cooking 2 chooks

Hey, for the first time in my life, I won a chook raffle yesterday.

Two chooks.

Now, I have never cooked a chook. Yes, I know! Pathetic isn't it?

I have put them in oven bags and it says 200degrees. 25 minutes for each 500g. I weighed them together - 2kg so according to the directions, that's 25minutes X 4, is that right?

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

cooking 2 chooks

Make sure you check inside the chooks before cooking and remove any lurking giblet bags. 😉

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/can-eat-chicken-its-cooked-giblet-bag-it-22113.html

Message 11 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:
Oh, and re the time, I would put them on at 200 degrees for 50 minutes and then just check them- they may need longer..depending on what kind of oven, and whether you've got stuffing in them.. mmm now I want roast chicken for dinner! What a good raffle prize.

Yes, it's the first time I have won anything.

I arrived at the club just as they were closing off entries, so I bought $5 tickets. I went up to the kitchen to order lunch - chicken - half way through the woman said, better check your tickets - I did - as they said over the PA - last call for ticket number xxxx - I was astounded when it was my number. Have bought tickets in things for YEARS and never won anything.

Two chooks and some veges in a tray. 

Message 12 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

ohh richo- thats why you always check the inside and put stuffing or an onion in.

Shh-didnt want to confuse rabbit, though..Hes a newbie as the chook chef. Woman Happy

PS rabbit, if you DO find a bag of 'miscellaneous'  bits just put it in the bin..its the neck and other gruesome (for some) stuff...

Message 13 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Ooops, I meant be sure to cook some vegetables with the chooks and to eat with them (if the container is big enough to roast everything), or steam some.  

Sounds like you are about to have a magnificent dinner.

What's for dessert? 

Message 14 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:
Oh, and re the time, I would put them on at 200 degrees for 50 minutes and then just check them- they may need longer..depending on what kind of oven, and whether you've got stuffing in them.. mmm now I want roast chicken for dinner! What a good raffle prize.

well, come on over - we'll never eat 2 chooks. You'll have to fight the dogs though.

Message 15 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

When I was working and just to tired to stuff a chook, I did the lemon, onion herb thing, It was great.

Dont over cook the chook but dont under cook it as bad tummy ache.

When you think it is cooked stick a fork in the chook to make sure no blood coming out.

Tie the chooks legs and wings to the body of the chook to make sure cooks at same rate.

Message 16 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@tasfleur wrote:

Ooops, I meant be sure to cook some vegetables with the chooks and to eat with them (if the container is big enough to roast everything), or steam some.  

Sounds like you are about to have a magnificent dinner.

What's for dessert? 

chook with custard,

breakfast tomoorow - chook on toast, lunch tomorrow - chook sangas.

Yes, I will nuke some potatoes, and mixed veges.

Message 17 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@lionrose.7 wrote:

When I was working and just to tired to stuff a chook, I did the lemon, onion herb thing, It was great.

Dont over cook the chook but dont under cook it as bad tummy ache.

When you think it is cooked stick a fork in the chook to make sure no blood coming out.

Tie the chooks legs and wings to the body of the chook to make sure cooks at same rate.

it was already tied with elastic bands - Yes, I took them off, but I didn't think to tie them again. Ah well. We'll see how it comes out I suppose. If I am not on here tomorrow, you'll know it didn't work out too well and everyone is on the loo.

Message 18 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

When i won that turkey at the footy club years ago--all the ladies

there at the time would have known what would happen-but didnt

give me the tip off re the mystery bag.

Benji ..the wonder dog dined on it for a week-knew when he had finished-

found the plastic bag------minus the neck and other stuffSmiley LOL...........................Richo.

Message 19 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@serendipityricho wrote:

Rabbit-lucky it was a chook raffle--i won a very large turkey.

Put it in a pan and pulled all the shelves from the oven.

After a while-smelt like  burning tyres--checked outside.

Worked out -there was a heavy duty plastic bag inside the turkey

with the neck and other useless left overs --mumble ..mumble ..........Richo.

how did the 'tyres' taste?

Message 20 of 52
Latest reply