Testing

Wondering if testing only shows those with the active virus or if it is in incubation as well.

If the latter then surely thousands would show as negative then perhaps the next day begin to show signs of it.

I'm sure there's an answer on the internet (after all there's an answer for everything on the internet Smiley Happy) but I haven't found it yet. .

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Testing

I am guessing No.

As the virus can start with a few cells in the body before they develop into more and enter the blood stream. (test being a blood test)

I think that's one of the reasons testing will only be done on people meeting certain conditions such as fever or spent time with a known infected person etc.

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Testing

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I think, for we plebs, testing is only done if there are symptoms.

Don't think there's enough testing kits to be wasting them on seemingly well people.

Politicians, celebs etc are their own species.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/professional/chief-medical-officer-update-on-coronavirus-testin

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Testing

i dont think anyone can just be tested

you have to have a good reason ie: have symptoms

i cant just pop into the emergency dept of my local hospital and demand to be tested, just in case.

so if a test is performed, because of symptoms which may or may not be the virus it will either come back positive or negative.

if its negative then at the time the test was performed there was no level of the virus in your system the test could find.

could you get the virus an hour after the test, i would think yes.

in fact you could get it within moments of the test, even from someone you meet at the testing area.

its possible, but unlikely

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Testing

davidc4430 wrote:

in fact you could get it within moments of the test, even from someone you meet at the testing area.

and It's highly probable

Fixed it.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Testing

@imastawka wrote:

Don't think there's enough testing kits to be wasting them on seemingly well people.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/professional/chief-medical-officer-update-on-coronavirus-testin

Good link, thanks Stawks.

I wasn't thinking of general testing for the public but more of those returning from international travel but from what I gather all of them are going to be quarantined regardless,   so that's pretty well covered.

All the same I think if someone has been in contact with someone who has it then they are supposed to be tested?

Or are they automatically quarantined too........ 

No matter, I'm overthinking all this.  Smiley Happy  Better get back to my disinfecting. 

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Testing

Testing :

images - 2020-03-16T104037.111.jpeg

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Testing

@bright.ton42 wrote:

I wasn't thinking of general testing for the public but more of those returning from international travel but from what I gather all of them are going to be quarantined regardless,   so that's pretty well covered.

Unless they stop along the way and what about all the ones that transport them?

All the same I think if someone has been in contact with someone who has it then they are supposed to be tested?

Told to self isolate (so quarantined).

GD is in self isolation as someone that went through the office she was cleaning has it and all possible contacts

have been told to self isolate.

No matter, I'm overthinking all this.  Smiley Happy  Better get back to my disinfecting. 

There is no need to disinfect where it can't be so no need to go overboard inside a house as it can only be

spread via close contact or from a surface touched by an infected person.good.gif

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Testing

@davidc4430 wrote:

i dont think anyone can just be tested

you have to have a good reason ie: have symptoms

i cant just pop into the emergency dept of my local hospital and demand to be tested, just in case.

so if a test is performed, because of symptoms which may or may not be the virus it will either come back positive or negative.

if its negative then at the time the test was performed there was no level of the virus in your system the test could find.

A good reason to be tested and on an ongoing basis is to give confidence to those that you may have contact with if providing services or processed goods - certified Covid-19 free 

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Testing

@bright.ton42 wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

Good link, thanks Stawks.

Many do not present with obvious symptoms - but need to be identified , treated and/or quaratined as they can spread the disease 

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply