Matthew Lodge incident 'disturbing' , says NRL adviser

Matthew Lodge incident 'one of the most disturbing cases I've ever reviewed', says NRL adviser

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-05/matthew-lodge-incident-horrifying-says-nrl-gender-adviser/9510...

This over paid sporting thug should be in a US prison, not here in australia playing sport like nothing happened!

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

As usual, the sports world looks on this as though it can be swept under the carpet because he is a 'well known' ruby player.

He is a thug, nothing more nothing less who uses his drinking problem as an excuse. Make him pay the compensation.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Yes, make him pay.  He's a thug who thinks he's priveliged.

The poor kid in that apartment is still terrified of loud noises.

He even told him "I'm too young to die"    How scared was that poor kid?

I repeat.  Make him pay.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

i am not from a rugby state, no nothing about the game but i'm sure like AFL fans id want to be watching the best players playing.

being best isnt just kicking goals or making that lunge that stops the opposition scoring.

its the guy off field too.

this guy needs a few things, and playing isnt one of them.

he needs to fess up publicly.

he needs to return to the USA and formally apolagise to his victims and put in place some contract to pay the 1.6 million dollars.

then he needs to stop drinking and get anger managment help.

its a miracle he didnt kill someone that night.

we should stop idolising 'bad' boys because they play sport well.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

The NRL and most certainly the Brisbane Broncos do not sweep matters like this under the carpet. Look at the fate of Todd Carney who to this day is still trying to get back into the NRL after being expelled for (non-aggressive) off-field behaviour in 2014. If anything, the NRL can be too harsh IMO.

Lodge is not a product of the NRL, he is a disturbed and violent individual who needs to be held accountable for his actions. But lets not forget the good people who play for the Broncos who spend much of their off-field time supporting children, the sick and the disabled. The rugby league culture attracts good, bad and ugly individuals just like many other industries. Unfortunately Lodge is a serious problem and does not fit in. I am confident the NRL and the Broncos will deal with him appropriately. He is exactly the type of person that they don't want.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

The 2018 reports belie the original terror caused read the 2015 report to get an inkling of what the victims went through.

He was originally facing 25 years gaol before the plea bargaining

I have a real problem that the thug was allowed to play last year let alone this year.

If the Redcliffe dolphins had garnished his wages last year or he had voluntarily taken personal responsibilty for his actions and came up with some type of plan to pay the compensation that he owes then I would be less judgemental.

This year it should be mandatory and should ave been signed sealed and delivered before he was given approval to play.

He was on "good' money last year but did not make an effort..... read the News quotes from November 2017 trying to soften the blow with BS....

I fear for the scruples of the young men he was doing regular work with to curb their alcoholism and to take PERSONAL responsibilty for their actions.

Dec2015

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/former-wests-tigers-player-matthew-lodge-pleads-guilty-in-us-court-...

Dec 2016

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/former-wests-tigers-nrl-player-matthew-lodge-avoids-us-jail-sentenc...

August 2017

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/list/the-lurker-wayne-bennett-take-massive-gamble-nrl-bad-boy-...

November 2017

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/brisbane-broncos-signing-bad-boy-matt-lodge-nrl-redcliffe...

“We believe after much consideration that he has worked back to a place where he now deserves a second chance,”

White said on the club website.

“He has been alcohol-free for more than two years and is doing regular work with young men on the dangers of alcohol, and taking personal responsibility for their actions.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Lodge played in the NRL in 2014 and 2015. To say he  is not a "product" of the NRL is a misnomer. Here are his stats.

He would have been groomed well before 2014 by one of WT feeder clubs.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/matt-lodge/summary.html

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@viewmont1071wrote:

Lodge played in the NRL in 2014 and 2015. To say he  is not a "product" of the NRL is a misnomer. Here are his stats.

He would have been groomed well before 2014 by one of WT feeder clubs.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/matt-lodge/summary.html

You've missed my point. I am suggesting that the NRL do not produce people like Lodge, they do not convert otherwise good people to bad people. Lodge owns his disordered personality and tendency towards aggression, it was not implanted in him by the NRL. He is responsible for his actions and his lack of remorse has not helped - it is a concern.

Sometimes the NRL will try and nurture a bad boy if there are indications that the person can be rehabilitated. And in instances it has worked. Some have gone on to have brilliant incident free careers. But others have been booted out because their disorder is too severe and they cannot control their off-field behaviour. The NRL do not groom players to be psychopaths - that is usually the product of an abusive and neglectful upbringing.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

If its the NRL that is giving this thug permission to sign a contract with an NRL Club then they need to stop it.

Hes been filmed beating the carp out of some innocent people.

they should not be allowing him to don a Gurnsey with the NRL badge sewn onto it.

i dont expect governing bodys to have a crystal ball and see into the future as to wether and player will do something terrible in the future, but when they are alerted to a player that HAS done something terrible, well i expect them to cut that player loose, send him on his way with a dont come monday letter.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@davidc4430wrote:

If its the NRL that is giving this thug permission to sign a contract with an NRL Club then they need to stop it.

Hes been filmed beating the carp out of some innocent people.

they should not be allowing him to don a Gurnsey with the NRL badge sewn onto it.

i dont expect governing bodys to have a crystal ball and see into the future as to wether and player will do something terrible in the future, but when they are alerted to a player that HAS done something terrible, well i expect them to cut that player loose, send him on his way with a dont come monday letter.

And then what, after he has been cut loose? Does he straighten himself out and become an upstanding citizen, or does he continue on a path that leads to more violence or perhaps more serious crimes? The NRL has him in their grasp and can help this guy if he is able to be helped.

The NRL attracts many disadvantaged kids who are travelling down the wrong path. But most have one thing in common - a talent and love for rugby league. If chosen the kid is flooded with support by staff, buddies and other players to learn about discipline, commitment, caring about a team etc., etc. The NRL knows that the support will be needed throughout the person's career if they develop a career. Some kids struggle more than others, but when they reach adulthood they are viewed able to make decisions about good and bad behaviour. It is those who eventually continue with the bad behaviour as adults who have to be cut loose because the NRL can do no more.

Personally, I would prefer we debate about these people while they are still with the NRL, rather than express our disgust about a heinous crime committed by a person who was dumped by the NRL years ago. Of course there is no crystal ball. But with the support of the NRL, some kids will make it and unfortunately some kids won't. Less innocent people will be harmed when there are success stories. I realise I am being somewhat contradictory, and that is because I am alarmed by Lodge's lack of remorse - that usually is not a good sign. But I do trust the NRL and the Broncos to make the correct decisions.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply