Testing a friendship

Hi all,

Just thought I would write and ask your advice on this issue. 

I bought a second hand sofa set for $100 (a three piece set) a while ago and my friend needed a sofa and I didnt have space to store it, so I lent it to him. Recently, he decided to get a new sofa set and said he wanted to return it (this is not knowing how damaged it was). We decided he should sell it for me and just recently he posted it on ebay and sold it for $7.50!!

TBH I didnt care for the sofa, but auctioning it for probably 99 cents and selling it for $7.50 is pretty **bleep**. And he's reply is "Yes, Im a bit shocked at how low it ended up" + the fact that his dog has made holes and scratches on it. So my question is should I ask for more money (out of his pocket) like $50 more? (but he did give me $20).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Danish-style-3-peice-Sofa-set-1x2-Seater-and-2-Lounge-Chairs-20th-centur...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Testing a friendship - now a bit off topic

Not worth thinking about over a couple of hundred clams.

As said, life is too short, I select my friends more wisely these days.

I'm getting tired of being the nice guy and not getting the same in return.

The positive side to that is it makes it easier to decide with whom I give my time to. Smiley Wink

And the rest, well it's funny how they don't seem to make the effort when I don't.

How much do you think he would have gotten? (mind you, the auction ended on Mothers Day).

In the condition it's in, maybe 50 - 70 as a restorer. (I know a little about Danish furniture)

image host
Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

@myfashionnation wrote:
How much do you think he would have gotten? (mind you, the auction ended on Mothers Day).

I said he was lucky to get $7.50 - which he didn't.  There's fvf's to come out of that.

It should have been put out for council collection.

Kopes has hit the nail on the head IMO as far as friends are concerned.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice! I would love to have gotten that price or start at that price at least!

(at least it shows what kind of a friend he is with other people's property).

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Just a bit off topic...

is there a resellers group or such things (like in the US there is theposhhanger, rockstarflipper, statesplace, 10konthebay, etc) in Sydney? and would ebay australia ever do a convention meet up like they do in the US?

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Just a question.

You ' did a friend a favour '.

What exactly were you expecting in return.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I was expecting at least $100 or so and then we could split it together. Its more the fact, that he let his dog kinda destroy the set and didnt bother to consult me on the price. But he has had other furniture sold for $1 or mostly under $20. Its a different story when its his furniture.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

@myfashionnation wrote:

I was expecting at least $100 or so and then we could split it together. Its more the fact, that he let his dog kinda destroy the set and didnt bother to consult me on the price. But he has had other furniture sold for $1 or mostly under $20. Its a different story when its his furniture.

Aaaah - sorry - but you just ' bibbled a bab full '.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Hopefully it's a good lesson learned. On your part being more thorough in the future might be a smart idea. On your friends part, well maybe he should be grateful if you keep him as a friend.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Then again, someone who pays ebay for a store to sell one item for $29.50

really doesn't know the value of money.

Just sayiin'

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply