foxy visitor

fox.jpgBeen living here now for 42 odd years, and my usual ritual in the morning is having a cuppa whilst looking out the back window when I  saw something move and suddenly there it was a fox...a very well fed one 

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

foxy visitor

There's no shortage of foxes in Melbourne and environs, that's for sure.

I've seen them on St Kilda Rd in Sth Melbourne, near Brighton and just past Frankston in Somerville.  Also near Hastings.

Vic must be full of them more than ever as they are so bold and easy to see.

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

Well you don't see many foxes around here, either,cityside. It must have been quite a surprise, Nicbuddy.

Often see them as roadkill when I drive out to country areas, tho'.

What do we do with these creatures? We know they're harmful to the indiginent species, yet it's sad to see them starve away.

What a conundrum.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I've seen them on St Kilda Rd in Sth Melbourne, near Brighton and just past Frankston in Somerville.  Also near Hastings.

I,m in the hills near Adelaide and when I moved to the area foxes where in plague proportions. Most of the farmers here have cattle, and most of my neighbours are hobby farmers so no one had done anything about controlling the foxes for years. The first season of lambing I lost nearly 50% of my lambs to foxes.

I began a concerted twelve month control programme on a number of properties within a 5 km. radius and accounted for over 400 in the first year. That is a LOT of foxes. Fox numbers crashed after that and now it is just a maintenance program. I have a proffesional shooter who visits the properties monthly and whistles the foxes to him. Last year he shot 34 foxes on my 100 acre property and similar numbers on the other properties I lease close by. All up around 150 foxes over a 5 km. area. That is still a few, but at least they leave the lambs alone now, as there is probably plenty of other food sources for them, such as the hobby farmers rubbish bins and chooks.

The neighbours are pleased that some-one has done something to control them as they where causing a lot of problems for the hobby farmers, but they did not have the means to control them.

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

a fox family in their natural habitat

Fantastic-Mr-Fox-02.jpg

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

@imastawka wrote:

That pic took forever to load.  

Next time, can you add a pic this way, instead of using the attachments?

add photo.jpg

been having issues with my computer Stawka as I did use that icon..sorry that it took you so long.

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

@domino-710 wrote:

Geez Nic,

Thought this was another invite to Melbourne.

Foxy as all get out.

Happy you & yours are doing well.

Hi there lovely lady H..I wish but George`s has gone and I think maybe the catchups people don`t have time/or want to do anymore?Happy to do organise one if ppl want it

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

Stawks was posting for Chameleon, not you nics. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

@chameleon54 wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I,m in the hills near Adelaide and when I moved to the area foxes where in plague proportions. Most of the farmers here have cattle, and most of my neighbours are hobby farmers so no one had done anything about controlling the foxes for years. The first season of lambing I lost nearly 50% of my lambs to foxes.

I began a concerted twelve month control programme on a number of properties within a 5 km. radius and accounted for over 400 in the first year. That is a LOT of foxes. Fox numbers crashed after that and now it is just a maintenance program. I have a proffesional shooter who visits the properties monthly and whistles the foxes to him. Last year he shot 34 foxes on my 100 acre property and similar numbers on the other properties I lease close by. All up around 150 foxes over a 5 km. area. That is still a few, but at least they leave the lambs alone now, as there is probably plenty of other food sources for them, such as the hobby farmers rubbish bins and chooks.

The neighbours are pleased that some-one has done something to control them as they where causing a lot of problems for the hobby farmers, but they did not have the means to control them.

My daughter`s husband`s family have  beef cattle and yes they & other creatures are certainly not welcome on their farm or adjoining properties that have sheep.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

The Hollies & Peter Sellers - After the fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg9vkRbFLQ

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

foxy visitor

Kopes is right, Nics.  I was posting to Chameleon, not you.

Foxes around here (still suburban Melbourne) get poisoned culled.

We get notifications in the letterbox to keep pets indooors for the next day or so.

Hasn't happened for a few years, and I haven't sen any foxes for about that long anyway.

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply