Plastic bag bans: Here's how the alternatives stack up

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-06-20/plastic-bag-ban-options/9874474

Message 1 of 62
Latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Just another stupid "nanny" law that punishes us all for the actions of a few. Punish the perpetrators and leave the rest of us alone, is what I say!

Message 2 of 62
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
I believe that it doesn't go far enough and all plastic should be banned.
Plastic hasn't been around that long. We did live without it for a very long time
Message 3 of 62
Latest reply

@marwi5023 wrote:
I believe that it doesn't go far enough and all plastic should be banned.
Plastic hasn't been around that long. We did live without it for a very long time

I dont have prob using plastic containers to store food but not those take away ones, far too many of those around today, they are garbage  and just end up at the tip ( or worse ).... I have been using my own bags at all the supermarkets for ages, if they get grubby, I give 'em a wash   ..... My pet hates are cling wrap and polystrene trays, I wont have them in my home.

Message 4 of 62
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
If I haven't eaten all my food I wrap it in alfoil. Then I can just heat it in the oven to eat later.
I don't have a microwave since it broke.
I very rarely have left overs and the only thing I throw out is bones.
Message 5 of 62
Latest reply

I'm not convinced that banning the bags was made for environmental reasons at all. I suspect supermarkets see it as a cost saver.

I bought special bags a few months ago. They have dowling or some such thing in the handles, so they can hang open in the trolley. When not in use, they roll up  and can hang on the hook near the handle of the trolley. So when I get to the checkout, i unload the groceries, then unfurl the bags and I can pack the groceries as they are scanned. This is in Aldi's i have to point out.

I think their set up is probably going to be the most efficient. Asking check out people to handle used bags might become a bit of an issue down the line for health reasons.

I read a woolies ad where they said once one of their bags wears out they will replace it for free & i think that sounds like a fairer solution. Then if a checkout operator struck a dirty bag, they could whip out a new one instead. The only trouble with them is they are long so a bit awkward to carry around if you want to browse other shops first. And I have learnt from experience to use the bigger bags only for light things or they get too heavy to lift.

.shopping bag.JPG

Message 6 of 62
Latest reply

I was talking to one of the Barmaids at a club on Monday evening, after I made a comment about them still having plastic straws.

She told me she went to a woolies store, no plastic bags and had ran out of other bags to put her groceries in.

Said she was quite annoyed , and walked out leaving all the groceries in the trolley, and said that she and her husband are thinking of taking a wheelbarrow next time they go to the store.

I haven't met her husband , but knowing her, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they do.

Message 7 of 62
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I'm not convinced that banning the bags was made for environmental reasons at all. I suspect supermarkets see it as a cost saver.

I bought special bags a few months ago. They have dowling or some such thing in the handles, so they can hang open in the trolley. When not in use, they roll up  and can hang on the hook near the handle of the trolley. So when I get to the checkout, i unload the groceries, then unfurl the bags and I can pack the groceries as they are scanned. This is in Aldi's i have to point out.

I think their set up is probably going to be the most efficient. Asking check out people to handle used bags might become a bit of an issue down the line for health reasons.

I read a woolies ad where they said once one of their bags wears out they will replace it for free & i think that sounds like a fairer solution. Then if a checkout operator struck a dirty bag, they could whip out a new one instead. The only trouble with them is they are long so a bit awkward to carry around if you want to browse other shops first. And I have learnt from experience to use the bigger bags only for light things or they get too heavy to lift.

.shopping bag.JPG

Are the dowel handles removable? 

Message 10 of 62
Latest reply