When is a win not a win ? Nine news calls the SA election for the Liberals

Nine news has called the SA election as a " win"  for the Liberals. With counting still well underway Nines computer modelling shows the Liberals currently holding 24 seats ( a majority win) Labor 17, independants 2 and several seats still in doubt. Nick Xenophon appears to have completely missed out on winning any seats.

After 16 years of Labor government the Liberals are going to have a huge job ahead, trying to restore the budget, provide some functionality to SA's health service and get the states economy moving again. They will also need to try to clean up the mess Labor has created in electricity generation and reduce power prices ( currently some of the most expensive in the world ). The ridiculous cost of electricity has directly resulted in businesses leaving the state or closing down altogether. 

After 16 years of Labor, corruption appears to have crept into state governance, and the public service has become bloated and inept. ( around 30% larger than other states per capita ) It will be an enormous job trying to trim the fat from the PS and restore the publics faith in public office. South Australia's Jobless rate regularly tops the nation as the states economy has slowly been run into the ground and rebuiling business and employer confidence will take time. Reversing the trend of SA's young leaving the state in droves is another challenge.

Regional roads have been sadly neglected for years with many in such poor condition that the government has recently had to reduce the speed limits on many of the states main country highways as they are no longer safe to travel on at normal highway speed. Agriculture is SA's fastest growing industry and has the fastest growth rates in employment, but has been terribly neglected under Labor. Vital research facilities and the highly skilled staff that run them have been disbanded and rail and port systems starved of maintenance funds or closed altogether.

Schooling and education, often considered a Labor strong point is in a serious state of mismanagement with the state regularly featuring in the bottom of national schools testing and our age care facilities are in crisis with regular scandels of neglect and abuse of our most vulnerable under Labors care.

The Liberals may have won the election, but the state is in such a mess they may have preffered to have lost this time

Message 1 of 79
Latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

seems like they really want to point the finger at renewables causing the blackout but cant.

i'm not a scientist but i rekon when you see power towers blown over like they were made of spagetti it makes no difference how the power running through the wires on those towers is generated its going to cause a really big problem.

i think its also proof selling the power network to chinese investors was a really bad idea.

oh and when mr marshall was congratualting everyone in the room after winning the election who was almost the first one to get the hug and kiss, john olson, the guy who sold our electricity network......after telling us all he wouldnt to help win an election!

so how soon before mr marshall sells the water?

or our free air?

Message 41 of 79
Latest reply

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-28/wind-farm-settings-to-blame-for-sa-blackout-aemo-says/8389920

So the Liberals had to sell ETSA to pay for Labor nearly bankrupting the state with its $ 4000,000,000 State Bank debacle. ( yes it is a big number when you actually write it out ) For heavens sake that was nearly years ago and Labor have been in office for the last 16 years. Plenty of time in anyones language to make changes if they felt they where needed. So for the Labor Fan club to keep raising that old chestnut is a bit rich. !!!!

And so to SA,s Electricty system today.........

While the pictures of a few very large electricity poles, fallen over certianly look dramatic, it needs to be remembered that these where only for one set of lines in one isolated part of the state. It was a regional line servicing a few towns in the northern rural areas of the state. There are similar systems all over the state that where unaffected by the relaively localised storm and in normal circumstances would not send a whole state into darkness.

SA,s power generation & distribution problems are complex & technical. While I dont claim to be an energy scientist I have had some very long and in depth discussions with one of my brother in laws who is a senior energy supply engineer. He has managed power generation plants including generation & distribution systems in several states. Projects he has managed include energy and water supply on a number of remote Aboriginal communities and mine sites and he is currently employed as the chief engineer and site manager of one of SA,s largest wind farms.

He has explained the problem to me in the way I presented it on the thread. ie. That renewables produce highly intermittant generation which if unregulated, results in surges in current through the transmission wires, resulting in the tripping of what are essentually fuses. This is explained in the article you have highlighted and the article acknowledges ( in technical terms ) that this fault is what caused SA to lose all power transmission. In a normal power generation system, the controlling body ( ultimately government ) would ensure there was enough base load power through conventional coal or gas generation to provide enough underlying supply stability to even out the surges from renewables ( and regional lines being damaged by storms ). SA Labor ignored the warnings from the energy industry and its own technical advisers that SA could lose all electricity distibution if it did not keep enough base load generation in the system, ultimately blowing up one of our main generators with explosives.

