What travel agency to use to come visit you people down under?

Hi guys, I am starting the process of a trip to Oz, and wondering what a good travel agency might be. OR, is there a better way to come on over and dive your reef, and do some motorcycle travel?

OR, should I just jump in a rickity boat and float on in and cry amnesty? I don't want to stay too long, maybe a couple months at best.

You guys have an interesting visa, I forget what it is called, but rather cheap and multiple use.

What airline would you recommend?

Thanks

Dave

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

It’s a big country

7F617D38-FCFD-40EE-8540-38AF411B88B4.jpeg

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

The visa you might be thinking of is the Electronic Travel Authority for tourism obtainable for less then 90 days.

You could probably get a good deal going into one of your discount travel agents locally to get airline tickets and keep things open.

Unless they throw in a few nights stay in a package.

Then when you get here there are good backpacker hostels or inexpensive motels outside of the city areas.

Jump online to find a cheap second hand bike with registration and roadworthy near to where you might fly into.

https://www.bikesales.com.au/

Then you are set. If you are only going to be here 4-6- weeks then maybe stick to Qld and NSW.

In other words fly into Qld and bike around going up north then ride down to Sydney along the coast, sell the bike and see Sydney flying out from there. Just a suggestion.

Edit - lurker, long time. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

tell em your an expert fruit picker they'll just wave ya through.

Justing-working-2-e1458774299499.jpg

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

Thinking about the Oz TV show Border Patrol a few things come to mind.

If you have anything to declare, read the whole form carefully and do it.

Bring enough money (or prove you can access enough) to enable you to enjoy your holiday.

Make sure all the paperwork (visa, passport etc) is correct...100% correct.

Don't bring anything that even remotely suggests you might look for work (even temporary) if you do not have the right visa to do so.

If you've got friends, family etc here have their details handy.

This one is mostly for Asian visitors but you never know.....don't bring any weird food.  Quarantine might not like it.

I used to think about visiting some internet friends in the UK (just a pipe dream....it was never going to happen) and could picture myself on the UK version of Border Patrol where I'd be asked what famous places would I be visiting (ie was I a genuine tourist) and I'd say none.  My arthritis meant walking around old castles or the famous streets of London wjould be impossible. 

At that point on the program I'd be marched onto the next plane back to Oz. 🙂

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I watch those shows too, zanadoo.Smiley Happy

It has inspired me to use packing cells for most of my things. Keeps the suitcase looking very tidy.

I'd hate to have to open a suitcase on camera and have all my stuff tumble out.

Main thing I think is to read the form and declare anything you even remotely suspect might fit into their categories. That way, they can check if they wanrt to and decide. 

Basically if you try to avoid food and wood, you're pretty right.

If you have prescription medicine, keep it in its original chemist box with your name on it etc and it's worth having a letter from the doctor with a list of what medication you are on and why. I guess that really only applies if you're getting older and have quite a few medical conditions though. When we travel, my husband has almost a whole carry on full of his medications and we've never had the slightest trouble as long as customs can see it.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

If the last part about the medicines was intended for me (the OP sounds younger and fitter) its not an issue because I don't travel overseas.  I never have and now I'm so decrepit it is likely I never will.  I couldn't manage the walk from the carpark to the airport terminal these days.  I've never applied for a passport.  There was a brief time in my teens where visiting the UK was a vague possibility and I was quite enthusiastic....until I found out my parents would go (it was a once in a lifetime job offer) but we kids would stay behind in a boarding school.  As my parents often used boarding school as a threat for disobedient behaviour you can imagine how well that went down.  Anyway, in the end no one went to England.

I hope if the OP chooses a travel agent it's a good one.  That's another thing I've seen on those TV shows - travellers getting the wrong advice or filling out the wrong paperwork.

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

I talked to a tavel agent this morning. air fare is about $2k or $8k for first class. I asked if she could find me a boat trip. Seems nobody travels by boat any longer. Cruises are targeted to local areas and I haven't found any cruise ship that goes from Long Beach (los angeles) to Oz.

I wouldn't mind a cargo ship or such (see movie Fastest Indian) or even some other sailing vessel. The thought of 15 hours caged on an airplane, having to breath their farts and other expulsions, just doesn't sound fun. I went to Hawaii and the people nearby were sick, and guess what, got sick and messed up my vacation.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

If we have cruises that go to Hawaii, then why can't you join the boat for the trip back here?

There must be cruise ships leaving Hawaii for here.  Try googling it.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

i found a company who might help you

boat_minnow.jpg

looks like a well run organisation

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Coming, as a kid from the States to Oz, we took a liner to Hawaii, then a Pan-Am clipper to Sydney.  Returning, we sailed on the Oransay to San Francisco.  Those were fun days, for a 10 year-old.  Met my first girl friend on board, her name was Gail Le Bas De Plumetot, the daughter of a French consular official.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply