This or that

Okay.

I'm assuming it is okay to post about the different names of everyday things. 

I couldn't remember what the Australians call a valance. It's a pelmet. I just learned that one last year. 

What else? 

Trunk-boot

cilantro-coriander

Pullover sweater- jumper? 

undershirt-vest? 

cookie-bikkie?

Do you call potato chips-crisps? 

We call rubber sandals-thongs in California. lol. Weirdly enough, we  call those string undies, thongs, too. It can get confusing. 

I once told a Scottish friend that she could borrow my thongs, if she wanted to go to the pool. She gave me a look of horror. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 1 of 238
Latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

This or that

Is a straw for your drink called a sy-phon over there? Or is my husband telling me porkies (lies)

Syphon makes a lot of sense lol

Message 31 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@am*3 wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

French fries are skinny chips as served at McDonalds. 

Mobile phone in Aus - Cell phone in US & NZ

Garbage can - rubbish bin in Aus.

French fries seem to cover all hot chips, according to the french fry manufacturers.   😄

That is the American influence, bad, bad,  bad!  Woman Tongue

French fries (American English) or frites, chips, fries, finger chips, or French-fried potatoes are batons of deep-fried potato.

In the United States and most of Canada, the term fries refers to any thin, elongated pieces of fried potatoes, while in the United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, Ireland and New Zealand, long, thinly cut elongated strips of fried potatoes are sometimes called shoestring to distinguish them from the more thickly cut strips called chips

The local French Fry factory here makes all sorts of fries, including crinkle cuts and the large chunky ones called steak fries that go to Black Stump or some other steak restaurant group.    It is probably a reflection of the company's origin and global market place.

Message 32 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Is a straw for your drink called a sy-phon over there?

It's a straw here also.

And I love a good dill pickle(not sweet) to go along with my sandwich and chips.

What's so weird about it? th_shrug.gif

Message 33 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

th (2).jpg

Message 34 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

I love Gerkins so am sure I would like  pickle.

Message 35 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@justpolls wrote:

th (2).jpg

Well, that looks yummy.  Maybe you are not nuts after all.

I am having home made pizza for dinner.  Better than  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Message 36 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Speaking of cultural misunderstandings ....... before I came to Australia  I and my twin sister were flatting in London and we made friends with  couple of Aussie guys who had moved into the flat above us. One evening one  of them knocked on our door and asked could we spare them some durex as  they'd been given some posters to stick on their wall.

Message 37 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Bangs = a fringe (I think)

Barrett = hair clip (again, I think)
Message 38 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Maybe you are not nuts after all.

Well thank you! Can I use you as a reference? lol

They call that type of sandwich a club sandwich here. It's usually a combination of turkey, ham and bacon. But homemade pizza sounds better! 

Message 39 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Several times when we were in England last year, we were given a small serve of crisps on the side when we got a sandwich in a cafe or suchlike. I was really surprised, I'd never seen it before. Didn't mind it though.
Message 40 of 238
Latest reply