You could argue that renewables did not cause the problem, the storm did. BUT if Labor had ensured there was enough BASE LOAD generation ( rather than a high level of renewables ) in the system it would have provided the grid stability to easily manage the current flutuations that resulted from a fallen regional line, tripping overload circuit breakers.

Renewables have a place to play in the power generation system and at some point in future decades, may well be the main source of energy generation. The problem is that SA under Labor rushed in too quickly with over ambitious targets for political rather than good business reasons. Labor where keen to strut the international stage as energy leaders, but its mismanagement of energy policy ultimately caused huge problems for industry and rampant price increases for domestic consumers ( and yes that includes pensioners and the unemployed who Labor is supposed to be looking after )

The technology of renewable energy is still being developed. No doubt in years to come it will be a lot more reliable and the cost of generation should fall as it becomes more widely used. As it is SA will be stuck with rapidly redundent, superseded, inefficient technology that will almost certianly need to be replaced at great expense as newer, more efficient and reliable technologies are developed.

While there is nothing wrong with engaging and experimenting with new technologies, it should be done in a considered, planned way, utilising all of the advice of industry leaders and experts. SA Labor rushed in, guns blazing, brain in neutral, no plan, no idea and totally stuffed the whole show up. And its the consumer who is now suffering under some of the highest electricity prices in the world, as a result of Labors commercial ineptitude.

Spoiler
SAME AS ALWAYS !!!

Message 42 of 79
Latest reply

well now the libs are back in charge, they can wind back the renewables and build us a few new coal fired power stations and all will be good again.

cant wait for all that cheap coal power to come online.

Message 43 of 79
Latest reply

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-28/wind-farm-settings-to-blame-for-sa-blackout-aemo-says/8389920

So the Liberals had to sell ETSA to pay for Labor nearly bankrupting the state with its $ 4000,000,000 State Bank debacle. ( yes it is a big number when you actually write it out ) For heavens sake that was nearly years ago and Labor have been in office for the last 16 years. Plenty of time in anyones language to make changes if they felt they where needed. So for the Labor Fan club to keep raising that old chestnut is a bit rich. !!!!

While the pictures of a few very large electricity poles, fallen over certianly look dramatic, it needs to be remembered that these where only for one set of lines in one isolated part of the state. It was a regional line servicing a few towns in the northern rural areas of the state. There are similar systems all over the state that where unaffected by the relaively localised storm and in normal circumstances would not send a whole state into darkness.

SA,s power generation & distribution problems are complex & technical. While I dont claim to be an energy scientist I have had some very long and in depth discussions with one of my brother in laws who is a senior energy supply engineer. He has managed power generation plants including generation & distribution systems in several states. Projects he has managed include energy and water supply on a number of remote Aboriginal communities and mine sites and he is currently employed as the chief engineer and site manager of one of SA,s largest wind farms.

He has explained the problem to me in the way I presented it on the thread. ie. That renewables produce highly intermittant generation which if unregulated, results in surges in current through the transmission wires, resulting in the tripping of what are essentually fuses. This is explained in the article you have highlighted and the article acknowledges ( in technical terms ) that this fault is what caused SA to lose all power transmission. In a normal power generation system, the controlling body ( ultimately government ) would ensure there was enough base load power through conventional coal or gas generation to provide enough underlying supply stability to even out the surges from renewables ( and regional lines being damaged by storms ). SA Labor ignored the warnings from the energy industry and its own technical advisers that SA could lose all electricity distibution if it did not keep enough base load generation in the system, ultimately blowing up one of our main generators with explosives.

You could argue that renewables did not cause the problem, the storm did. BUT if Labor had ensured there was enough BASE LOAD generation ( rather than a high level of renewables ) in the system it would have provided the grid stability to easily manage the current flutuations that resulted from a fallen regional line, tripping overload circuit breakers.

Renewables have a place to play in the power generation system and at some point in future decades, may well be the main source of energy generation. The problem is that SA under Labor rushed in too quickly with over ambitious targets for political rather than good business reasons. Labor where keen to strut the international stage as energy leaders, but its mismanagement of energy policy ultimately caused huge problems for industry and rampant price increases for domestic consumers ( and yes that includes pensioners and the unemployed who Labor is supposed to be looking after )

The technology of renewable energy is still being developed. No doubt in years to come it will be a lot more reliable and the cost of generation should fall as it becomes more widely used. As it is SA will be stuck with rapidly redundent, superseded, inefficient technology that will almost certianly need to be replaced at great expense as newer, more efficient and reliable technologies are developed.

While there is nothing wrong with engaging and experimenting with new technologies, it should be done in a considered, planned way, utilising all of the advice of industry leaders and experts. SA Labor rushed in, guns blazing, brain in neutral, no plan, no idea and totally stuffed the whole show up. And its the consumer who is now suffering under some of the highest electricity prices in the world, as a result of Labors commercial ineptitude.

Spoiler
SAME AS ALWAYS !!!

Good grief Chameleon, who researches and writes all this information for you ?. Not a political researcher I hope, there seems to heaps of "opinion" and political views expressed for a member who once claiimed he was not a member of any political party.

Message 44 of 79
Latest reply

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

Spoiler
SAME AS ALWAYS !!!

Good grief Chameleon, who researches and writes all this information for you ?. Not a political researcher I hope, there seems to heaps of "opinion" and political views expressed for a member who once claiimed he was not a member of any political party.

OK. TEZZA ........I ADMIT IT ........YOU GOT ME THERE ..................

Yes its true, ...............I did employ a full time researcher to write my ebay forum posts for awhile, but had to sack them because they where not exteme enough.......Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler
It might suprise you to learn that some of us try to stay informed, do our best to actually understand the issues and make our own minds up about things, rather than just saying and thinking what we are told to think

And just for the record, I have never been and still are not a member of any political party. ( frankly I wouldnt waste my money on any of them.....Smiley Tongue    )

Message 45 of 79
Latest reply

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

Yes its true, ...............I did employ a full time researcher to write my ebay forum posts for awhile, but had to sack them because they where not exteme enough.......Smiley Very Happy

It might suprise you to learn that some of us try to stay informed, do our best to actually understand the issues and make our own minds up about things, rather than just saying and thinking what we are told to think

And just for the record, I have never been and still are not a member of any political party. ( frankly I wouldnt waste my money on any of them.....Smiley Tongue    )

Like the bit about “some of us”. Does that mean the thoughts you express are not necessarily yours alone and perhaps some sort of “ a thought group of like minded conservatives Liberal thinkers” who believe that any one who does not support or agree with their views, opinions and policies are not free thinking people like yourselves but are manipulated by others eg political parties or individuals who your group don’t like or think should not exist

Message 46 of 79
Latest reply

OK now we have cleared that up, I will try to give you a sensible answer as to what I really think of Labor and the unions, political personalities aside ( Cos you already know what I think of the current batch of Laborites )

UNIONS - Historically they originally came to prominance early in the industrial revolution. Large businesses owned by greedy bosses where mechanising factories and exploiting the poor to run the machines. These " slaves "  where working extreme hours, seven days a week for incredibly poor wages. Children of the poor where also often exploited in this way in the work houses. The unions served an invaluable role in organising the workers to strike for improved wages & conditions, helping to restore at least a small amount of balance back to the system.

Fast forward two hundred years and things have improved dramatically for workers, again largely due to the activities of unions. There are still workers now, often the most poorly paid and vulnerable who are being exploited by business owners through underpayment, fractured working hours and poor health & safety measures & conditions who rely on unions to represent their interests and try to restore some fairness in their employment. Some of the workers that spring to mind include hospitality, cleaners and my own industry agriculture where fruit & veg pickers are often exploited.

So unions still have a vital role to play in modern society.

Thats the plusses, now for the problems......

