feral antivirus

Couple of weeks ago I lost my hard drive.  The guy that put in the new one also installed Bitdefender, which refused to let me re-install my photo program.  I clicked on ALLOW and it said NO.  However it looked like the program was installed fine, until Saturday when I took heaps of pics to do some listings only to find that I can do everything I want with my photos except to save the changes. Grrrrrrrr.   In the end I managed to crop and resize the photos in paint, but I want back my program that I paid for, and which is quick and easy to use.  What took me hours would have been done in 20minutes.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I do not want antivirus that will prevent me installing programs I want. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

feral antivirus

I wouldn't get rid of it, I'd just disable it. No one single virus scanner can detect everything, so it's handy to have a few installed. Only have one as active though. You can use Bitdefender to run a manual scan a few of times a year. I recommend installing Avast. It's free and does a good job. You can get a paid version that has extra features but I've never had any issues with the free version.

I would also install the one that Stawka mentioned. It's also a very good one and free. Disable it and use it to run manual scans a few times a year. I also recommend Malwarebytes Antimalware. It's a free malware program and one of the best, if not the best, program of its kind. It finds and removes the trash that the virus scanners don't remove. It is updated very regularly. I run it once a month and update before every scan. It's also free to install and use.

I don't recommend Norton or McAfee. While they are both excellent programs, they are the 2 most commonly used scanners, so the virus creators create their viruses to be undetected by them, even when patches are created.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

feral antivirus

i use norton antivirus, buy it off ebay, disc and key cost about $15 a year. havent had any problems with viruses while using it.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

feral antivirus

I hate that sort of **bleep**.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and it's take me ages to adust and learn the changes, including how to edit  pics. Took me ages to figure out  where it would just be easy peasy on the old edition that I'm used to.

Recently installed a new printer, too, which created more headaches.

Sorry I can't help you with your problem, Nova, just came in to commiserate.

It'll all be sorted out eventually, I'm sure.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

feral antivirus

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I have two.     Malwarebytes and Avira

Dunno how much they cost, but I'm sure Mr. Google can tell you

Computer emits a siren if I click on something I shouldn't . Then I close the tab quickly

No virus so far.  

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

feral antivirus

@imastawka wrote:

Computer emits a siren if I click on something I shouldn't . Then I close the tab quickly

are you sure thats not your mum?

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

feral antivirus

Gawd, I hope not...................she'd be 108 yo

Otherwise..................who did we bury?    thinking.gif

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

feral antivirus

have any nosey neighbours suddenly go missing?

bad ebay customers?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

feral antivirus

I wouldn't get rid of it, I'd just disable it. No one single virus scanner can detect everything, so it's handy to have a few installed. Only have one as active though. You can use Bitdefender to run a manual scan a few of times a year. I recommend installing Avast. It's free and does a good job. You can get a paid version that has extra features but I've never had any issues with the free version.

I would also install the one that Stawka mentioned. It's also a very good one and free. Disable it and use it to run manual scans a few times a year. I also recommend Malwarebytes Antimalware. It's a free malware program and one of the best, if not the best, program of its kind. It finds and removes the trash that the virus scanners don't remove. It is updated very regularly. I run it once a month and update before every scan. It's also free to install and use.

I don't recommend Norton or McAfee. While they are both excellent programs, they are the 2 most commonly used scanners, so the virus creators create their viruses to be undetected by them, even when patches are created.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

feral antivirus

I use AVG, which is free for the basic version, simply download it.  But before that, I'd send your current antivirus to the recycle bin.

http://www.avg.com/ppc/ww-en/protection-offer-comparison-30?ECID=ad:go:se:US-EN-XSite-Brand-Free-Sea...

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

feral antivirus

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I have had problems with both in the past.  Lately I used Essentials until I got Windows 10 and then new microsoft antivirus that came with the 10.  But apparently the Bitdefender is better.  I was also told that the AVG is not as good as it used to be.  Over the years I used whatever my now ex- SIL told me to (he has an international software company), but now I need to fend for myself ,

Thanks evrybody for the advice  :). 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply