Silent war

Wow, just... wow.

I saw this news online.

‘Silent civil war’: Irish teacher jailed for refusing to call boy a girl (msn.com)

This teacher has not only lost his job but is jailed indefinitely for failing to comply and call a boy a girl. Or use the term 'they'.

I particularly dislike the term 'they' for one person as the term is plural. The word 'it' would be more appropriate, in fact, or if someone is really uncomfortable, just call the child by name.

But the part that resonates with me is further down in the report, where it says that we are at the stage of compelling people to say things they don't believe in.

I'm not arguing the rights or wrongs of someone 'transitioning'.

Just saying we should allow people their personal beliefs. Calling the child by name or 'him' is not a crime worth jailing anyone for, it is a travesty of justice.

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Silent war

So-called "teachers" who propagate such ridiculous urban legends deserve the contempt rightly reserved for Sky News.

Message 11 of 71
Latest reply

This is what those liars at the outrage factory (Sky News) omitted.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/enoch-burke-to-remain-in-prison-for-christmas-after-refusing-to-...

Message 12 of 71
Latest reply

Witu regard to the claim kids are identifying as dogs etc, what a load of malarkey.

Message 13 of 71
Latest reply

Springyzone, it’s my position that had the teacher been imprisoned on the grounds of refusing to use the “their/they” pronoun as described, it would be a misuse of the criminal justice system to say the least.

Had he been dismissed on such grounds, equally problematic. Could that really be justified? That’s a topic separate to the imprisonment issue.

However, it certainly seems on the basis of the evidence that the teacher’s behaviour has possibly given cause for dismissal. Was he not focusing on and delivering the actual teaching? In light of his continuing to go to the school subsequently, in breach of an order (and apparently - reading between the lines - creating a nuisance / public disturbance there)… and refusing to agree to stay away from the school as directed by the judge, and also in view of repeatedly and loudly interrupting the judge in court, this is no longer an issue of beliefs and choice as initially presented.

I don’t dismiss Sky News as having no valid perspectives to offer…  because unless we are willing to consider a wide variety of sources and views, we can never even approach objectivity or truth. But here the story has clearly left out a good deal of information. The teacher isn’t imprisoned at present because of his religious views or consideration of pronouns or world perspective; he’s imprisoned because of contempt of court and that order would vacate if he agreed to stay away from the school.

So… a much wider issue here! Interesting…

Message 14 of 71
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:

Witu regard to the claim kids are identifying as dogs etc, what a load of malarkey.

Sadly, it's true. My cousin wouldn't make that stuff up. Nor would my work colleague, whose son has just finished year 11, showing her a photo of said "dog" being lead around by the maths teacher at one of the local high schools (different state to my cousin), because it was time for "walkies". 

I don't have an issue with people who wish to change their gender, or anything else like that. I do have an issue with kids identifying as dogs (or some other animal) and the schools having to pander to this rubbish, because it's been demanded by whoever (probably the parents). If the parents want to put up with this carp at home, go right ahead, but why should other students be disadvantaged, because the maths teacher has had to leave the class to take the "dog" for a walk, because the "dog" demanded it right now?

I wonder if these "dogs" live outside in a kennel at home?

Message 15 of 71
Latest reply

Australia's leading "news" site prints a story from the UKs The Sun which just happens to be another Murdoch rag. Grain of salt, folks

Message 17 of 71
Latest reply

"I don’t dismiss Sky News as having no valid perspectives to offer…  because unless we are willing to consider a wide variety of sources and views, we can never even approach objectivity or truth. But here the story has DELIBERATELY left out a good deal of information. The teacher isn’t imprisoned at present because of his religious views or consideration of pronouns or world perspective; he’s imprisoned because of contempt of court and that order would vacate if he agreed to stay away from the school."

Fixed that for you.

Message 18 of 71
Latest reply

Intelligent life.png

Message 19 of 71
Latest reply

@*sons_n_daughters* wrote:

I wonder if these "dogs" live outside in a kennel at home?

🤣

Message 20 of 71
Latest reply