RCH refuse to return children

Well done, RCH drs for putting the children first and standing up to our politicians and their heart breaking stance on asylum seekers.

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/royal-childrens-hospital-doctors-refuse-to-return-children-to-detenti...

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 147
Latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

It is NOT illegal to seek asylum in Australia. I'll say it  yet again. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO SEEK ASYLUM IN AUSTRALIA.

But, the, don't let the facts get in the way of your villification.

Julian Burnside, QC, has stated that he will represent, pro bono, any of the hospital staff who end up being charged. They risked being jailed for up to two years for speaking out about detention centre conditions.

There have been reports of security guards hitting children. You are aware that there is an ongoing senate inquiry happening?

These detention centres will be our shame in the same way that the concentration camps are Germany's shame.

When people are allowed to speak without fear of being jailed or losing their jobs and their claims are verified - as they will be -what then? Will you continue to villify the victims and those who stand up for them?

Message 121 of 147
Latest reply

How dare any of you claim that the asylum seekers do not love their children. It is because they love their children that they are seeking asylum. It is because they love their children thet they fled their homes.

Convicted murderers, rapists and paedophiles are treated better than innocent people who only want safety for them and their children.

One point, before I go - busy day -  being in Australia without a valid visa is illegal, however, because we are signatories, this is cancelled oit for those seeking asylum. You are getting caught up in the legal jargon without understanding it.

Message 122 of 147
Latest reply

the facts. yes please. 

abc fact check:

Any person arriving in Australia without a visa, including an asylum seeker, is an "unlawful non-citizen" under Australian law.

Mr Morrison can rely upon the definition of "illegal entry" in the people smuggling protocol, which Australia signed and ratified, so long as he makes it clear that he is doing so.

The verdict

Mr Morrison is correct.

Based on the definition set out in the people smuggling protocol, people who have come to Australia without a valid visa have illegally entered the country.

That is the case even though these people have not committed any crime, nor broken any Australian or international law.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-06/morrison-correct-illegal-entry-people/4935372

Message 123 of 147
Latest reply

being in Australia without a valid visa is illegal, however, because we are signatories, this is cancelled oit for those seeking asylum.

the law is not cancelled out, that is

why those who enter  illegally

are detained.  the refugee convention 

states detention of those who enter

a country illegally, is legal.

You are getting caught up in the legal jargon without understanding it.

Message 124 of 147
Latest reply

bluecat*slowdancing wrote:

Julian Burnside, QC, has stated that he will represent, pro bono, any of the hospital staff who end up being charged. They risked being jailed for up to two years for speaking out about detention centre conditions.

Firstly, I admire your empathy with the plight of these children.  

I doubt very much that J. Burnside will get any chance to represent RCH staff,   Most, if any, haven't been to Nauru to  be able to report on the conditions for which they could be charged. 

The whole original news article that was introduced to this topic, is a mish-mash of bits and pieces of "he said, she said, this survey, that rope burn, etc." and it has all been jumbled up for some organization's justification for Being-Some-Organization to take money from vulnerable people.

I DO believe the doctors and staff of RCH, as most of us agree, that children shouldn't be in detention.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/24/nauru-guards-accused-of-assaulting-children

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Regional_processing_Nauru/Regional_pr...

Are these the references to which you allude in regard to the bashing by a guard and an "on-going" enquiry?

If they aren't could you specify - at your convenience.

DEB

Message 125 of 147
Latest reply

i think burnside will be on the verdict tv show

tonight.

Message 126 of 147
Latest reply

@bluecat*slowdancing wrote:

It is NOT illegal to seek asylum in Australia. I'll say it  yet again. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO SEEK ASYLUM IN AUSTRALIA.

There have been reports of security guards hitting children. You are aware that there is an ongoing senate inquiry happening?

These detention centres will be our shame in the same way that the concentration camps are Germany's shame.

When people are allowed to speak without fear of being jailed or losing their jobs and their claims are verified - as they will be -what then? Will you continue to villify the victims and those who stand up for them?

It is illegal to enter a country without proper authorization. It is illegal to country shop, to pay traffickers money to break our laws to gain entry illegally.

It is not illegal to go through the proper channels to seek a visa to enter a country. It is not illegal to go to the UNHCR to gain legal immigration and present your ID or any other material you may have.

The reason why these people are still in detention is that they are not legally allowed to enter Australia just because they want to, that is a crime.

They are not willing to resettle anywhere else but Australia and that is the reason they are still in detention.. and I am not vilifying anyone so your comments are hostile and interpersonal.

Message 127 of 147
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

Firstly, I admire your empathy with the plight of these children.  

I doubt very much that J. Burnside will get any chance to represent RCH staff,   Most, if any, haven't been to Nauru to  be able to report on the conditions for which they could be charged. 

The whole original news article that was introduced to this topic, is a mish-mash of bits and pieces of "he said, she said, this survey, that rope burn, etc." and it has all been jumbled up for some organization's justification for Being-Some-Organization to take money from vulnerable people.

I DO believe the doctors and staff of RCH, as most of us agree, that children shouldn't be in detention.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/24/nauru-guards-accused-of-assaulting-children

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Regional_processing_Nauru/Regional_pr...

Are these the references to which you allude in regard to the bashing by a guard and an "on-going" enquiry?

If they aren't could you specify - at your convenience.

DEB

Silence is the answer you get lloyd. Pity I thought you post was really good. 

Message 128 of 147
Latest reply

We are all fully aware of the fact

That it is not illegal to seek asylum

In australia.

There is no need to reiterate that fact

We are all fully aware 

That it is not illegal to seek asylum

In australia 

How you go about it is what makes it 

Illegal.

Signatory or not the australian gov.

Can and  has overidden this on 

Suspicion of a threat to its people

Hence turning back the boats:)

Message 129 of 147
Latest reply

You can't be serious! are you equating detention centres with the nazi death camps??

Message 130 of 147
Latest reply