Old Chinwag Craft Board Block Swap 2007

Sometime in early 2007, the Craft Board quilters got together and organised a Block Swap. We had to design and prepare enough blocks to make a quilt for ourselves, provide the first block completed and send the package on to the other crafty people in the swap.
We each completed a block in everyone's set.
My quilt was for my grandsons' bedroom in my home. I set a theme of teddy bears and boy's toys.
Most of these quilts have been finished for some time....... but.... I could not make a decision on how to do mine until recently.
I learned so much in that year and can't thank everyone who was involved enough! My applique skills are much improved.
So, thank you ♥
Sewinggilly123
Nanarener
Nelson333Nelson
T Hugs
Billngrace
Patcher246
Tasfleur
I have also sewn the labels of the blockmakers onto the back of the quilt, behind the relevant blocks.
I made mine into a quillow, a quilt that folds into a pillow, so one of the blocks is on the back of the quilt and when folded into it, becomes a pillow.
My 3 yo grandaughter looked at it and said "Gran, that is brilliant" and that is a good recommendation, so I have to thank everyone who was involved.
Pics in post 1
Message 1 of 1,973
Latest reply
1,972 REPLIES 1,972

Re: Old Chinwag Craft Board Block Swap 2007

dancing*with*daggers
Community Member
rosie, that's gorgeous!!!

Now I am guessing that in order to quilt you need what....one of those green boards, a cutting wheel, ruler....what else (apart from the obvious) lol.

Hey if I did start would you girls help me?.....and keep me motivated.

yes some pics please karen.

I feel inspiration coming on!

I have to get the redecorating done on my house before daughter, SIL and bubby move in for 6 - 9 months, but while they are here would be good to be able to shut myself away and do something creative. Certainly can't renovate with a little one here.

BBL:-)
Message 261 of 1,973
Latest reply

Would love to help you, Dancing.

Yes - you need those things of course - and there are lots of us will help you along the way.

You can get some lovely oriental type prints in black and red too. Just make sure its 100% cotton.
Message 262 of 1,973
Latest reply

There is that Rosie with the good colour eye agai!!! That is so nice Rosie, I love it!
Dancing, my very first quilt was made with scissors and a pencil..... not recommended and I could not believe when I got my first $10 cutting mat from the cheap shop (still have it) and a ruler and cutting wheel. Great investment and I use them for everything, even....hemming!!!
Message 263 of 1,973
Latest reply

chuk_77
Community Member
hey guys, I want to start one (a family history one) Basically it will have picture of something that represents each member of my family. Done with a transfer.
How do I go after that. Hand sew (ahhhhh) machine? I've done a bit of googling and saw how to make the squares but how do you sew it all together?
Am I way ahead of my abilities?
Message 264 of 1,973
Latest reply

You can handsew or machine sew them together.
Message 265 of 1,973
Latest reply

chuk_77
Community Member
Is there a trick to making sure all the squares line up neatly?
Message 266 of 1,973
Latest reply

woops, sorry
That sounds lovely chuk! It will be special.
Try these
http://www.ideas-for-quilting.com/
and quilterscache
both good beginner sites (and experienced, lol)
Message 267 of 1,973
Latest reply

chuk_77
Community Member
thanks karen looking now:-x
Message 268 of 1,973
Latest reply

Is there a trick to making sure all the squares line up neatly?

:^O
Sorry, that is a struggle for me! Accurate cutting and accurate seams make it easier. Nothing is meant to be perfect. 🙂
Message 269 of 1,973
Latest reply

Everyone has different tips to help.
Mine are:
cut accurately.
measure twice, then cut once.
pin everything, especially intersections.
try not to be too self critical, someone will love it.
and something I have never been able to achieve....... always complete a project before beginning a new one.......:8}
Message 270 of 1,973
Latest reply