RCH refuse to return children

Well done, RCH drs for putting the children first and standing up to our politicians and their heart breaking stance on asylum seekers.

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/royal-childrens-hospital-doctors-refuse-to-return-children-to-detenti...

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 147
Latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/protests-rising-against-prolonged-detention-of-children-in-nauru...

IT’S the most sensitive bipartisan policy shared by the Coalition and Labor but increasingly the major parties are being isolated by a growing unrest and anger among voters. The issue is the prolonged detention of child asylum seekers — possibly for the rest of their lives — and the damage this is causing their mental and physical health.

And now an influential Liberal MP is telling the Turnbull government that voters have shifted on asylum seeker policy and want children out of detention centres.

Mr Broadbent said the Royal Children’s Hospital was “the most revered organisation in Victoria bar none, a conservative group of people who service our community in the most amazing way”. “When the people shift the politicians will shift,” he said. “They will understand they need to do something in regard to long term detention. I know the Government is going to enormous efforts to resolve this issue in this nation,” he said.

Message 81 of 147
Latest reply

Thats because most are  leftists

Message 82 of 147
Latest reply

Its an orchestrated Labor strategy, they couldn't care less about detainees or their children.

If they think that using children of illegal immigrants is going to change the border policy, it wont, they  know it won’t and they wont change it either.

Hypocritical politicking.

Message 83 of 147
Latest reply

from my link

And now an influential Liberal MP is telling the Turnbull government that voters have shifted on asylum seeker policy and want children out of detention centres.

Victorian backbencher Russell Broadbent is among government MPs calling for the release of 200 minors held on Nauru and the mainland.

Message 84 of 147
Latest reply

To me, it is an humanitarian issue - as long as the welfare of the children is a priority I am not really interested in the motives of politicians - but, to be honest, the only person here (in this thread) who appears to be trying to make political capital out of it is you.

Message 85 of 147
Latest reply

It is not illegal to seek asylum in Australia. That it is, is a myth and not fact - whether you agree with it or not.

Message 86 of 147
Latest reply

Under international law, it is not illegal to seek asylum.

Article 14(1) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights provides that ‘everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution’.

Article 31 of the Refugees Convention, to which Australia is a signatory, states that it is legal to enter a country for the purposes of seeking asylum. Article 31 further provides that signatory states should not impose penalties for entering illegally.

The Refugees Convention recognises a right to enter a country for the purposes of seeking asylum, regardless of how people arrive or whether they hold valid travel or identity documents.

Under the Migration Act 1958 people who have come to Australia without a valid visa have illegally entered the country. That is the case even though these people have not committed any crime, nor broken any Australian or international law.

Under the Act an asylum seeker is an ‘unlawful non-citizen’ where they enter without a valid visa. However it is not a criminal offence under the Migration Act to arrive in Australia without a visa.

Message 87 of 147
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

To me, it is an humanitarian issue - as long as the welfare of the children is a priority I am not really interested in the motives of politicians - but, to be honest, the only person here (in this thread) who appears to be trying to make political capital out of it is you.

Are you making this an interpersonal issue?  if you are it's in violation of CS rules and regs.

Message 88 of 147
Latest reply

Are you making this an interpersonal issue?  if you are it's in violation of CS rules and regs.

Not at all. I am merely responding to your posts #82 and #83 where you have argued that the whole issue is a leftist conspiracy. I haven't noticed anyone else suggesting the issue is politically motivated, but if they have, then I am happy to be corrected.

Message 89 of 147
Latest reply

http://blogs.rch.org.au/news/2015/10/12/children-in-immigration-detention/

Detention centres have guards, fences, and checkpoints. Guards take children to school. Guards bring these children to the RCH, and stay at the door of their room or clinic for as long as the child is at the hospital.

In detention, families are not able to function. Everyday activities, that we take for granted in the community, are not possible. Parents are not able to cook for their children. They cannot take them to school, or have space to be alone as a family.

Over time, we see parents and children fall apart under this strain. They develop severe mental health problems and lose hope for the future. We see parents become overwhelmed and lose their confidence. Some parents can’t care for their children because of their own mental health problems.

Children have nightmares, bed-wetting, and behaviour problems. They develop depression and anxiety symptoms, and their development is affected. These issues are so common they’ve become normal in detention.

It is difficult, if not impossible, for us to treat these children while they are still detained. Detention centres are not safe for children. Children are exposed to the distress, violence and mental health problems of adults, and parents cannot protect their children from these circumstances.

We are concerned about the impact of detention on children.

We are concerned about the children who remain in detention today.

Message 90 of 147
Latest reply