What would you do? Bikers vs SUV

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/30/us/new-york-bikers-road-rage-video/

The New York City Police Department said a man driving a Range Rover with his wife and 2-year-old daughter inside Sunday struck a motorcyclist on Manhattan's West Side Highway, breaking his leg.

The SUV driver pulled over, and the bikers surrounded his vehicle, hitting it and spiking the tires, police said. The driver pulled away, hitting three more bikers in the process, police said.

Should the driver in the SUV be charged?

What do you think of bikers?

What would you have done if you were the driver in the SUV?

Message 1 of 186
Latest reply
185 REPLIES 185

Re: What would you do? Bikers vs SUV

@**freethinker_bob** wrote:

@crikey*mate wrote:

The New York City Police Department said a man driving a Range Rover with his wife and 2-year-old daughter inside Sunday struck a motorcyclist on Manhattan's West Side Highway, breaking his leg.

The SUV driver pulled over, and the bikers surrounded his vehicle, hitting it and spiking the tires, police said. The driver pulled away, hitting three more bikers in the process, police said.

Should the driver in the SUV be charged? yes he should be charged for all 4. (were the other 3 injured, or just damage to their bikes?) Hopefully self defence or necessity is a defence for whatever he is charged for and the judge will take the circumstances into account though for the other 3. But the law must be applied equally, the police should not get to pick who gets charged and who doesn't. That's not their job.

Interesting answer. I like it. I guess you can argue that a couple of those riders were just innocent bystanders and they have the right to feel cheated if the driver wasn't at least charged. However, those hurt should also blame the other riders for threatening the driver of the SUV, if they haven't done that, he wouldn't have been forced to respond the way he did. 

I don't believe the driver will be charged as it does seem like self defence. 

If a gang surrounds your car, denting it and slashing the tyres, no reasonable person would stop and get out of their car. 

Bob, whether the other bikers were innocent or not is irrelevant to the question "should the man in the SUV be charged".

They are two separate issues. The bikers need to be charged for their indescressions and so does the SUV driver. Our laws do not operate on "an eye for an eye". We may be able to justify an action, but that doesn't make it legal.

If they had have murdered someone, then we could justify it for the man to murder them, but it doesn't make it legal.

Anyone who breaks the law needs to be answerable and that is not up to the police to determine.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 11 of 186
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

@crikey*mate wrote:

Should the driver in the SUV be charged? yes he should be charged for all 4. (were the other 3 injured, or just damage to their bikes?) Hopefully self defence or necessity is a defence for whatever he is charged for and the judge will take the circumstances into account though for the other 3. But the law must be applied equally, the police should not get to pick who gets charged and who doesn't. That's not their job.

Interesting answer. I like it. I guess you can argue that a couple of those riders were just innocent bystanders and they have the right to feel cheated if the driver wasn't at least charged. However, those hurt should also blame the other riders for threatening the driver of the SUV, if they haven't done that, he wouldn't have been forced to respond the way he did. 

If a gang surrounds your car, denting it and slashing the tyres, no reasonable person would stop and get out of their car. 

Bob, whether the other bikers were innocent or not is irrelevant to the question "should the man in the SUV be charged".

They are two separate issues. The bikers need to be charged for their indescressions and so does the SUV driver. Our laws do not operate on "an eye for an eye". We may be able to justify an action, but that doesn't make it legal.

If they had have murdered someone, then we could justify it for the man to murder them, but it doesn't make it legal.

Anyone who breaks the law needs to be answerable and that is not up to the police to determine.

Ummm, if it's in self defense and if you have no other option. than that actually does make it legal . 

Message 12 of 186
Latest reply

"The gang, called "Hollywood Stuntz," according to police, chased the man, and he was forced to stop because of flat tires.
The SUV driver was cornered and beaten, according to police. He was later treated at a local hospital for slashes to his face and released. His wife and child were not injured."

Message 13 of 186
Latest reply

it's then bob Robot tongue

i would die from shame if a foreigner corrected my native languages grammar/spellling

Message 14 of 186
Latest reply

The best advise is to pay attention to whats going on around you and dont attempt to intimidate or drive aggressively around a group of bikes, they are not looking to give car drivers a hard time but if given a hard time things can change real fast.

This guy had better hope and pray the ones he injured are just individual riders and not gang members.

Message 15 of 186
Latest reply

@the_hawk* wrote:

The best advise is to pay attention to whats going on around you and dont attempt to intimidate or drive aggressively around a group of bikes, they are not looking to give car drivers a hard time but if given a hard time things can change real fast.

This guy had better hope and pray the ones he injured are just individual riders and not gang members.

hawke did you even look at the video and read any articles?

the rider who stopped in front of the suv has been charged, the suv driver has not been charged.

Message 16 of 186
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

@crikey*mate wrote:

Ummm, if it's in self defense and if you have no other option. than that actually does make it legal . 

but that is for the court to decide, not the police man.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 17 of 186
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

@crikey*mate wrote:

@crikey*mate wrote:

but that is for the court to decide, not the police man.

ummmmm No, before it even gets to the court. It has to be determine if a crime has even been committed. In this case, apparently not. 

Message 18 of 186
Latest reply

If he isn't charged though, when would the court decide?
Message 19 of 186
Latest reply

@*pepe wrote:

@the_hawk* wrote:

hawke did you even look at the video and read any articles?

the rider who stopped in front of the suv has been charged, the suv driver has not been charged.

Pepe what I wrote is based on personal experience from riding in groups and knowing some riders.

I know when I am faced with a group of bikes while driving I will give them room to pass and not push any issues, that way I wont end up like that SUV driver.

It really doesnt matter what any one thinks, if you dont want to become a target dont cause a problem. 

Bikers/bikies dont go looking to cause this type of situation as its bad PR but they wont take any BS from car drivers

Message 20 of 186
Latest reply