learning to drive

esayaf
Community Member
Why do successive state governments continue to ignore the blatantly obvious fact that while parents with.poor driving skills continue to "educate" their children on how to drive.
Any other position held by a person that teaches someone how to do something requires a formal qualification.
Then to cap it off the testing to achieve one's licence is way too inadequate.
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

learning to drive

@esayaf wrote:
Why do successive state governments continue to ignore the blatantly obvious fact that while parents with.poor driving skills continue to "educate" their children on how to drive.
Any other position held by a person that teaches someone how to do something requires a formal qualification.
Then to cap it off the testing to achieve one's licence is way too inadequate.

I don't agree that parents have poor driving skills. True, some do but there are some very good drivers in the parent category.

I think it's lunacy that people are allowed to do their driving knowledge test in any language other than Enlish. Also it is lunacy that a certain quota of drivers who are perhaps borderline are given a pass.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

learning to drive

How is driving in English different from driving in Italian?  Apart from the hand gestures that is.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

learning to drive

@lurker172602 wrote:

How is driving in English different from driving in Italian?  Apart from the hand gestures that is.

I think the knowledge test is different. After a new arrival fails to squeeze up your exhaust pipe and you pull over to exchange details how do you explain that he or she must produce a licence? When two lanes merge how does a new arrival know who must yield?

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

learning to drive

hi esayaf

I think most parents teach their kids the basics and help them get up the hours, then top it off with professional driving lessons. A lot of the recent accidents have been due to inexperience and some of the young people were alcohol and drug affected. That is a big worry

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

learning to drive

I agree that anyone who has not held a license

In the past should be required to take the test in English.

Unless you have a basic knowledge of a language,

How could you possibly know what the many different 

Roads signs not mentioned in the learners manual

Are advising. In the case of someone previously having

An international drivers licence, they have previous 

driving experience and have knowledge of the finer

Details of driving.

If you do not speak English and take the test, then

You could not possibly be aware of factors involving

Coutesy , response and overting accidents etc

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

learning to drive

@lurker172602 wrote:

they're talking about the knowledge (theory)

test not driving (practical)

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

learning to drive

The OP wasn't 

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

learning to drive

I don't agree that parents have poor driving skills. True, some do but there are some very good drivers in the parent category.

yes and learning how to drive

usually involves both parents and

qualified instructors. 

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

learning to drive

@lurker172602 wrote:

The OP wasn't 

i thought you were replying to 

village person who mentioned the

english language test. 

Message 10 of 19