Wattle Birds- is there any way to shut them up?

Thought there might be some fresh ideas here, because I tell you- we're all out.

For the past 2 years we've had wattle birds waking us up at dawn, and it's peak squawking time now that spring has sprung.

It's the most annoying sound I've ever heard- beats a screaming baby by miles. At least you can attempt to DO something with a screaming baby. Nothing works on wattle birds, they just keep doing it. That noise waking you daily is a mild bform of torture.

Best method so far is the hose- I won't go through the almost-clinical trials I did last year, but I got it down to 2 hose-blasts and 15 mins. This year, I decided to be less insane and not let it bother me so much.

But, it's bothering me. The big male one started at 5.38am this morning and I know from my testing last year that it'll get earlier, and go for longer. Apart from 1) removing all trees and 2) an air rifle (am friggin' tempted)- has anyone had any success with getting rid of them? I can't be the only person copping this!

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Why do people move to places where there are native birds and then complain about the noise thye make?   ....

Message 11 of 68
Latest reply

I had hundreds of Rainbow Lorikeets visit all day yesterday.

Usually only have a dozen or so, but yesterday was amazing

Their song was lovely.

Message 12 of 68
Latest reply

Are you sure it was Rainbow Lorikeets?  They screech like mad!  My favourite morning sound is magpies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEYc8Ge3nw

Joono
Message 13 of 68
Latest reply

Yep. Rainbow Lorikeets.  Not what I call screeching -

Love Magpies absolutely

Message 14 of 68
Latest reply

The comments suggest going to Bunnings and investing in a $5 fake owl.

Message 15 of 68
Latest reply

my favourite also magpies just love them Heart

Message 16 of 68
Latest reply

That's a good idea. The wattle birds here disappear whenever the peregrine falcon drops by.

Actually, everything disappears when he drops by. I know he's here by the deafening silence in the garden. Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 68
Latest reply

All i get here is the blaardy doves--hate the same noise over and over again--..Richo.

Message 18 of 68
Latest reply

Search on ebay

100M BIRD SCARE Ultrasonic Sound Emitting Tape Deterrent Scarer pigeon bird... that looks suspiciously like barrier

tape..

Don't Search on ebay.............. dead crow bird scarer..........

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 19 of 68
Latest reply

I would LOVE to be woken by the sound of birds, instead of trams,  sirens,  police cars, ambulances, traffic racing along the highway outside.  Sometimes I hear the pigeons whose gentle coo I love.  Occasionally the magical warble of magpies.

On the other hand I can understand when all is quiet  the screeching could be irritating. 

Message 20 of 68
Latest reply