cooking 2 chooks

Hey, for the first time in my life, I won a chook raffle yesterday.

Two chooks.

Now, I have never cooked a chook. Yes, I know! Pathetic isn't it?

I have put them in oven bags and it says 200degrees. 25 minutes for each 500g. I weighed them together - 2kg so according to the directions, that's 25minutes X 4, is that right?

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

cooking 2 chooks

To check if your chickens are ready, get a skewer and stick it in the chicken.  The bit just behind the leg is the best spot.

If the juice is bloody it's not ready yet so give it a bit longer. The juice should be clear.  I'd rather eat a slightly overcooked chicken than get E.coli or food poisoning from an undercooked one.

Joono
Message 21 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@rabbitearbandicoot wrote:

@lionrose.7 wrote:

When I was working and just to tired to stuff a chook, I did the lemon, onion herb thing, It was great.

Dont over cook the chook but dont under cook it as bad tummy ache.

When you think it is cooked stick a fork in the chook to make sure no blood coming out.

Tie the chooks legs and wings to the body of the chook to make sure cooks at same rate.

it was already tied with elastic bands - Yes, I took them off, but I didn't think to tie them again. Ah well. We'll see how it comes out I suppose. If I am not on here tomorrow, you'll know it didn't work out too well and everyone is on the loo.

rabbit, good thing you didnt put the elastic bands back on, usually you use a bit of string, or thread to truss..I think putting them in the oven bags will help keep the chicken from splaying..which can cause uneven cooking.

so, um, whats your address? lol

Hope its delicious...and dont forget you can make chcken stock from the carcass..and freeze it to use later.

Message 22 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Chook with custard ... separately I hope ....  Smiley Very Happy

Yum, chicken and vegetables, very nice, enjoy it all xx

Message 23 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

OK, thanks all.

I just checked it and it's browning nicely. I had a look near the legs and it looks a little pink still, so I'll give it another 10 minutes.

Message 24 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Yum.  Nothing beats home made chicken stock from the left over carcass.

Joono
Message 25 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@j*oono wrote:

Yum.  Nothing beats home made chicken stock from the left over carcass.

there's a heap of 'water' in the bottom of the tray, even though I had them in bags. Is that what you make the stock out of? I might just use that instead of water in my gravox powder.

Message 26 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

You use the left over carcass to make a stock with. Now, what time did you say dinner is?

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 27 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

All you need is the chicken bones and any unused leftovers and a saucepan of water.  Throw in an onion and celery and a couple of carrots. Bring it all to the boil and then simmer it on low for a couple of hours.

Add a chicken stock cube for extra flavour if needed.

Joono
Message 28 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

it's funny. I seem to remember things after someone tells me - like stock, now I remember nan used to boil up the bones for soup bases etc. Mum didn't cook much as Dad was a chef - not that I remember him doing much cooking at home?

Message 29 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Yep, you can use that to make gravy-, just put it on over a flame and put some plain flour, and mix to cook the raw flour taste..add s & p

you dont even need gravox!

For the stock- Use the carcass after youve stripped it of all the chicken, put it in a big pot, cover with water and boil it for 30 mins or so.

Does it smell great???

I think we all wish we were there! Woman LOL

Message 30 of 52
Latest reply