Nuisance phone calls

I have been getting nuisance phone calls on my landline, day and middle of the night, and so I decided to get a new number.  I cannot for the life of me think who I have to tell?   I just do not remember if my power and gas supplier, or bank, or anybody else needs to be notified?  Help please.  🙂

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Nuisance phone calls

@*kazumi* wrote:

The thing is I did not have this problem until about week ago.  Now I keep getting several a day and there was one at 1.30am. 

Answering phone is not fun for me; I can hardly walk nowadays, and getting up to the phone in the middle of the night is downright dangerous for me.  When it rings I of-course immediately think that something happened to my daughter or granddaughter; there is no way i will let it ring, and think let them call in the morning.  And once it wakes me, I cannot go back to sleep for ages.

The guy at Optus told me to change the number, and that is what is happening.  Must remember to put the new number on "no call list".

buy a set of 3 phones with a base station, stick one next to your bed, one next to you tv chair and one (the base) in the kitchen.

that way your usually close to one.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Nuisance phone calls

We have a Telstra system (I imagine other providers do them too) that screens all calls and if the number calling  is not in the directory we have provided it asks for ID. If the callers identify themslves it then rings through to us and shows who is calling, so we have the option to answer or decline. Most nuisance callers hang up as soon as they are asked for ID and so don't get through to us at all..

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Nuisance phone calls

That sounds great. We are with telstra but don't have that. Ours does show the number or else 'private'.

I've had a couple of the telstra technical dept calls lately.

One 2 days ago, I asked the woman if her parents brought her up to lie & would they be proud of her. She hung up straight away.

Today's woman told me they were having to turn the internet off in 2 hours so i said no worries, go for it.

Silence, then she asked if I was the main user. Surely telstra would know whose account they were ringing? She said there was trouble on my line so I told her to go fix it, that's her job, not mine.Smiley Happy

I'm starting to try to plan my attack before the next call. I think next time I'll say I work at telstra tech dept.Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Nuisance phone calls

If I had accepted the "Government Solar Panel Rebate" every time I have been called about it, I would have enough money to buy the entire "Windows Technical Department".Smiley LOL

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Nuisance phone calls

I am assuming the calls are from telemarketers, or are scam calls, not kids mucking around. If I get a call from someone claiming to be e.g. from Telstra, I ask them to give me their number so I can ring them straight back, to confirm they really are from Telstra. I have got some funny replies, mainly stutters and lots of ums ahs and buts, however they seldom ring again.

I too have a silent number and I think it makes no difference. There's many ways they can access your phone number, especially through unscrupulous partners of companies you may do business with, particularly online.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Nuisance phone calls

Our system is called Call Guardian 301. It comes with 2 handsets and from memory we paid around $70 for it plus extra for an 3rd handset. 

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Nuisance phone calls

I have a caller ID with a screen and the calling number

is shown on the screen - as soon as the answering machine

picks up the scammers hang up - I have a list of numbers they

have used - ysterday the calling number was 12 numbers long

beginning with 019 the day before the calling number began with

0017 sadly they arn't very bright and haven't realised I won't

answer unless I know the number or the person calling responds to

the answering machine message.

Message 17 of 17