙂

Yeah, I noticed that on the tv guide last night.  I thought it must have been a typo?

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

700 different movies?

oh come on, there are only about 30 movies ever made arnt there? thats why the other stations just keep showing them over and over and over........

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Not into foreign films, especially the ones with sub titles

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply