What's the purpose of marriage?

Is it just another social construct and expectation?

GO

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

dunno

its a bit irrelevant these days imo

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Assist in creating secure relationships. (An instruction book)

I think we can find that it was created to keep parents from too easily doing as they please rather than maintaining a secure environment needed for growing children.

image host
Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

I remember reading a theory somewhere that marriage was invented to protect men from the responsibility of raising someone else's kids... 

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

is there a purpose?

what can you get from a marriage you cant get anyway today?

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

@nicnacs_4u wrote:

dunno

its a bit irrelevant these days imo

I suppose it wasn't irrelevant back in the olden days.LOL

Plus changing a name by marriage would eliminated speculation if the woman had changed it by common usage or deed poll.

But in this case, the original comment was a handy benefit of my own marriage.....which was not quite back in the olden days but far back enough to make taking a husband's name more common than it might be today.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

perfect

Wedding Fail GIF by World's Funniest - Find & Share on GIPHY

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

As soon as I saw the title, I thought-another bob question.

It's about a public commitment. It's not strictly speaking necessary but it helps society run smoothly.

A lot of stuff in our society isn't strictly necessary. Funerals aren't necessary either. But they are a rite of passage, so to speak, & help with closure for the family.

Are graduation ceremonies essential? Of course not.

So why have any of these things? Because they help crystallise things.

When people commit to marry, what they are saying is they intend to set up life together & that they will both look after any children that come along.

What does it give people? It gives some sense of security for the male and female and it makes bringing up children easier. It's not that these things can't be achieved without marriage, just that it makes the process easier if there are 2 parents on hand.

People seem to need rites of passage. If you look at children, there are many ceremonies amongst various religions that signify a passage from childhood into adulthood. For the non religious, you now have those graduations. The move from one phase of life into the next. For those kids that don't have any of this, or no sense of belonging to family or community, you have gang initiations. Same sort of thing.

Marriage or commitment to relationships wouldn't be around unless it helped humans & society in some way. the fact some relationships break down doesn't change that. Often those people then move on to another committed relationship of some sort.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

Because just calling a tv show 'With Children' would be naff

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

Like that sandy

The one part about marriage was changing my surname - why should the kid's I gave birth to get dad's name - his input was, well, input.....I did the hard yards

Smiley Mad

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Surely Mr Strophik - got the odd cold in the nose - sheesh - worse than childbirth. LOL

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply