She must be some might fine designer

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/21/tony-abbotts-daughter-did-not-have-to-pay-for-60000-des...

Tony Abbott’s daughter Frances received a “chairman’s scholarship” for a degree costing more than $60,000 from the Whitehouse Institute of Design where an Abbott donor sits as chairman on the board of governors, Guardian Australia can reveal.

The revelation raises questions for the prime minister over whether the scholarship should have been declared on his interests register.

The Coalition government is also under pressure over changes to higher education funding announced in the budget.

Frances Abbott undertook a bachelor of design at the Whitehouse Institute of Design in Sydney from 2011 to 2013. Guardian Australia has confirmed that she received a scholarship during her time at the institute.

“Frances definitely was a student with us and received a chairman’s scholarship,” Leanne Whitehouse, director of the Institute told Guardian Australia. She declined to detail how many times the “chairman’s scholarship” has been awarded previously, but the institute’s website makes no references to the scholarship and states the institute “does not currently offer scholarships to gain a place into the Bachelor of Design”.

Message 1 of 221
Latest reply
220 REPLIES 220

Re: She must be some might fine designer

@monman12 wrote:

This thread has surpassed even the Guardian in its tackiness and political opportunism, As for the AIMN author and her article she is one of the ranks of  "citizen journalists and bloggers" !

What do you make of the News corp and other main stream media articles, dodo?

And what do you have against citizen journalists and bloggers? 

Message 191 of 221
Latest reply

If the scholarship was paid for by Leanne Whitehouse, would that be tax deductible in some way? Genuine question because I don't know.
Message 192 of 221
Latest reply

I am not sure how a school or college would account for a scholarship given. No payment is received for the amount of the scholarship.

Message 193 of 221
Latest reply

''Even when I worked there, it was extremely difficult to find out how the scholarship system worked,'' said Ms Rappell, the former head of interior design, who left Whitehouse in January 2012. ''I attempted to get a scholarship for a very good student who had run out of funding and I couldn't get it, even though she was the top student in her degree course.

''This isn't about sour grapes,'' she said. ''It doesn't sit right with me that the Liberal Party in particular are making cuts to higher education and upping debt repayment while one person in particular gets a free education under the radar.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/system-that-awarded-scholarship-to-frances-abbott-is-still-a-mystery-...

seems it's still a mystery.

Message 194 of 221
Latest reply

From my understanding from the students we know who received scholarships for university, they were a set payment which could be used for fees or living expenses or whatever (I've said that somewhere else too if I sound repetitive) but I don't know who funded them, if that makes a difference.
Message 195 of 221
Latest reply

For what's its worth, here's my take on the whole thing.

I think I believe the Abbbott family and the Whitehouse Institute probably haven't done anything illegal or against the rules.
However, I also believe it's not only important for our elected representatives to do the right thing, but also to be seen to do the right thing. I think that is where this has all gone to custard. It simply doesn't look good for a family, that can very well afford expensive tuition fees, to seem to take advantage of connections they may have.

Pure and simply I think it's tacky, and insulting to the rest of the community that is being asked to tighten their belts and share the load.

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

Yes, it is. There would be a lot of prospective students for Design Schools in Sydney, rest of NSW, other parts of Austrralia and only one received a non advertised, very rare scholarship worth $60 000.

The Whitehouse College can give scholarships to who ever they want to, but they don't. Only the one franted to FA to study at the college in 25 years ( martini mentioned the only other scholarship granted was to study at a sister college overseas).

That is ODD.

Message 197 of 221
Latest reply

em - if the private college course fees due were $60 000 and the scholarship was $60 000... would they actually hand that cash over to the recipient and wait for them to hand it back?

Private school scholarships - fees are reduced by amount of scholarship.

Message 198 of 221
Latest reply

I know that is how scholarships work in private schools, but for uni (here) you can use the cash to pay for accommodation, for example if you need to move away from home but don't fit into any criteria as independent for Centrelink purposes, then get a hecs debt for your fees.
I don't know anything about private universities.
Message 199 of 221
Latest reply

I can't recall the details but one of mine was awarded a scholarship for a 6 month Uni placement in Japan. The money was put in her bank account so she could pay her own expenses.

Message 200 of 221
Latest reply