URGENT: Another Mechanical Question?

Mazda Eunos 1.8lt V6 - trying to undo the crank bolt - of course using ordinary socket it just spins the engine - can't get at the flywheel to wedge it - mechanic told me to use a rattle gun with the relivant shatter proof socket of course - 21mm. So bought a rattle gun and sockets.

Tried several times - it makes a noise but doesn't move the bolt.

Question: would this bolt be normal thread or reverse thread?

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Read on the net-push nylon rope down the plug hole---

make sure you can get it out again..................................................................Richo.

Message 31 of 49
Latest reply

@serendipityricho wrote:

Read on the net-push nylon rope down the plug hole---

make sure you can get it out again..................................................................Richo.

I don't understand, but that's not unusual.  What will either the screwdriver trick or the nylon rope trick establish?

Message 32 of 49
Latest reply

Rabbit--may not apply in your case--i just mentioned after

the using a screwdiver hint -that i read on the net nylon rope is the go.

Not hemp as it can flake off into the chamber...........................................Richo.

Message 33 of 49
Latest reply

@serendipityricho wrote:

Rabbit--may not apply in your case--i just mentioned after

the using a screwdiver hint -that i read on the net nylon rope is the go.

Not hemp as it can flake off into the chamber...........................................Richo.

what am I missing apart from a few brain cells? what does the test DO? what would I know after doing the test?

Message 34 of 49
Latest reply

Good luck rabbit, this is what I see when I read the thread:

paoi aer9-87450q1364tb apiuhsfap87syer q WD40 apfyi w4qghspd g screwdriver aw48u timing belt -psgaHV087 tsgbprq3t 0psd cam pa-7897awb4 ;lk;ame nn;af[udfa try -97ad- [hn523f-&hpt;4nm nvzpu8 . 

It's all very interesting though. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 35 of 49
Latest reply

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

Good luck rabbit, this is what I see when I read the thread:

paoi aer9-87450q1364tb apiuhsfap87syer q WD40 apfyi w4qghspd g screwdriver aw48u timing belt -psgaHV087 tsgbprq3t 0psd cam pa-7897awb4 ;lk;ame nn;af[udfa try -97ad- [hn523f-&hpt;4nm nvzpu8 . 

It's all very interesting though. 

that's exactly right. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Message 36 of 49
Latest reply

Hi TCM--a locktite product called-Freeze It ---beats wd40 for this application.

Rabbit---ive knocked off -its pensioners beer o clock here.............................Richo.

Message 37 of 49
Latest reply

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in one of these marketing name design meetings

freeze yer nuts off

http://www.carplan-international.com/workshop/item/102-freeze-yer-nuts-off

Start ya **bleep**

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Aerosols/Start_Ya_**bleep**_Instant_Engine_Starter/

Get yer gas ket off

http://www.carplan-international.com/workshop/item/101-get-yer-gas-kit-off

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 38 of 49
Latest reply

Hi Colic---a degreaser in the past was...Yuk Off.........................Richo.

Message 39 of 49
Latest reply

check for camshaft bearing seizure" - Right. I wouldn't have thought of that. Well, I might have, after the new belt broke.:smileyfrustrated:

Question: if the camshaft(s) bearing were seized, would the engine turn over reasonably - once the new belt is on?

Possibly if the bearing eventually spun in the turret.

Camshafts run at half crankshaft speed but they still spin pretty quick. If a bearing seized then released then it would

seize again once friction created enough heat to expand the bearing past its tolerance.

Hand turning will let you work out whether the top end is actually moving at all (you will need to manipulate both cam gears to get the cams back to TDC belt fitment point (which may not be TDC) becausee they broke at an indeterminate point then freewheeled until the inertia ran out of puff.

I would suggest plugs out and winding the motor over a couple of times after belt fitment and then recheck your timing

marks.

Once it's all up and running an oil pressure test will sort out the general condition of your pressured oil feed system (bearings)

Professionals often fire up the engine straight after belt fitment with only the absolute minimum back on to judge for a flat spot.... but you need to know exactly what you are doing

Engines (even interference engines) will often run with the belt fitted half a tooth out but they bog down upon revving especially under load or ping.

it is much more time effective to pick up the mistake before bunging 45 minutes worth of stripped bits back in and then find the acc. flat spot

water pp is the main one you need to satisfy yopur self with re condition

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 40 of 49
Latest reply