Saudi Arabia becomes first country to grant a robot citizenship

johcaschro
Community Member

Saudi Arabia becomes first country to grant a robot citizenship– and people are saying it already has more rights than women

"A robot has been granted citizenship in Saudi Arabia and it appears to already have more rights than the country's women.

The robot Sophia was created by Hong Kong-based company Hanson Robotics and it appeared at a technology conference in Saudi's capital, Riyadh. 

It was able to appear on stage by itself without the permission of a male guardian and with its head and body uncovered. 

Many people took to Twitter to point out that Sophia technically had more rights than women. One woman tweeted: “Sophia, the first robot to be granted citizenship in Saudi Arabia, has more rights than the human women there."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-robot-citizenship-more-rights-than-...

Someone made the comment on this news “I’m wondering if robot Sophia can leave Saudi Arabia without her guardian consent ! Since she’s officially Saudi.”

and, she doesn't have to wear the veil either, despite "her" appearance being female.

What a weird country.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Saudi Arabia becomes first country to grant a robot citizenship

That's the same robot that said she wanted to destroy humans. Then later said she was only kidding, lol.

Sound familiar?

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I'm curious.......

Where did they place the ......  MADE IN CHINA sticker?

Man Tongue

All jokes aside, I cant believe how realistic it actually looks.

Does she have free thinking or is she pre-programmed I wonder.
This intrigues me....  I'll have to do a tad  more research.
Thanks for posting this.
Cheers

xxj

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Jane, your talking actual AI which does not exist yet. AI is a long way off still.

All programmed at the moment. No better than a kids toy, mind you a BIG EXPENSIVE kids toy.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

memegen.jpg

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

images.jpg

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

Jane, your talking actual AI which does not exist yet. AI is a long way off still.

All programmed at the moment. No better than a kids toy, mind you a BIG EXPENSIVE kids toy.

From what I've read, it's debatable. Some say it exists on a level of a 4 year old. To me the debate looks like, are people talking about AI or actual consciousness.

(advances have been made since this article was written 11 months ago.)

http://data-informed.com/how-far-are-we-from-true-artificial-intelligence-and-do-we-really-want-to-g...

The answers are not preprogrammed. No more than we are. The first 30 seconds are the latest version. I'm wondering if the guy at the beginning is actually a robot from the future.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I'd say she's conscious when she requests control over her off button.

If she's a Saudi citizen does she now need a passport? Special screening process when she flies?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

so a robot has more rights than a woman does over there......................

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

start worrying when she says....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPePk3kGZk

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply