Peter Dutton's South African Farmers

A conservative push to resettle "persecuted" white South African farmers in Australia is gaining momentum with several MPs calling for a special humanitarian intake.

WA Liberal Ian Goodenough, whose electorate is home to one of the largest South African expat communities, said Australia accepted thousands of extra refugees from Syria in a one-off special intake and should do the same for white farmers "fleeing persecution".

"Violence and suffering affects all people universally," he told the ABC.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-16/persecuted-white-south-african-farmers-resettlement-gaining-mo...

Senator Di Natale called it remarkable Mr Dutton would seek to give preferential treatment to people on the basis of their skin colour.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-16/south-africa-wants-apology-from-dutton-over-farmers-comment...

You have to be of Middle Eastern appearance or non-white Afican to be a refugee?

Gimme a break!

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

cezm
Community Member

No, but apparently we haven't got room for the ones already in the queue.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Isn't this just another example of the political rhetoric we have to endure. I think it is important to remember that these politicians are just people who have afflictions like we do. Unfortunately, they seem to have a higher propensity for being d**k heads.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

But if thousands of Syrians can "jump the queue " by special dispensation, why call it "racist" because this particular group needing assistance happens to be white?
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

we could offer to send them to naru

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

i think the difference between the syrians and the south africans is not their colour per se,

its the fact the syrians (who are not white) were agreed to after much haggling, and it was made clear our govt would prefer not to bring them here.

where as mr dutton has used the word 'white' when saying he would like to bring these poor farmers here

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

There has been much "haggling" over this grop too. The suggestion has been made that their farming skills would benefit Australia.
Not quite sure how that would fly, as so many Australian farmers Are being forced off their land by drought, bank foreclosures, retailer predation etc.
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

@icyfrothwrote:
But if thousands of Syrians can "jump the queue " by special dispensation, why call it "racist" because this particular group needing assistance happens to be white?

Icy, I know I am a little off topic, but I think it is because it is the politically correct response in their eyes. The intent is to arouse the people and re-direct us away from the heart of the issue.

I used to know a girl who joined the Young Liberal Party because she genuinely wanted to contribute to solutions to the social and community issue at the time. She was a sincere and good person. She only lasted a few months and when I caught up with her, she was deeply depressed. She told me that she became disillusioned because very few people in the Party seemed to care about the issues at the time. She said the vast majority were focused on their career path and how to support the main Party to attain government. It really upset me, but opened my eyes because they broke her spirit.

I think it is important that we try and be wise to the sneaky and dirty, but clever tactics of politicians.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

its just another issue that has forced the PM to come out and make a statement to try to fix another ministers poorly timed public thought bubble.

does anybody think mr dutton ran this bye the PM before telling the gathered media?

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@icyfrothwrote:
There has been much "haggling" over this grop too. The suggestion has been made that their farming skills would benefit Australia.
Not quite sure how that would fly, as so many Australian farmers Are being forced off their land by drought, bank foreclosures, retailer predation etc.

And how would they handle Australian farming conditions without their cheap Kaffir labourers to prop up their labour force. Most of these farmers were in business during the apartheid time when they ruled their mini-kingdoms on the back of cheap labour

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply