URGENT: Another Mechanical Question?

Mazda Eunos 1.8lt V6 - trying to undo the crank bolt - of course using ordinary socket it just spins the engine - can't get at the flywheel to wedge it - mechanic told me to use a rattle gun with the relivant shatter proof socket of course - 21mm. So bought a rattle gun and sockets.

Tried several times - it makes a noise but doesn't move the bolt.

Question: would this bolt be normal thread or reverse thread?

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Every crank bolt I have ever encountered was normal thead........try soaking it in WD-40 overnight.  What size pneumatic gun are you using, and what is the air pressure?

Message 2 of 49
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Every crank bolt I have ever encountered was normal thead........try soaking it in WD-40 overnight.  What size pneumatic gun are you using, and what is the air pressure?

it's only rated at 90psi - is that not big enough?

Message 3 of 49
Latest reply

Rabbit-geez here we go again .lol.

Are you working on the harmonic balancer or the back of the motor?...........Richo.

Message 4 of 49
Latest reply

99% that it would be a standard RH thread. Just check with Mazda to be certain.

A well used method to free a crankshaft bolt is  to  restrain the socket bar with the car chassis (long bar or metal tube extension) and then "blip" the starter.

If the car is on concrete you could use a socket bar restraint resting on the concrete (large block of wood)  Make sure that the bar is approximately level before blipping.

siggy dogs cats smaller.jpg

Message 5 of 49
Latest reply

Rabbit-think Johns onto it.

Make sure you disable the sparking-so the engine wont start.................Richo.

Message 6 of 49
Latest reply

"Make sure you disable the sparking-so the engine wont start.................Richo."

Whoops, I forgot that very important step. Thanks SR.

siggy dogs cats smaller.jpg

Message 7 of 49
Latest reply

@serendipityricho wrote:

Rabbit-geez here we go again .lol.

Are you working on the harmonic balancer or the back of the motor?...........Richo.

doing timing belt kit.

This is the 2nd 30x I bought mainly for spares etc. BUT .... You may recall some time ago I asked if the motor was interference or non-interference. We decided it was non-interference so there was a good chance that no damage has been done to valves etc when the belt broke.

Rather than pull the heads off, I have decided to replace timing belt and then check compression - as a way of testing whether valves are OK. If compression is OK then I will complete the install and try to start engine. If the valves are not OK then I will take the kit off and use it for my other 30x and then I will use the 2nd car for parts for the first one.

The rattle gun I have is obviously not strong enough - max torque 312nm. 

Message 8 of 49
Latest reply

@serendipityricho wrote:

Rabbit-think Johns onto it.

Make sure you disable the sparking-so the engine wont start.................Richo.

it's not going to start as timing belt is broken.

Message 9 of 49
Latest reply

Rabbit-you didnt mention that before.

Like most of your -mechanical help threads--info comes out during the thread.

Good luck fixing it.................................Richo.

Message 10 of 49
Latest reply