Supporting Australian grown... not

legarlu
Community Member

DD went to Woolies the other day to buy passionfruit.  The produce section didn't have any but she did manage

to get some tinned Passionfruit Pulp (select brand).   I checked where it came from.  "Made in China".

Australia doesn't grow passionfruit now we have to import them.  Disgusting.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

You have to check tinned fruit too because very few are Australian grown now. We prefer the tinned fruit in syrup rather than juice, but none of the syrup ones are grown in Australia, so we don't buy them any more.

Rice is another thing that irritates me. You really have to check the packet for that too. The size of the bag can alter the growing location. A 2kg bag of Sunrice might be grown in Australia, a 1kg bag grown in Thailand. Sometimes the medium grain is grown in Aus, other times it's Thailand. Same with the long grain. Last time I bought rice I got the Woollies Select because that day, it was the only one grown in Aust.

I know the main rice growing area in NSW has had lots of rainfall over recent months but rice grows in water, so it's no excuse!

It's easy for people to get caught with quite a few things. A brand might be Australian owned, so show the symbol reflecting that. Yet, when you look at the packet, the contents are grown/produced overseas. Jars of minced garlic, ALL contain local and imported ingredients. They don't have to specify where the imported ingredients come from, so who knows if they are up to Australian standards?

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

Tippy, looking for Aussie rice drives me nuts.    Haven't been able to buy any for ages.

I found the expensive Clever Rice is made in Australia, but I can't get it all the time. 

When I find an Aussie rice, I buy heaps of it to tide me over.

Same with the minced garlic.  Sometimes, WW has their own brand, Aussie grown.

But they hide it in the F & V section.  It's in a tube usually next to the bulbs.  

And it's hard to get Aussie grown bulbs of garlic as well.  Either Mexican or Chinese.

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

We could have a thread with thousands of items that used to be grown and produced in Australia, but are not Australian anymore.

Last year in winter I wanted to buy some oranges and all the oranges in the supermarket had stickers "Product of  USA"

When I asked the manager why we have to buy oranges from America, he tried to tell me they are out of season in Australia. I told him to try and pull my other leg. I had just returned from Queensland and where I had been, they had oranges growing on the median strips in town.

Erica.

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Wasn't there talk of new rules whereby supermarkets were going to make it easier for shoppers by having aisles allocated for Australian made and easier to read labels listing where items are made.  Can't say I've noticed.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Not that I remember

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

legarlu, you are correct.

The new labelling requirements will show what percentage of a product is local.

Not sure when it is becoming mandatory.

Good idea Erica, what about a thread and a running list of brands of All Australian items hard to find.

For example I didn't know about the rice stalks just mentioned and will look for it now.

image host
Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

There was something recently on Landline about imported tinned tomatoes, LaGina made in Italy processed by underpaid migrant workers and grown in conditions that were questionable.  MP Sharman Stone (now retired) was interviewed saying they should

not have been allowed into Australia, but there was an influx at the time of imported tinned tomatoes.

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Cwlth of Aus labelling - http://www.foodlabels.industry.gov.au/

On the unscrupulous overseas business practises, gee that would be hard to police.

image host
Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

I wont buy any fresh/tinned /frozen food if it not from Australia   .... wont take the chance

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply