cats and soap

Today i noticed one of the cats eats soap. not content with soap he eats toothpaste as well..   i haven't had a cat do this before , is it unusual ?

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: cats and soap

@izabsmiling wrote:

I'd say that your cat has been really naughty and is feeling guilty and ashamed...he is trying to remove all evidence of his bad behaviour from his mouth and teeth.The soap didn't taste so good so he then went for the toothpaste.

Check your slippers?

something i have yet to own Iza .. slippers. ' neither a croc or a slipper wearer be ' said my late father .. not realising he was in fact a prophet as crocs didn;t appear until at least 25 yrs after he had passed. Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 47
Latest reply

I'd say you have one lucky cat there, Lakes

easter bunny 2.jpg

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 32 of 47
Latest reply

it has some serious potential outcomes crikey .  i was once at a friends house who between them owned 10 or 18 cats (depending on who was asking ) anyway the cats seemed to be having some sort of domestic .. one climbed quietly on to my lap and then launched its 30 kilo (i have no idea but it was well fed and big ) carcass from my lap using all of its claws for a quick take -off ,   some really nasty lacerations from that .Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 47
Latest reply

The next time you visited, did you wear armour?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 34 of 47
Latest reply

Just reading your post and your cat probably has PICA..Its a condition found also in humans and animals including cats & dog's..It usually is commenced if your pet is lacking some form of nutrients in the diet and can be a compulsive behaviour also..You have probably heard stories of dogs eating unusual things like pebbles ect and that is discovered usually when the animal ends up at the vet due to the obstruction..

Message 35 of 47
Latest reply

i was more careful after that incident .. and they had arranged the house in a way that seemed to ease territorial tensions . it was a large house. Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 47
Latest reply

@jenni200011 wrote:

Just reading your post and your cat probably has PICA..Its a condition found also in humans and animals including cats & dog's..It usually is commenced if your pet is lacking some form of nutrients in the diet and can be a compulsive behaviour also..You have probably heard stories of dogs eating unusual things like pebbles ect and that is discovered usually when the animal ends up at the vet due to the obstruction..

thanks for that . i will take him down to the vet then i guess Smiley Happy i had a notion it was indicative of something being not as it should be.

Message 37 of 47
Latest reply

Yes and  your vet will discuss feeding & diet options with you... Also   in the meantime try to distract your cat from getting access to the unusual  things it is eating ( in this case toothpaste .&.soap ect) as pica can become  habit forming.... 

Message 38 of 47
Latest reply

yes i put it where he can't access either.  he seems fine at the moment, but i'll take them both for a visit. Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 47
Latest reply

Good luck with it all...Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 47
Latest reply