And be nice 

See how long that lasts

Can we keep politics and religion out 

Of the conversation 

Message 1 of 12,453
Latest reply
12,452 REPLIES 12,452

Re: the nothing ,anything ,everything thread

Paint is good, too, and the best thing is that if you get tired of the colour, you can always paint over it, ha ha.

Message 2071 of 12,453
Latest reply

Magpie (Goose) swooping season (Canada).

134ida.jpg

LOL.

🙂

Message 2072 of 12,453
Latest reply

Between Mother magpie walking over the food as though she was ruining a $900 pair of shoes while crossing a muddy paddock, and Nuts the possum, craning his neck reaching from the fruit on one side of the table to the seed, on the other, all the while refusing to get off the ramp (But the macaroni's in the way!) I'm fast coming to the conclusion that I'm going to have to change the way that the food's laid out.

Obviously my catering isn't catering to my clientele, ha ha. Oh no, I'll never get a Michelin star at this rate, qu'elle horreur! Ha ha.

The wattlebirds bathed in tandem, thankfully that meant one bird for each bird bath. Could've been chaotic, otherwise, ha ha.

One of them left a pattern of dust in the bottom of the bird bath that looked just like the sand does, in shallow sea water.

Left, because about the time that I noticed it and thought it was an interesting pattern, I was already emptying the bird bath.

It was impressive, for that brief moment, ha ha.

🙂

Message 2073 of 12,453
Latest reply

Image result for smiley lol I'm not laughing

Message 2074 of 12,453
Latest reply

Hi escar

Can I ask you what you feed the possums?  There is a little female possum who comes each evening for a hand out (for seven or eight months now). She is a Northern brush tail possum - quite a bit smaller than those you have in the south.  I suspect she was hand fed from very young because although she lives wild, she is tame enough to pat while she is eating.  She has raised one joey and I noticed yesterday has a new baby in the pouch. 

I have been giving her fruit and raw vegetable (apple, carrot, sweet potato, capsicum) occasionally orange or mandarin.  She wont eat green veggies (fussy little madam) but is very partial to bread.  I was told that bread is bad for them so stopped giving it to her.  I did give her pieces of wraps reasoning that is had no yeast so should be OK but I'm not sure - she was happy to eat it though.

I notice you mention seeds and macaroni - is that for the possums or the birds?  Is there anything I should be including?  Regarding quantity, she would get about a cup and a half full of chopped fruit and vege each evening.  It seems a lot but she isn't getting fat so I figure its ok.  She seems very healthy but I do worry about her dependence on handouts.

Message 2075 of 12,453
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
Modern bread is bad full stop. It is high GI and lacking in nutrition and all animals can become diabetic when eating too much high GI food
Message 2076 of 12,453
Latest reply

Here's a list of foods I copied from a wildlife/sanctuary site, that I've been working my way through, sometimes without success, ha ha. They can be picky eaters.

`Food suitable for brushtails.jpg

They get sunflower kernels, and sometimes sunflower seed, both have a high fat content, so they're "snack" foods.

They like raisin toast, but I don't give them too much because they prefer the expensive raisin toast, ha ha.

I don't give them milk or dairy products, or chocolate, I'd hate to think how they'd fail to metabolise those...

They don't mind walnuts, they turn their noses up, on the whole, at green vegies. They ignored the celery and the lettuce.

They either do or they don't like large red apples, but they don't like green apples.

With macaroni it's like feeding a two year old; either they'll eat it or it will be left for the magpies to pick over at dawn.

Actually, that could be the rule for a lot of what I put out.

I thought they'd like sweet potato. I sliced up a bit and put it out for them and couldn't understand why it wasn't touched.

A few days later, after some further reading, I discovered the answer - Cooked sweet potato.

I boiled it for 15 minutes, to make it soft, and they loved it.

For about two or three days, then it wasn't new and interesting, anymore, ha ha.

They like sweet corn, corn on the cob, as long as it's cut into slices, and then quarters because they're easy to pick up.

They didn't like grapes when I tried them, but they probably pick their own from the grape vine on the back fence, and I haven't tried beetroot with them. They don't like tinned foods. They turned their noses up at the tinned sliced peaches, so i think it might be fresh or nothing.

But this only applies to these possums. Don't take it as a rule of thumb that all possums will look at tinned peaches and say "Erk!", it could just be this lot being picky, ha ha.

Hopefully there's something in all of that which might help you with your little visitor.

🙂

Message 2077 of 12,453
Latest reply

Thanks so much.....that's a huge help.  I'll keep doing what I am and add in some nuts and seeds and maybe a bit of cooked pasta occasionally.  I have occasionally put out cherry tomatos, strawberries and grapes when there are leftovers and they are gobbled up.

Unlike yours, Bella really enjoys raw sweet potato and she will eat pumpkin too.  I think it's really funny how she won't eat anything green.....I did put out some leftover cooked peas once and she ate those but celery, beans, lettuce etc are immediately discarded (pulled out of the dish and left on the ground!).

thanks againSmiley Happy

Message 2078 of 12,453
Latest reply

I'm glad to help, Amber. 🙂

There's a certain girl possum who lives here who is a terror when it comes to rejecting food.

When she's up on the platform just above head height, every so often pieces of food come sailing off the platform, deftly cast aside.

I really know when I haven't got the breakfast menu "right", ha ha.

🙂

Message 2079 of 12,453
Latest reply

Sorry, the text in the picture's really small.

It says - He told his dad he wanted to learn how to train his new dog,

and his dad said there were lots of dog training videos on

YouTube. So, here he is, showing them to the puppy...

6564dce32f56746b70ec4cc32bf706f1.jpg

🙂

Message 2080 of 12,453
Latest reply