Unfortunately many unions have become corrupted in the same way politicians become corrupted. They get their snouts in the trough and forget all about the little guys they are supposed to represent. Backhanders, brown envelopes or just the union expenses credit card, corruption runs deep in many modern Australian unions. ( and I will beat you to it, yes corruption is just as bad in coporate Australia ). This often means workers interests are often forgotten in the political horse trading with union power and personal power and gain often more important than the business of ensuring fair working conditions for employees. I would stress there are still some unions who do a very good job of assisting the little guys, so I,m not generalising about every single union here.

The second problem with unions is that in many instances they have actually been too succesfull. They have won such extreme wages and conditions for their employees that they have simply priced Australian workers out of the global market. A classic example of this is Holdens, where low skilled assembly line workers where costing the company over $100K each per year. RESULT the company simply shut up shop and moved production somewhere else. Australias public service union is another that has managed to extract wages and conditions from government that are out of kilter with what the average non government worker earns. This is unsustainable in the long term and has resulted in too few employees at the coal face in offices such as centrelink and family services resulting in clients waiting hours on the phone and vulnerable at risk children slipping through the gaps. 

Next we come to the Labor party which has become a direct extension of the union movement. In the past Labor drew candidates from a number of areas including highly educated and intelligent university proffesionals and other members of the intelligencia along with its union mates. This meant there where a few brains in the party who could come up with well thought out informed policies. Unfortunately the party has been completely taken over by the boof heads from the union movement to the exclusion of all others. Union reps are by nature philisophically opposed to business and all that it stands for. This means that Labor is filled with people who have no experience at all of running business and are financial niave in that they have always fought for more money for less work.

Unfortunately running the country is very much like running a business. The books need to balance and things need to be run in an efficient way. All concepts which are at odds with union thought. The result is Labors inexperience with actually planning long term investment and bringing commercial projects to fruition means most things they try to do end up a horrible mess. Classic recent examples are school halls, pink batts and SA,s electricity mess. Its just stating the obvious to say that Union reps may be great at badgering fat cat company bosses, but they simply dont have the skill set  to run a country. The answer is for Labor to open up its doors to a wider range of delegates and allow the grass roots members to have a say in pre-selections. If they can attract a wider range of people with broader skills into the party they may have a chance of being more effective in government.

Message 47 of 79
Latest reply

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@tezza2844wrote:

Like the bit about “some of us”. Does that mean the thoughts you express are not necessarily yours alone and perhaps some sort of “ a thought group of like minded conservatives Liberal thinkers” who believe that any one who does not support or agree with their views, opinions and policies are not free thinking people like yourselves but are manipulated by others eg political parties or individuals who your group don’t like or think should not exist

Sorry to dissapoint you tezza, but there are no conspiracy theory groups here. I dont belong to any groups, I dont communicate with any "like minded people" ( Whoever they are ...Smiley Very Happy  )  and definately not involved with any shiny shoe Liberals or their supporters. Frankly, I,m with you in thinking it would probably be a pretty boring party.

I,m not sure why you think my posts are the work of proffesional writers or groups, but I will take it as backhanded compliment.....Smiley Tongue

I work fairly long hours and take on more than usual household and "soccor mum" duties as my wife is blind. Everything else aside, I havnt got time to sit around chatting to a mob of political wing nuts.

Its true that some years ago I was heavily involved in community leadership work and was asked by the Liberals to join , with a view to possibly going further in the party. I declined the request for several reasons. The first being I wished to remain apolitical in the community work I was doing, Second I didnt want to sell out my personal integrity by spouting the party line if I didnt believe in it. ( cue thought of Penny Wong opposing Gay Marriage when Labor stance was to oppose it......Genuine sympathy coz that must have really hurt...Smiley Sad  ) and third, frankly I just didnt want to be part of a party that screws vulnerable people into the ground. You might find it hard to believe but theres still a bit of lefty left in me.

Message 48 of 79
Latest reply

@chameleon54wrote:

Now thats what I call venting your spleen. I would love to answer every point you make , but I plan to go away for Easter and don't have time to set up a commitee of like minded socialist tree hugging latte and chardonay sippers unionist leftist anti-business welfare bludging and any other group that upsets you, so I just address a few:

Unfortunately many unions have become corrupted in the same way politicians become corrupted. They get their snouts in the trough and forget all about the little guys they are supposed to represent. Backhanders, brown envelopes or just the union expenses credit card, corruption runs deep in many modern Australian unions. ( and I will beat you to it, yes corruption is just as bad in coporate Australia ). This often means workers interests are often forgotten in the political horse trading with union power and personal power and gain often more important than the business of ensuring fair working conditions for employees. I would stress there are still some unions who do a very good job of assisting the little guys, so I,m not generalising about every single union here.

