This or that

Okay.

I'm assuming it is okay to post about the different names of everyday things. 

I couldn't remember what the Australians call a valance. It's a pelmet. I just learned that one last year. 

What else? 

Trunk-boot

cilantro-coriander

Pullover sweater- jumper? 

undershirt-vest? 

cookie-bikkie?

Do you call potato chips-crisps? 

We call rubber sandals-thongs in California. lol. Weirdly enough, we  call those string undies, thongs, too. It can get confusing. 

I once told a Scottish friend that she could borrow my thongs, if she wanted to go to the pool. She gave me a look of horror. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 1 of 238
Latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

This or that

@polksaladallie wrote:

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Why do you serve potato chips with sandwiches?   A bit wierd IMO.

That's only at places like Subway........upper-class joints give you a choice, fries, baked, or mashed.......

No, I've read it in novels, people eating at home, and it has been on Everybody loves Raymond a couple of times.  I assumed it was common.

I mean potato crisps, not real potato chips.  I know real chips are served with everything whether ordered or not.

I've seen heaps of people put chips in their sangas.  Not my idea of a tasty snack though.

Message 21 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

French fries are skinny chips as served at McDonalds. 

Mobile phone in Aus - Cell phone in US & NZ

Garbage can - rubbish bin in Aus.

Message 22 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@am*3 wrote:

French fries seem to cover all hot chips, according to the french fry manufacturers.   😄

Message 23 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@polksaladallie wrote:

No, I've read it in novels, people eating at home, and it has been on Everybody loves Raymond a couple of times.  I assumed it was common.

I mean potato crisps, not real potato chips.  I know real chips are served with everything whether ordered or not.

I've seen plenty of movies where they order a burger in a diner and it comes with

potato crisps.  

Lots of TV shows where they have a sandwich with crisps on the side.

Very strange indeed

Spoiler

Now a vegemite sandwich with the chips/crisps inside the sandwich?

That's yummo

Message 24 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@gleee58 wrote:

@polksaladallie wrote:

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Why do you serve potato chips with sandwiches?   A bit wierd IMO.

That's only at places like Subway........upper-class joints give you a choice, fries, baked, or mashed.......

I've seen heaps of people put chips in their sangas.  Not my idea of a tasty snack though.

Still not what I mean.  A sandwich with its own filling eg salad , egg, meat etc. and potato crisps are served on the side, not put into the sandwich.

Message 25 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@gleee58 wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

French fries seem to cover all hot chips, according to the french fry manufacturers.   😄

That is the American influence, bad, bad,  bad!  Woman Tongue

French fries (American English) or frites, chips, fries, finger chips, or French-fried potatoes are batons of deep-fried potato.

In the United States and most of Canada, the term fries refers to any thin, elongated pieces of fried potatoes, while in the United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, Ireland and New Zealand, long, thinly cut elongated strips of fried potatoes are sometimes called shoestring to distinguish them from the more thickly cut strips called chips

Message 26 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

We got gherkins ( or some other green pickle things)  on a separate dish, with a lot of meals (fast food) we ordered in  the US. They looked surprised we didn't want to eat them. Seemed a waste, they just put them on the table without asking if we wanted them.

Message 27 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Most likely were Dill Pickles.

Very popular in Europe and the US. Goes with just about anything not sweet.

Erica

Message 28 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@polksaladallie wrote:

Still not what I mean.  A sandwich with its own filling eg salad , egg, meat etc. and potato crisps are served on the side, not put into the sandwich.

That is odd.

Message 29 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

My children used to love Vegemite and potato chip sandwiches.

We cal a Doona a Duvet in NZ

Message 30 of 238
Latest reply