Supporting Australian grown... not

legarlu
Community Member

DD went to Woolies the other day to buy passionfruit.  The produce section didn't have any but she did manage

to get some tinned Passionfruit Pulp (select brand).   I checked where it came from.  "Made in China".

Australia doesn't grow passionfruit now we have to import them.  Disgusting.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Please............not Ima.................Stawka or Stawks  toothless.gif

You have a PM

Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

I have replied!

Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

I buy my LG rice from ALDI; As I was having trouble finding locally grown rice.

Image result for smiley confused animated

Redders, I went into Aldi last night and almost all their rice is either from

Thailand or Italy.

The only Aussie grown rice they had was brown rice - and I don't eat that

Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

Basmati for me and I don't think that variety is grown here.
Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

The one on Dalton Rd Epping has Aussie grown white LG rice Stawks!  Sometimes its from Thailand (That's when I don't buy!) I was there yesterday & their rice was Aussie in that store. The packs look the same; You just have to be diligent in reading the country of origin. I also buy Koala brand jasmine rice from Woolies & sushi rice made by Sunrice in Aust (I love sushi & make my own!)

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

I find the other annoying thing about supermarkets (and everywhere) and that should be legislated for is the 'use by' date.  It shoudl be in the same place all the time - either lid or base, all goods.  Otherwise sometimes, and especially if I dont change glasses (!!) I can't find, or I do find it and it is so small I can't read it. 

It should be a legal reguirement, same place on all goods and of at least a certain font size IMO. 

Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

I dont trust labels ever since i discovered first hand they're not worth the ink they're printed with!

Way back in the 90's, I knew heaps of folks who worked at Edgells Cannery. (this cannery closed years and years ago)
Even back then, cans of food items, (eg: corn, tomatoes, spaghetti, asparagus, creamed corn, potatoes etc) were been processed by this particular cannery.

Other companies would pay this company to label THEIR cans for them on items they were unable to source.
So an example might be, SPC might be unable to can sliced peaches for 6mths, so they *contract* another canning company to use their SPC lable on the sliced peaches they are currently canning!
Its the same product, same can, different label with different ingredients and location and country of origin!
Its a ruddy rort!

In 2013, I helped out a *friend of a friend* and did some work in a small locally owned Spring-Water bottling factory for 3 weeks.  They were bottling water under a label that was registered as been in Victoris (it was in  NSW, just out of the BM....  Sold and now owned by a company in China) and during the day, they would change labels and bottle for  2 x other companies.

I did manage one day to grab a bottle with the other companies on them and I read and compared all labels. The ingredient list was what sparked my interest. (yes, bottled spring water has an ingredient list! LOL)  They were all completely different to each other.
All three labels stated they were produced in Melbourne, Vic!!!

In the 90's, I was young and really didnt give a hoot!

Now I do!
So... I dont trust labels.

I mostly do my shopping at Aldi, IGA or farmers markets. I will rarely shop at Coles or Woolies if I can help it at all....

P/S,  STAWKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....  if you saw what the condition of tomatoes were used to produce tin tomatoes, you would NEVER eat tin tomatoes ever again!  I saw, and I refuse to buy them...  Australian standards arent worth the paper they're written on either! Just saying mate Man Wink

happy digesting folks  Man Very Happy

xxj

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

My elderly Dad worked in fashion manufacturing & design from the 1960's to 1980's - way back when Australia actually manufactured clothing.

The items would come down the same line to sewn in tagging; Some went  with Target tags (when Target was new to Australia) & others the more expensive Myer tagging. Same items. Huge price point difference! Myer was the main store back then.

Other big stores who used Aussie manufacturers were:-  David Jones; Buckley& Nunn; Henry Bucks; Venture; Waldrons; Rodney & etc. All stores long gone now.  Except DJ

His company had during the 1970's the Pierre Cardin men's ties & clothing franchise in Aust. Pierre had nothing to do with the Aussie operations or designs. The items were designed by my father. He was able to independantly patent a silk weave design that still gives him a small payout, even though he's now over 80yo! Essentially the "P" or other logo woven into fabric; when cut for favour was the design. Sadly the patent didn't cover polyester or blends; so only a small patent annuity.

As an aside... When was the last time anyone was able to buy a pair of Aussie made women's panties/ knickers? 

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

As an another reply to this same post. My hubby was taken on a tour of a meat processing  factory in Primary School : He hasn't & won't eat manufactued ham & strass type meats since! (We are talking 50yrs ago!) 

He will eat hand carved ham from the bone @ Xmas. That is all. I make Pastrami ; Corned Beef & snags & that is fine; but no manufactured meats for him other than what I make! 

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

@redders_60 wrote:

As an another reply to this same post. My hubby was taken on a tour of a meat processing  factory in Primary School : He hasn't & won't eat manufactued ham & strass type meats since! (We are talking 50yrs ago!) 

@He will eat hand carved ham from the bone @ Xmas. That is all. I make Pastrami ; Corned Beef & snags & that is fine; but no manufactured meats for him other than what I make! 

Ive also seen inside a meat processing plant... erk, vomit, chuck norris!

on a side note... as a very young child, our local small town butcher was a friendly bloke. My mother would send me up the street to get the meat. He once told me that lamb cuttles were coated in the sawdust he had on his floor!  LOL
back then as a 6yr old, i believed him... naturally, i know the difference now, but ive never been able to stomach lamb cuttlets LOL

I'm not fond of processed meats either, although, and guilty as charged, today I've eaten half a nob of strausberg that my husband bought himself yesterday. Ive had a burning mouth today because of it ... i bet i'll have a burning something else tomorrow though.!!  LOL

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 30 of 31
Latest reply