Tablet information needed

lal-au0
Community Member

We want to go camping in a camper van and thought that it would be handy if we had internet access while travelling. So the obvious choice is a tablet (over a laptop).

We don't want apple so it's gonna be a samsung like that one 291561600307 maybe.

We don't want to spend $1000 for the latest one, we just need something to check out on the internet what things worth seeing are around us, the next shop/whatever.

We have seen them in optus shops but are not sure if it's better to buy one on ebay and then get a contract for the internet or go into an optus/telstra shop and buy one there.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Tablet information needed

@lal-au0 wrote:

i have seen apple laptops and i don't like the layout but what's more important i don't like how they treat their customers and how they stuff isn't compatible with anything else.

my sisters have ipods and apple laptops and i dislike everything about them.

I agree, I wont buy apple products either. I have way less trouble with my Sony phone and Galaxy tablet than my friends have with their ipods and ipads. My phone takes much better photos too.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 11 of 39
Latest reply

Personally I dont buy anything off ebay that I'd expect a warranty for, too easy to get stung.

if you use BIN and the (aus) seller is in

the business of selling, you should

be covered i think ?

Message 12 of 39
Latest reply

Why not just buy a 3g/Wi Max USB Dongle?

About the size of a large thumb stick in which you can fit a sim card, then plugs into a USB socket, and voila you have your computer with 3G Internet capability (if there is a signal of course).

DONGLES

John siggy.GIF

Message 13 of 39
Latest reply

i don't like how they treat their customers

apple support is actually quite good.

when was the last time you used it?

Message 14 of 39
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

Personally I dont buy anything off ebay that I'd expect a warranty for, too easy to get stung.

if you use BIN and the (aus) seller is in

the business of selling, you should

be covered i think ?

There have been many cases where, particularly computer buyers, have been stung when purchasing brand new items from ebay. Some manufacturers have clauses against selling their products on ebay type sites and it automatically voids warranty.

Now that we have many of the big name retailers selling on ebay its probably less of a problem but I'd still be wary of buying a computer type product from anyone without impeccable long term feedback for that product.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 15 of 39
Latest reply

And even feedback is not the best indicator, there is a machinery seller, probably one the biggest ebay sellers Australia has, whose negative feedback magically disappears quite regularly. It doesnt get revised, its just like it never happened. They are notorious for selling dodgy products and not covering them by the warranties they supposedly offer.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 16 of 39
Latest reply

i have heard the stories from my sisters and my dad how they were treated. even if i liked the layout that would be enough to never buy an apple. i also witnessed it myself, going with them to an apple shop trying to buy something. their service is worse than ebay customer support!

hubby mentioned a hybrid (?), a thing between a tablet and a laptop where you can plug in a keyboard but i guess they would be rather expensive.

Message 17 of 39
Latest reply

As far as I know you are always better getting the tablet from a store not on contract ,just make sure you know  the difference as some samsung tablets take a sim card in them and some are Wi Fi and require a separate  wi fi unit as well as they have no sim slot.

Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

i am not sure what the difference is between a wifi and a sim....i always thought a wifi was something like a playstation for playing games with.

so you think it's better to buy a tablet in say the good guys for example and then walk into an optus/telstra shop and have it connected to the internet?

Message 19 of 39
Latest reply

i always thought a wifi was something like a playstation for playing games with

wi-fi means wireless internet

connection.

were you thinking of wii fit maybe lol

Message 20 of 39
Latest reply