Round Table Revisited

And so Lord of the String said unto the peoples, "Go forth anew. Seek a land you can call your own."

The people saw it was good.

So, on the last day the people said their solemn goodbyes and began the long journey to the promised new land.

And so began the new land and its people were joyous!

Welcome, to the Return of the Round Table known as...

"Round Table Revisited" (RTR)
Message 1 of 29,664
Latest reply
29,663 REPLIES 29,663

Re: Stringers

I suspect it has Karen and not for the better Smiley Sad

The demographic has been impacted by the influx of fluro vested workers and of course their fat wallets.  I do not speak from experience as I did not know it before then but I do know that the local residents are unhappy about the changes even though they must be enjoying the spoils of those fat wallets.

I think it would basically be the change of 'atmosphere' they would be most unhappy about.

Edited a spello - I hate them lol

Message 13661 of 29,664
Latest reply

I was there before the mining millions, it was such a beautiful town,...great fishing too. I sunk into the quicksand, that was pretty scary lol

Not long ago I looked for a house to rent there for a friend,,,800 pw for basic accommodation! So I'm guessing now the miners and tourists rent the houses and have pushed the prices up. FIFO jobs can really wreck a small town's character.
Message 13662 of 29,664
Latest reply

$800 is a mere bagatelle when you think of what some are paying for accommodation up there.

The large companies pay exhorbitant amounts for accommodation for those posted up there!  It is actually quite appalling imo.

Talk about conspicuous consumption!!

You have to wonder how those folk who work in the less well paid jobs get on (let alone those without work) - it must be like stacks on the mill in some of their houses Smiley Sad

Message 13663 of 29,664
Latest reply

This FIFO jobs take the best housing, don't participate in community life cos they're only there to work,...they can ruin outback towns. I guess Broome is lucky because it has tourism as a backup...and the aboriginal heritage....and the fishing...and pearls. Love the pearls up there!
Message 13664 of 29,664
Latest reply

It does of course have the tourism backup and all those other elements you listed but changing the 'fabric' of the population can have a hugely negative impact can't it!

Will just have to remember to take our fluro vests off when we go up there lol

Message 13665 of 29,664
Latest reply

Have you ever been to turkey creek? Lol! What a strange town...all the towns on that road are unusual. They have outdoor pubs,,,the publican sits in a secure cage and all the patrons hang outside under trees. I loved visiting them, had an absolutely great time and met so many fascinating people.
Message 13666 of 29,664
Latest reply

No I havn't but strangely enough some friends were telling me the other day they had to stay there for a week whilst they waited for some replacement parts for their vehicle to be shipped up.

They were not exactly delighted to be stuck there for so long but then 'horses for courses' I guess lol

Message 13667 of 29,664
Latest reply

Good morning Stringsters

Exmouth brings back some very fond memories. WA is an amazing state, I am always urging people to visit.

But, I think if I were ever hot enough to drink a beer, I would like to do it in air conditioned comfort, not sitting under a tree with the spiders and snakes. 🙂

Have a great day everyone.

Message 13668 of 29,664
Latest reply

morning allSmiley Happy 

where else in the world can it be 30 degrees one day and 17 the next? Woman Surprised

some funny things happen don't they?  Cat Mad

Message 13669 of 29,664
Latest reply

morning23.gif

Good morning xx

Message 13670 of 29,664
Latest reply