Sometimes it is hard  to distinguish between Union , Political and Business practices, or who is really on whose side. I do accept that Union Officials, Politician and Business Leaders who don’t know their responsibilities or who they should  be accountable to.

eg  Kathy Jackson and Peter Reith at a HR Nicols  Society dinner where she made a speech critical of the union movement

JackoReith.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22egcUFTJo

https://www.smh.com.au/national/health-services-union-former-leader-kathy-jackson-ordered-to-repay-1...

The second problem with unions is that in many instances they have actually been too succesfull. They have won such extreme wages and conditions for their employees that they have simply priced Australian workers out of the global market. A classic example of this is Holdens, where low skilled assembly line workers where costing the company over $100K each per year. RESULT the company simply shut up shop and moved production somewhere else. Australian public service union is another that has managed to extract wages and conditions from government that are out of kilter with what the average non government worker earns. This is unsustainable in the long term and has resulted in too few employees at the coal face in offices such as centrelink and family services resulting in clients waiting hours on the phone and vulnerable at risk children slipping through the gaps. 

+Most of this income actual came from overtime when the companies found out it was cheaper in the long run to pay overtime rather put on more employees especially in a fluctuating market. It’s true the large companies enjoyed  Government subsidy but the overall picture was that these companies relied on a large network of supplies and created a large employment field . Whereas the Federal Government overlooked this in withdrawing these subsidies in the car industry, it is now pushing this very fact in  its support of the Adani Carmichael Coal Mine in Qld.

+The vast majority of (Federal Public Service) workers are employed on award wages whish determined by the very much politicized Fairwork Commission. At  the moment as you undoubtly aware some of these employees have not had a pay increase for many years and those who have the increase is below the CPI. The award wages are not out of kilter with non Government works as these award wages are seen as the standard wages for  the private. True, there are overpaid staff, mostly those on contracted agreements (which usually have no or very few entitlements when they expire) . But these out of wack salaries are not restricted to the Public Service. Nepotism is ripe in both areas more so in the private sector. As for the waiting times  in Centre link you can blame the current Government(LNP) for this for mad rush to reduce PS numbers without any thought than to save money

Next we come to the Labor party which has become a direct extension of the union movement. In the past Labor drew candidates from a number of areas including highly educated and intelligent university professionals and other members of the intelligence along with its union mates. This meant there where a few brains in the party who could come up with well thought out informed policies. Unfortunately the party has been completely taken over by the boof heads from the union movement to the exclusion of all others. Union reps are by nature philisophically opposed to business and all that it stands for. This means that Labor is filled with people who have no experience at all of running business and are financial niave in that they have always fought for more money for less work.

+Much the same can be said for the privation section with its obsession with profits and massive salaries for their CEOs and higher echelon staff, as well as successful tax avoidances schemes which cost everyone (probablely yourself as well).

Unfortunately running the country is very much like running a business. The books need to balance and things need to be run in an efficient way. All concepts which are at odds with union thought. The result is Labors inexperience with actually planning long term investment and bringing commercial projects to fruition means most things they try to do end up a horrible mess. Classic recent examples are school halls, pink batts and SA,s electricity mess. Its just stating the obvious to say that Union reps may be great at badgering fat cat company bosses, but they simply dont have the skill set  to run a country. The answer is for Labor to open up its doors to a wider range of delegates and allow the grass roots members to have a say in pre-selections. If they can attract a wider range of people with broader skills into the party they may have a chance of being more effective in government.

+Running a country is nowhere like running a business. Running a business is about making a profit for the shareholders and providing a reasonable income/salary/wage for their employees.  If a Government aims a returning a surplus with every budget, then since they raise their money from taxes then we are being grossly over taxed and some parts of the community are not paying their fair share ot Tax.

Message 49 of 79
Latest reply